Is live used to perform ?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Tweaking Knobs

Is live used to perform ?

Post by Tweaking Knobs » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:23 pm

If so , why not make the option of tempo synced events like the on off buttons ?

i mean , an example would be , i ahve a eq3 on the master channel , so i want to create a breakdown by turning all the bass off (with the low button off on the eq3 )

so i could tell live to have the same principle as in the clips , so next bar , or next 1/4 of bar turn that button off.

so i press the button somewhere in between the last 1/4 of bar , then the button would turn off exactly at the beggining of the next bar.

this can be done with dummy clips , but is tedious and then you are restricted to that specific clip.

watcha think ?

haters please keep your thoughts. :D

outershpongolia

Re: Is live used to perform ?

Post by outershpongolia » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:28 pm

Tweaking Knobs wrote:If so , why not make the option of tempo synced events like the on off buttons ?

i mean , an example would be , i ahve a eq3 on the master channel , so i want to create a breakdown by turning all the bass off (with the low button off on the eq3 )

so i could tell live to have the same principle as in the clips , so next bar , or next 1/4 of bar turn that button off.

so i press the button somewhere in between the last 1/4 of bar , then the button would turn off exactly at the beggining of the next bar.

this can be done with dummy clips , but is tedious and then you are restricted to that specific clip.

watcha think ?

haters please keep your thoughts. :D
This would work wonders for beat repeats.. The way I have them set up, if I don't release at the right time I'll get a funky click.. So annoying..

Would definitely be cool if live had some kind of global LFO effect thingy majig too.

Hermanus

Post by Hermanus » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:11 pm

ah then go and up this topic
maybe we could have this feature for live 9

Data Clips on Group Header + Fx & Master tracks

Something like that:

I would really appreciate for both fx return tracks
And master where we could make some cool slow up/down tempo, real time, I would LOVE this!

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:15 pm

I always used to thing that would be good, in fact - I used to speculate on "macros" which were more akin to photoshop's recordable "actions"; where you do a series of interface based acts and then they can be retriggered from one button.
So perhaps I might do these actions in sequence:
  1. drop the kick out,
  2. turn the delay send up on the snare,
  3. play with the feedback on the delay return,
  4. alter the EQ on the whole drums, then bring it all back in (kill delay, bring drums back on the beat)
now, if I had just done that, and I thought it was quite well done (!) it would be great to say "store that interaction to a key" . now sometime later in my set when I want to do the same thing again I could be confident that pressing the key would replay those actions. Leaving my hands free to alter the replayed actions to give it some variation

Of course, this has not been included in the program, but I still think it would be a nice thing to have. Interface "actions" that you can retrospectively "sample" and playback,
quantised if you like ;)

Poster

Post by Poster » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:36 pm

I use quantized button actions with Reaktor a lot.. would love to see such a feature in Live..

flippo

Post by flippo » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:41 pm

You can do this kind of thing by having midi track send to IAC (mac), Midi Yoke (pc) or even just a physical midi cable, send the signal back to live as a remote control. So you could have a midi clip that will mute things rhythmically, adjust send levels, morph your reverb sends from one 'preset' to another. Anything that you can assign midi to, really. (Or if you come in via bomes, anything that can be done with keystroke aswell). Would be nice if there where a less awkward solution for some of the more obvious things, though! General custom performance macros etc.

oddstep

Post by oddstep » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:07 am

could cc data be quantised by playing notes into a clocksynced arp which is then sent to something which can transform notes into cc data. Midiox? Bomes?

fx23

Post by fx23 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:54 am

Usine free VSTi can do that, even for live ,pick midi in, apply QT, reouput midi out.

http://www.sensomusic.com/usine

can even do that as osc as im actually trying, ie a swich is quantified to contol any live device, with no midi assigment needed.
it can do much more in standalone, it's a true live oriented software, as expamle this basic feature you expect on a live software is avaible for every interface item, can be "quantize",set max/min, be in absolute, relative, ect, automation live sampled/replayed ect..
in fact every things live miss that make you think well, should'nt "live" be called "extented sequencer", as there are far more live oriented software, usine being the best ive ever seen.
mmmm would not have same commercial success maybe..

live is a great software, i love it and use it from v3, butfor me it's no more the best
"true live" software. It's a big compagny mix of features between asked conveniant daw features and cleanest/easiest/clever workflow ever made fore sure, still a true live oriented softare need to match the live performes demand, and this can only be accomplish by a modular approach imo.

live have filled their lack with picking Max for live, this is an intelligent solution as max is really the best candidate for that, and live will remained "user friendly".

what is cool with usine is that's all with one soft only, from building your custom racks, custmoizig your controls and runn them full screen with ie multitouch screen, right of the box, and it's cost a fraction of what cost ie live+max4live+lemur+mu=$$$$, usine free+wiimote = 0, while doing better imo for "true live performance", even for free!!
(im not speaking about extended djing or cueing presequensed liveset, but live performance, might the limit being hard to describe nowadays... )

drumrak

Post by drumrak » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:36 am

you need to make dummy clips that control whatever you want, then bam! quantized on/offs or beat repeats!

fx23

Post by fx23 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:45 am

yes but that's very limited, you can't ie set during your live when you want to have a "globall items quantize" of i/4, or 1/16, as it would need to create tons of dummy clips, whereas here i just set to 1/4 on a button and i'm done, or say that a fader you control will start to interact only next bar, not possible, many oter things... in fact that just works for triggers or pre sequensed ataumation, and very boring to setup.

outershpongolia

Post by outershpongolia » Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:21 am

fx23 wrote:yes but that's very limited, you can't ie set during your live when you want to have a "globall items quantize" of i/4, or 1/16, as it would need to create tons of dummy clips, whereas here i just set to 1/4 on a button and i'm done, or say that a fader you control will start to interact only next bar, not possible, many oter things... in fact that just works for triggers or pre sequensed ataumation, and very boring to setup.
Groups inside of Groups (nested groups?) would make my life so much easier.. I'd be able to get away with all the dummy clip biznass I'd like to experiment with, without messing up the organization of my set <------- which is KEY

drumrak

Post by drumrak » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:29 pm

fx23 wrote:yes but that's very limited, you can't ie set during your live when you want to have a "globall items quantize" of i/4, or 1/16, as it would need to create tons of dummy clips, whereas here i just set to 1/4 on a button and i'm done, or say that a fader you control will start to interact only next bar, not possible, many oter things... in fact that just works for triggers or pre sequensed ataumation, and very boring to setup.

:roll:

boring to prequantize your effects?

uh oh!

sinnatagg

Post by sinnatagg » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:54 am

Tweaking Knobs wrote:If so , why not make the option of tempo synced events like the on off buttons ?
Use clips.

-a

sinnatagg

Post by sinnatagg » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:59 am

outershpongolia wrote: This would work wonders for beat repeats.. The way I have them set up, if I don't release at the right time I'll get a funky click.. So annoying..
http://sinnatagg.synth.no/chopper/chopper.html

Examples (warning not minimal or dubstep):
http://sinnatagg.synth.no/mp3/End.Commu ... 080924.mp3 (abit subtle I guess)
http://sinnatagg.synth.no/mp3/Badass&Si ... 080724.mp3 (drumsolo about halfway)

-a