Ok seriously, APC40 or Launchpad?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
The Empireal Formula

Ok seriously, APC40 or Launchpad?

Post by The Empireal Formula » Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:53 pm

everywhere i look its Launchpad this, launchpad that, yada yada yada. I feel like the APC is under the launchpad's shadow. So wut's everybody's take on this? Howcome there's all this hype on the launchpad and not so much the APC?

idk i think their both awesome but i feel that launchpad has more advertisement behind it

Captain Johnson

Re: Ok seriously, APC40 or Launchpad?

Post by Captain Johnson » Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:59 pm

...... I own an APC40 and think its main advantage over LP is the LED encoders/faders/cross fader/solo,mute,arm buttons are all in front on you.

I find the APC40 is the most functional for what I want/need to do on stage but that is me.

Why don't you try and demo either one somewhere???

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:05 pm

APC40 for sure here.

exper

Post by exper » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:11 pm

I purchased the APC first, but when the LP came out, I considered selling/trading for it, but after demo-ing it and looking at build quality, I'm glad I stayed with the APC. It is a tank, whereas the LP feels like a toy. I wish the APC had an 8x8 grid, but not enough to make the switch... besides, I use my iphone for monome emulation via the haplome app. if I really need to...

However, I definitely would not consider only going with the APC20 only. Not enough control there. It would make a nice addition to my '40 as an expander, but methinks this would be slightly overkill?

dj_blueprint

Post by dj_blueprint » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:12 pm

Wait and get the APC20

Smaller footprint and versatile as the 40.

marconk

Post by marconk » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:13 pm

dj_blueprint wrote:Wait and get the APC20

Smaller footprint and versatile as the 40.
I agree.
Then get some other support controller.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:19 pm

I have both, they're similar but different.

when I got the APC that put my Novation SL out of action because the APC has shuttle control and I can select/solo/arm tracks. also, sliders really are the best way to control track levels. the x-fader is handy as are the buttons right above it. I don't use the encoders too much because I have the APC on my right and a BCR on my left. overall I rate it as a studio controller, use it to generally set the controls for a set.

then I got the Launch Pad, fun fun fun. USB powered and it's small enough to hold in your lap or with one hand while the other hits it. it's much more of a performance controller than the APC. it also has a larger button matrix than the APC. it's real easy to launch clips in its Session mode then switch to Mixer mode for levels, send A/B, solo, track on/off etc. it's nice that the LEDs are different brightnesses when a setting is tweaked (hard to explain.)

the analogy I like is that the LP is the id (crazy animal) and the APC is the ego (sense of self.)

the LP is more fun but the APC is an anchor for my setup. as for what to get, it depends on what you already have.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

djsynchro

Post by djsynchro » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:22 pm

Everyone who's defending the APC is just pissed they didn't get the LP because now that the lunchpad (please chack your spalling) is out the APC isn't worth $hit 2nd hand anymore either!

The oracle has spoken, ignore at your own peril.

APC: A pricey cunt

Zeddy

Post by Zeddy » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:27 pm

APC for sure. The encoders are by far the best part of the controller and get the most use by me. The Device Control section is just about perfect in my opinion. I almost couldn't use Live without it now

HeadrickProductions

Post by HeadrickProductions » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:35 pm

first off it is almost impossible to compare the two cause of the cost difference apc is almost twice as exspensive

I've got both...

LP is nice cause it is easier to do midi routing, no need for another power source (really important to me)
It is also good that under user 1 you can control drum racks and vst's (i think in the apc20 you can do the same)

In my opinion if you are just comparing the two, out of the box the apc 40 is much better for ME

I know you can map knobs and faders under user 1 and 2 under the lp but it does not give you exact control (kinda like the axiom 49 knobs but not quite as bad)

the thing that is a downfall for the apc 20 is that you need a external power source, which to me makes no sense....
In a K induced Haze (the old K kind not the special K kind ), but an Asian spizz can sometimes bring me out! If ya don't get it, ya never will.

Swing like your life depends on it

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:40 pm

HeadrickProductions wrote:the thing that is a downfall for the apc 20 is that you need a external power source, which to me makes no sense....
way too many LEDs around the encoders to power it over USB. it's not like you're going to move it, wire it up with USB and power and leave it. your mileage seems to vary.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

djsynchro

Post by djsynchro » Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:13 am

Lunchpad and Nocturn will give you a superior set up and leave enough ca$h to get a big bag of Peruvian flake.
W0rd 2 y0 m4m4

Captain Johnson

Post by Captain Johnson » Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:20 am

djsynchro wrote:Lunchpad and Nocturn will give you a superior set up and leave enough ca$h to get a big bag of Peruvian flake.
W0rd 2 y0 m4m4
Won't leave you with the control functions of the APC40. I also hear the build quality of both those products isn't all that either....much like the street cocaine widely available in Europe.

nowtime

Post by nowtime » Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:52 am

The power supply alone was enough to make me dislike the APC40: it's designed like crap, took up 2 spots on my power supply with a very short cord.

I loved the record arm buttons on it. They just work. I wish the Launchpad had some dedicated record-arm and mute buttons that I didn't need to page to.

I like the LP. 8 scenes is a minimum necessity. 5 scenes on the APC is a bit of a joke. I like the mixer page on the LP, but paging back and forth doesn't work for me in the heat of creativity ( I do live multi-track looping). I use the BCR2000 and BCF2000 for my knobs and sliders. I am having problems with the LP in combination with my Korg Nanopad. I get pops and clicks when scrolling or launching. Don't know what I'm going to do about that.

Neither unit is flexible. At least the LP gives you a couple extra blank pages to program for your own needs. But you're stuck with it sending the note it wants to send. I don't know why you can't program it like a normal midi controller.

edit: Also the APC40 made my Behringers go bonkers unless the Takeover mode was set to None, which made the APC40 controls worthless in conjunction with the Behringers. Maybe I did something wrong there.
Life is Good

Captain Johnson

Post by Captain Johnson » Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:25 am

Different controllers work better for different needs, I have no problem with the design or amount of clips in the matrix on APC40. All the other functions are superb too.

To work within limitations is a skill not be ignored or afraid of either.... :wink: