Novation nocturn potmeter problem

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
basskillaversus

Novation nocturn potmeter problem

Post by basskillaversus » Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:33 pm

Hi!

I have one of novation nocturn midi controller,
I have some problem with the potmeters,
I did a test with all of potentiometers,and my experience is:when I moving fast any knobs 0-127,they moveing randomly ,
I can saw it when the Points X Size value was 1.000, when I moved up this value,i didnt feel the same, but it still not working
fine,and i think its good when I can move any parameters fast.

The stuff sold at 2009,when I bought it,it was used.
I dont know,is this a problem,or not,I mean If I try one brand new nocturn maybe I have the same experience?!

What do U think about that?

Thanx for answers!

Josh Liebe

Re: Novation nocturn potmeter problem

Post by Josh Liebe » Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:41 pm

I've had my Nocturn for just over a year and some of the encoders have started acting erratically, so I'm looking for a new controller now. It's a shame cause I really liked the little guy.
Wanted to get a Nocturn keyboard but I'm scared of any Novation products that use those touch sensitive encoders :/

33tetragammon

Post by 33tetragammon » Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:39 pm

hi,

i've had that same problem with a remote sl 37 AND nocturn,it's always the crap quality endless pots.
no Novation controllers for me anymore(except the brilliant launchpad) unless they start using quality parts for it(Akai pots anyone,or N.I's?),and build it like a tank.

shame,since i really liked automap and those lcd screens on the remote sl mk1's(stupid decision to leave out the second lcd screen on the mk2's).

so Novation,get your S@%t straight,and give your customers good quality that's made to last.

esteban2010

Post by esteban2010 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 5:52 pm

the same here. Nocturn is a very bad controller. No more novation for me.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:47 pm

I've seen this kind of weirdness with my BCR. I go to assign a midi control and it's all messed up. it seems to happen when I don't give the knob a good long twist, short twiddles on the knob seem to be interpreted wrong.

hth :?
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

rosti

Post by rosti » Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:42 pm

I also have one of the encoders of my Remote SL working on random. Its the first one of the top row and important stuff like autofilter cutoff tend to be automapped to that one. It works better if i push it down a little bit so it may be contact failure or something.. dont know. Not best quality of hardware.

basskillaversus

Post by basskillaversus » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:55 pm

Its very bad news Dudes!
I can't belive it,I think so many people need (cheap) led ring midi controller,and nobody make it.
Maybe I will change the endless encoders in nocturn...

Manik

Post by Manik » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:42 pm

im dealing with the same novation issues!!
i really like the led indicators around the knobs because you can see where you left your filter/setting but from day one that i have the nocturn, the knobs aren't smooth and sometimes get stuck. also really stupid that they made a learn button wich you can accedently hit and fuck up you're set..
hope novation learns from their mistakes and poor build quality
are the akai knobs (apc) any better??

basskillaversus

Post by basskillaversus » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:49 am

I tried the akai mpk 88's potmeters,and those are working perfect.
But its my brand new stuff,I can't try older,used stuff.
Perheps used are different,I don't known.

33tetragammon

Post by 33tetragammon » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:28 am

Manik wrote:im dealing with the same novation issues!!
i really like the led indicators around the knobs because you can see where you left your filter/setting but from day one that i have the nocturn, the knobs aren't smooth and sometimes get stuck. also really stupid that they made a learn button wich you can accedently hit and fuck up you're set..
hope novation learns from their mistakes and poor build quality
are the akai knobs (apc) any better??
akai apc/mpk knobs are definitely better,more sturdy and don't wobble like on novation hardware crap.

Neil(Focusrite/Novation)

Post by Neil(Focusrite/Novation) » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:53 am

Hi,

In 2008, an early batch of Novation Nocturn (Keyboardlesss) controller products were manufactured with sub-standard quality smooth encoders. These issues were addressed shortly after this batch was shipped.

Symptoms of this problem are erratic performance of the encoders when turning them.

Novation Encourages any user experiencing these issues to contact their local novation support representative and they will endeavor to address the issue.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Novation UK

Coupe70

Post by Coupe70 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:23 am

Hi Neil,

does that apply to a certain rage of serial numbers ?
Just would like to know if I COULD experience these problems in the future...
Phongemeinschaft (Live-ElectroJazz / NuJazz)
Homepage - youtube - Like! :-)
Live 9 (32Bit), HP DV7, i5 2,53GHz, 8 GB RAM, Win7 (64Bit)

andysweetuk

Post by andysweetuk » Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:08 pm

It still a problem and i bought a nocturn keyboard in Feb 2011

noou

Post by noou » Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:31 pm

same problem here, with just bought Nocturn:
two pots behave erratically, so that when I sweep them, the corresponding parameter goes a bit backwards here and there, as if the pot was slipping.
touch sense doesn't work well: some of the controls don't respond to touch, unless touched repeatedly. Also it happens that I touch one control and a different one is sensed!

This week-end I will participate in a music workshop, but next week I'll get a new Nocturn from the local shop where I've bought mine.
Last edited by noou on Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
.:: (noou) - electronic + music ::.
noou.bandcamp.com

salatspinatra

Post by salatspinatra » Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:41 pm

I'm having the same problem, yet I suspect there is something else behind it. My default mapping does not come up if my default live library isn't connected or if my other controllers are not connected. I have automap pro.

In this scenario, when not all my gear is connected, I get a separate default map that works similarly (because I set it up that way) but has never been all too consistent to its performance when my other automaped products are connected. I hardly ever touch the encoders, and no one smokes in my studio, so they shouldn't be worn down, should they?

But sure enough, they are acting erratic. Feels more like a conflict in the control assignment or the chosen pick-up behavior. And didn't ableton's last update change the default takeover mode to value scaling instead of pick-up? It might be worth inspecting why they made that decision and whether its affecting the nocturn.

I must say, adjusting the parameter increments and steps in automap have never played nicely with me. Often it simply doesn't take the likely value, even if, for example, the knob right next to it has been assigned in a similar fashion. What's up with that?