Fly Lo set-up?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
bt12

Fly Lo set-up?

Post by bt12 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:54 pm

Any one have any insights?

I saw him last night at the mezzanine and couldn't see his gear, but he seemed to be moving back and forth a lot potentially utilizing a couple controllers and a mixer. And the way he blends and morphs beats and sounds into one another made me curious about his set-up in and outside of LIVE.

john gordon

Re: Fly Lo set-up?

Post by john gordon » Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:00 pm

i was there as well. great show although,i hated kode9.

bt12

Post by bt12 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:09 pm

haha, kode 9 was like spring break 2010 in cancun. . .

But who was in the balcony and could see the set-up?

john gordon

Post by john gordon » Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:17 pm

i know he uses ableton,but not sure which controllers,he'es pretty hush hush about his set up i heard.

The Empireal Formula

Post by The Empireal Formula » Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:56 pm

are you talking about flying lotus?

if so, i seen some posts talkin about his setup. It was Ableton, MPD24, and i think like an Xone Dj mixer controller

nylarch

Post by nylarch » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:24 pm

Please elaborate on the merits of Kode9's set. Was going to see this show in NY on Tues primarily to see Kode9 (I like FlyLo but have seen him several times).
MacBook Pro; Live 8 Suite, Reaktor; '77 Fender Jazz Bass; Apogee One;

bt12

Post by bt12 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:13 pm

TALKING ABOUT FLY-LO: intersting...I am sure it would be hard to find out his exact set-up inside and out of ableton-a recording of the show could help as far as listening again to what was going on-but he seemed to have it broken down in a way that he had either extreme control over the sounds via controllers or extreme control via lots of clips of variations of sounds. Probably a hybrid of both lots of clip options and control options, but thought it would be cool to try and get some more specifics.

TALKING ABOUT KODE 9: = two cdj's and a red and green rave laser light show. . . lots of uk funk and dancehall but very unoriginal sounding tracks.

PLacidBasilisk

Post by PLacidBasilisk » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:30 pm

I heard that he's given up using all hardware in production. Obviously that doesn't apply to his live show, but when it comes to making tracks, apparently he just uses a lappy.

CITYSTATE

Post by CITYSTATE » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:41 pm

saw flying lotus last night and also last month. pretty certain he's just using an mpd32. i got up close to the side at his vancouver show and it was super simple. i think he might run the output through the dj mixer to use the eq/filter.

kode9 was odd last night. straight up a.d.d. set from start to finish.

it's really funny how between flylo, nosaj thing, etc. using mpd's i have NO IDEA what they're doing and there is no connection between what i see and what i hear.

in a way, the lack of serato and weirdness/mistakes made kode9's set feel real and kind of better to me.

UnCL0NED

Post by UnCL0NED » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:11 am

I saw his show last month in Paradiso, Amsterdam. I stood on the balcony where I had a nice view on the stand.
I'm pretty sure he just had his Macbook Pro running Ableton Live controlled by an Akai MPD32 and an Akai LPK25. I didn't recognize his audio interface. He used the mixer from the venue...

The sad thing was that he was barely controlling his liveset. It seemed he was only triggering a collection of about 8 samples (which he triggered multiple times) over his pre-recorded mix, and he only used one fader all the time for controlling the volume (or as a x-fader, I'm not sure). That was it! He didn't even touch the LPK25 during the set.

I really like his music, but watching him "live" was a big turnoff.

Before him, Four Tet did a show, which was much cooler. He also triggered his songs, but did much more live control and additional sound creation on top of it. He even used his iPod Touch to create some synth sounds. Maybe it wasn't the most difficult thing to do, but it added so much extra to his performance.

I believe that it is very important for producers/artists, to put some thought in how they perform. Just triggering your own songs nowadays isn't enough. There are so many ways to control your set, and if you don't use these tools, I think it's a missed opportunity. Of course, you can also DJ. But don't call it a live performance, and only DJ... Four Tet is a good example: He announced he'd do a Live performance in Paradiso first and later that evening a DJ-set in The Melkweg! At least I know what I can expect then!
soundcloud
"everything you read on the internet is true!"

logic_user99

Post by logic_user99 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:03 am

Interesting thread, boys. I do like to read on 'how it's done' - esp. about guys like that.
Macbook | Live 7.0.18 |

bt12

Post by bt12 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:09 pm

UnCLoned, I am surprised to hear this. He must have a couple different sets, or maybe even make a new one for each show? because even though I couldn't see his gear, I could see his screen and he was going through far more than just a few samples.

I missed the four tet show here and am a little bummed, I'll have to catch him next time around.

UnCL0NED

Post by UnCL0NED » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:29 am

@bt12: I couldn't see his screen. Maybe he did have more clips in his set. But from what I could make out of it, he barely controlled the music you heard. Maybe it was all follow actions or something like that, because when you did see him push a button on his MPD (once every 5 minutes or so), you could hear one of the same few samples he used over and over. It's not like he was passive or anything... But like I said: I expected a Live show and not a DJ set! Maybe it's just my personal idea of a live performance.
soundcloud
"everything you read on the internet is true!"

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:51 pm

I think the least impressive performance award has to go to Glitch Mob, essentially 4 dudes on stage performing a DJ set that could be done by just 1 of them. And far from their name there isn't a lot of live glitching or mangling going on. They're too busy pumping the "ain't this cool" air.

But unlike a lot of people on here, I don't think a lot of people in the crowd really give a shit about that. All they care about is what is coming out of the speakers…right or wrong for a "performance".

logic_user99

Post by logic_user99 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:21 pm

beats me wrote:I think the least impressive performance award has to go to Glitch Mob, essentially 4 dudes on stage performing a DJ set that could be done by just 1 of them. And far from their name there isn't a lot of live glitching or mangling going on. They're too busy pumping the "ain't this cool" air.

But unlike a lot of people on here, I don't think a lot of people in the crowd really give a shit about that. All they care about is what is coming out of the speakers…right or wrong for a "performance".
That made me chuckle. I just read about these guys on CDM - there was a whole bunch of talk on the technical aspects of their performance (networking three lemurs, computer power etc) but very little talk on making tunes or performing them! The track that they're giving away at the moment is about good enough for that... a give-away. To my ears, it's Timbaland with choppier drums!

Never mind...
Macbook | Live 7.0.18 |