sync multiple instances of Live 8 on a single computer?

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
4schler

sync multiple instances of Live 8 on a single computer?

Post by 4schler » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:30 am

I have what seems to me to be a bear of a problem:

I'm attempting to sync two instances of live on my computer to play simultaneously. They both run stably enough, but I'm trying to get them to sync together for performance. The kicker here is I don't have access to any hardware but my Zoom H2, and I'm trying to get playback from one instance of Live to play through that, and the other instance to play through the native line out on my comp. Is this even possible? Is there a simpler way to do this (such as assigning different tracks in live to play through different hardware, somehow)?

My aim is to basically jury rig a 2-output system with minimal hardware (just the Zoom) so that I can have a separate output and headphone monitor mix for a recital I'm putting on soon. I'm trying to get a click with the track in my headphone monitor mix, but no click in the regular output (which will go to a PA), so that I hear the click and the audience doesn't. I know this would be so much simpler if I had the proper hardware, but I simply can't afford it presently. Any help would be much appreciated!
Comp 1: Acer Travelmate w/ 2 GHz Centrino Duo, 2GB RAM, Windows XP
Comp 2: Asus Eee 1201n w/ 1.6 GHz Atom, 2 GB RAM, Windows 7 Home Premium
Live Suite 8.1.3, Pd-extended 0.41.4, Nodal 1.6

Da hand

Re: sync multiple instances of Live 8 on a single computer?

Post by Da hand » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:14 am

Are you on MAC or PC?

On PC, as far as I know, you can only use one audio interface at a time.

4schler

Post by 4schler » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:53 pm

I'm on a pc running (*gasp*) windows 7. So far, I've actually been successful getting each separate instance of live to output through separate devices. It's just syncing them up that's the problem.

ibdk

Post by ibdk » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:02 pm

Isn't there any way you could just make it one live set and fade between two outputs? To me it just seems like you're asking for sync issues unless for some odd reason live can be a slave and a master rewire app at the same time. I would try to consolidate into one Live session unless there is a real impossibility with that.

4schler

Post by 4schler » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:54 pm

ibdk - I would do that if I had appropriate hardware, ie something with more than one stereo output channel. As it stands, each instance of Live can only output through one device, and each of my two available devices only have one output. Really, I just need to be able to start each live set at the exact same time if possible. Maybe I'm just dense, but I haven't figured out a way to do this through re-wire, even though the second instance of live always starts in slave mode, technically.

randrohe

Post by randrohe » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:54 am

Do the tracks have to be output in stereo? you could use one live set and one computer with a hard pan left and right for a total of 2 different tracks..just a thought

Omniology

Post by Omniology » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:30 am

you need one outboard midi device/ controll and physicslly hard wire a midi in to a midi out. one instance will have it set for in put the other as midi out.

I have done this in seven. works approximatly, oh and make one m,aster and the other slave. If I recall it did fluctuate. interresting results though.

Om

Amplidude

Post by Amplidude » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:13 pm

Or you can use Midi Yorke to route Midi inside your computer.

Omniology

Post by Omniology » Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:18 pm

I had no luck with the yoke but, maybe i'm more hardware oriented. you can sync traktor the same way

Om

C_Mai

Post by C_Mai » Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:06 pm

Hi 4schler, i actually just wanted to ask you. Do you run Ableton on your Asus Eee Pc 1201N? :P
and if yes, how does it run on it?
i've been thinking of buying one of those and i'm just wondering if i'm gonna be able to run Ableton on it...
cheers,
-Konstantine