8.1.3???

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
HeadrickProductions

8.1.3???

Post by HeadrickProductions » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:23 pm

So let me get this straight cause I am not that smart :mrgreen:

Everything that I have worked on in live 8 up until this point is no longer usable once I jump on board with 8.1.3

Or is it just live sets.
I have different presets saved, and insturments made. Can I use these things or do I have to do it all over again :evil:

Luckily I mainly use live to make music on the spot. I'd be a little bit unhappy if I had been working on major products that I could no longer access in the more "stable version"

So I am guessing that since they took down the quality statements and compatibility threads that they are now SWEARING by both the stability and compatibility of live 8.1.3. I should feel comforted by this move, but after reading all the beta threads I am not sure if this is just another ploy.

I truly hope they are being honest with the folks that they keep jerking around

I am going to try to remain positive until I see anything otherwise
In a K induced Haze (the old K kind not the special K kind ), but an Asian spizz can sometimes bring me out! If ya don't get it, ya never will.

Swing like your life depends on it

nebulae

Re: 8.1.3???

Post by nebulae » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:28 pm

If you open a liveset in 8.1.3 and then save, then you will not be able to open it in earlier versions. This has been the case with every release of Live thus far, even incremental .x releases, so it's not news to any of us. In fact, it's been a gripe for a while as to why we can't open in older versions, especially when newer versions have bugs. But whatevs, that's the way it is.

rsaulo

Post by rsaulo » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:34 pm

Maybe this version can be better than 8.1.2b7 that is crashing all the time with M4L patches and some VST´s to me...

You can open all your stuff in this version, but cannot rollback to early version. It´s the same with all previous releases..

Dennis DeSantis

Post by Dennis DeSantis » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:38 pm

Everything that I have worked on in live 8 up until this point is no longer usable once I jump on board with 8.1.3

Or is it just live sets.
I have different presets saved, and insturments made. Can I use these things or do I have to do it all over again
No, this is backwards.

Sets, presets, etc. made in EARLIER versions will ALWAYS be usable in newer ones. The issue is simply about going in the other direction; Sets, presets, etc made with 8.1.3 will NOT be usable in previous versions.
So I am guessing that since they took down the quality statements and compatibility threads that they are now SWEARING by both the stability and compatibility of live 8.1.3. I should feel comforted by this move, but after reading all the beta threads I am not sure if this is just another ploy.
No, there are no "ploys." We didn't take the other posts down. We simply un-stickyed them so that the latest quality post would be more noticeable. The compatibility threads are also not entirely up-to-date, and this information is better presented on our FAQs anyway. The un-stickying of posts is simply for clarity.

There's no dishonesty or revisionist history or anything. We never delete posts. We just want to start using stickies to highlight current, relevant info.

We believe that the 8.1.3RC will fix many problems, but to make sure, this is still not an official release. We want to hear from you to make sure that things really are working well.

Best,

zee verkawound

Post by zee verkawound » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:42 pm

I am just looking forward to going back to 8 Suite as my Ableton home base. 6 is wonderfully stable but 8 offers a great deal more capability as well as all the 2nd party VSTi.

I think it will be a while before I take it out though.

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:43 pm

Dennis DeSantis wrote:

Or is it just live sets.
I have different presets saved, and insturments made. Can I use these things or do I have to do it all over again
No, this is backwards.

Sets, presets, etc. made in EARLIER versions will ALWAYS be usable in newer ones. The issue is simply about going in the other direction; Sets, presets, etc made with 8.1.3 will NOT be usable in previous versions.
No, there are no "ploys." We didn't take the other posts down. We simply un-stickyed them so that the latest quality post would be more noticeable. The compatibility threads are also not entirely up-to-date, and this information is better presented on our FAQs anyway. The un-stickying of posts is simply for clarity.

There's no dishonesty or revisionist history or anything. We never delete posts. We just want to start using stickies to highlight current, relevant info.

We believe that the 8.1.3RC will fix many problems, but to make sure, this is still not an official release. We want to hear from you to make sure that things really are working well.

Best,
I just don't trust this kind of straight talk. Please throw in some marketing bullshit so that I know you mean what you say.

Dennis DeSantis

Post by Dennis DeSantis » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:51 pm

nebulae wrote:I just don't trust this kind of straight talk. Please throw in some marketing bullshit so that I know you mean what you say.
8.1.3RC - now with even more flavor and fewer calories?

Martyn

Post by Martyn » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:12 pm

Dennis DeSantis wrote:
nebulae wrote:I just don't trust this kind of straight talk. Please throw in some marketing bullshit so that I know you mean what you say.

Mmmmmn, sweeter, and better for the missis! Good enuf for me, d/loading now.

Hidden Driveways

Post by Hidden Driveways » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:17 pm

:)

good one Nebbie!

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:22 pm

Martyn wrote:
Dennis DeSantis wrote:

Mmmmmn, sweeter, and better for the missis! Good enuf for me, d/loading now.
That's how you keep your girlish figure, Martyn. (thank god it's not that bizarre estrogen-therapy you were so excited about)

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:23 pm

Hidden Driveways wrote::)

good one Nebbie!
sarcasm...it cures cancer!

Martyn

Post by Martyn » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:25 pm

nebulae wrote:(thank god it's not that bizarre estrogen-therapy you were so excited about)
:twisted: You lookin at my tits?! ....Again.

HeadrickProductions

Post by HeadrickProductions » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:26 pm

You just have to understand that I am a little weary after the experience I have had in the last year. Then I log in today and the quality statement is gone (or unstuck). I feel that taking it down is a little iffy considering that there is no change that has occured yet. You have to feel me on that one. That being said I am glad to see that you guys have put out another beta. I just know that after reading the beta threads I am not sure if my confidence is that strong yet.....but I am going to try to stay positive until the official release of 8.1.3

You should restick (is that a word) the quality thread and compatibility issues until there are actual changes otherwise is does look SHADY.

Honesty is the best way to go.....

You can rip on me all day....does not change the facts
In a K induced Haze (the old K kind not the special K kind ), but an Asian spizz can sometimes bring me out! If ya don't get it, ya never will.

Swing like your life depends on it

3phase

Post by 3phase » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:28 pm

seems the mood went up?

what about a crash counter? so one can see how god it really is? since b4 i was able to crash evry beta the first day i tried them.. i will see if i manage to do it with this one..

but i upgrade to os 10.63 first...
mac book 2,16 ghz 4(3)gb ram, Os 10.62, fireface 400,

Joshua Lee

Post by Joshua Lee » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:54 pm

I also think that the original 'Quality' post by Gerhard should be re-stickied, or at least linked to in the new sticky, until 8.1.3 is released.

Furthermore, after the smoke settles and Live 8 gets its act together (I am still holding on to my faith in this company for the time being), I think Ableton should also perhaps think of some sort of compensatory action towards their customers who have suffered through all of this. And, of course, releasing a stable version doesn't count, that should've already been the case.

FWIW, I am a customer who still has his Version 1 box in his closet, and who has, until this post, never been critical of Ableton.