Good soundcards for laptops

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Neil

Post by Neil » Wed Jul 24, 2002 11:46 pm

just purchased Sonica from M-audio.. just to check it out(since i am running os x) .. it acted just like the i-mic w/o any inputs.. i was using the analog input on it.. it also has a digital out.. not a bad price ($80) for a digital out sound device... but really.. can anyone really tell the difference between analog and digital when the music is blaring, and your jamming with live... personally, im returning it, using my core audio with 3ms of latency...

laterz
Neil

metasynapticfantastic

RME Hammerfall distribution?

Post by metasynapticfantastic » Sun Jul 28, 2002 8:26 am

RME distribution in the U.S.? any recommendations if so? Thanks in advance.

re: digital vs. analog - i think latency is the biggest issue with which to be concerned. discussing the analog/digital issue is moot considering everything comes out analog in the end and is ultimately at the mercy of the D/A converters. at least until someone offers a direct digital connection into the brain :wink:

The Kooky Scientist

Post by The Kooky Scientist » Sun Jul 28, 2002 2:25 pm

The Nuendo audio box is the same thing. It is built by RME

neuronaut

RME

Post by neuronaut » Sun Jul 28, 2002 6:36 pm

I've been using RME's boxes in 3 different rigs in our studio. Everythings runs fine except the MIDI in on my PowerBook 500Mhz Bronze keyboard laptop. MIDI seems to simply lock the whole thing up. :? I've been using a seperate MIDI device through USB to get around this. Any ideas?

USe

huh

Post by USe » Mon Jul 29, 2002 1:44 am

and these sound cards are all external? connect via usb or? Do you have a link to their website for purchase? also i use a sony vaio, will it be compatible?

i use aardvark direct PRO LX6 on my regular comp, but i'd love to get balanced outs on my laptop too, plz help!?

USE
Delete;Thought
www.illmatikvibes.com

Maxim

Post by Maxim » Thu Jan 30, 2003 12:30 pm

Anybody using the RME Cardbus with MacOSX ??

cheers,

8 fold

Post by 8 fold » Thu Jan 30, 2003 5:38 pm

i use the echo indigo on a pc laptop

it's cheap($99), loud and sounds good

GEO

drumroll57

RME cardbus on OS-X

Post by drumroll57 » Fri Jan 31, 2003 1:50 am

Maxim wrote:Anybody using the RME Cardbus with MacOSX ??

cheers,
Runs like a champ on 10.2.3 - TiBook 1GHz. Good converters. Rock solid. Very portable.

Only minor issue: Doesn't like 'sleep mode', if you put your computer to sleep, nothing will work, will have to do a three-finger-salute and reboot.

Also, forget MIDI for now, it doesn't exist in the driver yet....
stay groovy!

chris_borgia

Post by chris_borgia » Fri Jan 31, 2003 8:22 am

wow.. we have our fair share of people with real knowledge on these subjects.. that is why i like this forum:::::

The RME click issue is not just with the rev b tibooks… it also occurs on rev C, so that’s the 550/667 and 667/800 models. Taking the hdsp_oms file out of the oms folder solves the midi causing click issue- but then you cant use the midi in or out ports of the multiface/digiface. However this is not a complete fix for the issues experienced on these tibooks…you can not bring the cards buffer down to 64 or 128ms as it will cause clicks real easily in live, logic, peak or any other pro app. As stated above this relates to the tibooks pci bus. This pci bus issue does not hinder the firewire 828 or 896 (from MOTU)

Hands down the RME cards are better supported on the pc, but there not that bad on the mac, the motu stuff is a shy bit better in my testing for performance and latency issues, but I still use the rme. Why???? -> sound quality!! Who ever said the Analog to digital conversion is not important (above) might not know the full extent of how important it is. and RME rocks at D/A.
(side note, new titanium powerbooks built in sound does NOT sound as good as the built in sound of the older wall streets, pizmo’s and bronze powerbooks)

Other notes:
*With a 512 setting in my buffer settings for the RME I get 12ms of latency (same as the Mac AV/sound manager driver in OS9) outside of the advantage of having multiouts that the RME gives me, the reason why I don’t use sound manager is because of the sound quality of the Mac VS the RME. RME wins hands down on this. (however within OSX the built in audio core driver gets 3ms!!!!!! That is amazing and the sound diverence is not that big of a deal...:)

*also for some reason i have a bit better performence in live while under soundmanger rather then asio? got me!

*Indigo is not needed for Mac users, but its a great card on the pc (logic does not support it with the indigo’s current driver)

*For the Mac, sound manager is what I use for general all around jumping from peak to live to logic to reason. For instence within live if you hit the edit button on a clip and open your sample editor – peak and live will fight for control over the sound card- and thus they both loose. ------------I hope this gets fixed.

ok, sorry for the long post- hope this helps someone.
chris_borgia

Maxim

Post by Maxim » Fri Jan 31, 2003 12:46 pm

Actually it got me even more confused.

I'm willing to spend $1000 on a multi-out audio device for my TiBook 1Ghz but right now i'm not sure what the best choice is.

I have RME in all my desktops. But the RME-PCI "no-sleep" issue (and the reported pops and clicks) on the TiBook scares me. MOTU is an option but I agree on the AD/DC part, because RME is better in that (better clock). And a Presonus Firestation won't work on OSX until OSX 10.4 (which supports mLan natively). And perhaps there are other manufacturers which make stuff I can use. Though I think MOTU and RME are the top notch.

So, what's it gonna be?

cheers,

datagroove

Post by datagroove » Sat Feb 01, 2003 5:07 am

Maxim wrote:Actually it got me even more confused.
opps, did not mean to do that...

simply put: (for your situation [tibook 1ghz and osx] if you can wait a bit before buying a card that would be my recomendation. Who knows what will happen and when we will see new RME OSX drivers, maybe tommrow.. maybe not for some time....

Take these things into consideration:

the RME OSX drivers are new- yes there is a sleep issue with the tibook if you have the rme even just in the powerbook.. and thats not cool, but further more we did not even talk abou this "BLOCK MONO" mode that it HAS to be in for it to function (that is the RME check this link for more info: http://www.rme-audio.com/english/mac/osxdsp.htm

MOTU stuff is great on the Mac -has been and always will be ...and because of the PCI bus issue on ALL new tibooks i am tempted to say Firewire is beffer chose for pros over Cardbus. (this comment is not true for PC's)

I will do some further testing in OSX with MOTU 828/896 this week and post my thoughts on the MOTU in OSX next week- till then, unless you need multi outs- built in sound while under OSX is 3ms of latency and works great.

chris_borgia

piotto

Post by piotto » Mon Feb 03, 2003 5:54 pm

any idea if digiesign MBox (USB) or 002 (firewire) could be used with live?