Fly Lo set-up?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
beats me

Re: Fly Lo set-up?

Post by beats me » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:37 pm

logic_user99 wrote:
beats me wrote:I think the least impressive performance award has to go to Glitch Mob, essentially 4 dudes on stage performing a DJ set that could be done by just 1 of them. And far from their name there isn't a lot of live glitching or mangling going on. They're too busy pumping the "ain't this cool" air.

But unlike a lot of people on here, I don't think a lot of people in the crowd really give a shit about that. All they care about is what is coming out of the speakers…right or wrong for a "performance".
That made me chuckle. I just read about these guys on CDM - there was a whole bunch of talk on the technical aspects of their performance (networking three lemurs, computer power etc) but very little talk on making tunes or performing them! The track that they're giving away at the moment is about good enough for that... a give-away. To my ears, it's Timbaland with choppier drums!

Never mind...
When I saw them live the music sounded a little too close to the album versions aside from a few interesting transitions between tracks, but nothing to justify 4 guys on stage. Their stage setup looks more like the genius bar at an Apple store than a performance extravaganza. Again, with a name like Glitch Mob I expect more on the performance end.

senator adam

Post by senator adam » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:25 pm

A lot of people in this genre (from what I've seen/heard/played with) just play full tracks (DJ style) and split them into seperate clips with follow actions. They trigger intro, and then main beat, and then chorus, and then chopped up version of the tune, and then back, but it's usually the full song split up into pieces. Some trigger clips on top and random drums or whatever.

You can usually tell who does this if they're intent on hiding their computer or keeping their live setup a mystery...

One of the main reasons to do this though is because lots of songs in this style are super compressed/limited on the master. So, if you only play the stems or seperate tracks, you don't get the big sounding master tune, or the huge pumping compressed/sidechained effect that's so common in the genre... But it's essentially DJing.
My tunes (triphop/downtempo/beats):
http://www.thenewlaw.com

My podcast:
http://www.senatoradam.com

nylarch

Post by nylarch » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:06 pm

One of the main reasons to do this though is because lots of songs in this style are super compressed/limited on the master.
These guys that idolize Dilla need to realize his music still has dynamics. Drag a FlyLo track into a clip sometime to see what I mean.
MacBook Pro; Live 8 Suite, Reaktor; '77 Fender Jazz Bass; Apogee One;

senator adam

Post by senator adam » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:12 pm

I fully agree. I love most of the tunes but some are just soooooo compressed that it hurts to listen to them.
My tunes (triphop/downtempo/beats):
http://www.thenewlaw.com

My podcast:
http://www.senatoradam.com

bt12

Post by bt12 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:21 pm

beats me wrote:Their stage setup looks more like the genius bar at an Apple store than a performance extravaganza.
:mrgreen:

I agree with beats me that a lot of people only care about what is coming out of the speakers. Which in the case of someone I like, FLy Lo, I am cool with. BUT when it is someone I don't like (i.e. GlitchMob) I'll talk shit about them. With electronic music I don't think it needs to be as "live" as a rock band but should be a little more live than pressing play. I think either way so much of the process goes on behind the scene-in the studio-it is hard to recreate that same energy onto the stage, but we're getting there.

bt12

Post by bt12 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:30 pm

netchaiev

Post by netchaiev » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:50 pm

Hey all,

I actually caught the Paris show with Nosaj Thing, Debruit, Reckick and martyn.
Pretty good show overhaul but with bad/not interesting VJs from Germany...
Yes MPD32
MBP 2011/i7/10.8/Live 8 Suite/M4L+Launchpad+TF+KorgNano.
http://soundcloud.com/netchaiev
http://www.vimeo.com/user408737

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:51 pm

bt12 wrote:
beats me wrote:Their stage setup looks more like the genius bar at an Apple store than a performance extravaganza.
:mrgreen:

I agree with beats me that a lot of people only care about what is coming out of the speakers. Which in the case of someone I like, FLy Lo, I am cool with. BUT when it is someone I don't like (i.e. GlitchMob) I'll talk shit about them. With electronic music I don't think it needs to be as "live" as a rock band but should be a little more live than pressing play. I think either way so much of the process goes on behind the scene-in the studio-it is hard to recreate that same energy onto the stage, but we're getting there.
Plus there's an insane amount of controller (and controlling) options out there. Hell, one of the dudes should bust out a Roland octopad and bang out even the most basic of beats. I've seen one dude on stage with more controllers and doing more things than all of Glitch Mob combined. So when I see 4 dudes touring, packing a place and getting paid bank to pump the air to their CD listening party I get a little upset.

sparklepuff

Post by sparklepuff » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:23 am

beats me wrote: Hell, one of the dudes should bust out a Roland octopad and bang out even the most basic of beats.
They do. Stop being such a hater.

Guitar | Synths | Samplers | Ableton @ Phantogram & Big Grams

UnCL0NED

Post by UnCL0NED » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:33 am

I know it's hard to create a convincing show when every sound produced comes from inside a computer. But that doesn't mean you can't be creative about it!

Maybe the whole problem is that Producers are expected to be (performing) Artists as well, which in most cases they are not!

I do think that electronic performers should aim to be like a rock band, when they do a live show.
I would really like to see them play live and even maybe do some stuff I didn't hear on the record. Play a different solo or an "acoustic version" of one of their songs...

Producers should make a clear difference between a DJ set and a Live performance when they announce their shows, so you know (a bit more) what you can expect.
Also, then it is possible to say things like "It was a bad/good performance!" or "The sound on his set, sucked!"...

I've never seen Glitch Mob on stage, but from what I read here, they probably do a very good dj-set ;)
And as far as Flying Lotus goes, he did a nice, well balanced dj-set, with some interesting transitions in Paradiso, last month 8)
soundcloud
"everything you read on the internet is true!"

bt12

Post by bt12 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:01 pm

Very well put.

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:55 pm

sparklepuff wrote:
beats me wrote: Hell, one of the dudes should bust out a Roland octopad and bang out even the most basic of beats.
They do. Stop being such a hater.
They didn't do that on my shift so I'll go on hating.

I don't expect this kind of performance from everybody that produces electronica, but with a lot of dudes on stage and getting paid well to tour at packed or sold out venues I expect more, especially with high energy hype music.

But it seems the pattern is these artists try to milk things as simply as possible until there's a certain amount of "you aren't doing shit" buzz and then they try to up their performance which is something they should have been working on for a long time and not just owning the latest and greatest controllers they are doing very little with. It took Justice a long time to catch on to that too.

john gordon

Post by john gordon » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:47 am

ill-legal?

Post by ill-legal? » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:52 am

So when are you haters going to post up some video footage of your mind-blowing live sets that make these guys look like the lazy fraudulent hacks that you're making them out to be?

db120

Post by db120 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:19 am

ill-legal? wrote:So when are you haters going to post up some video footage of your mind-blowing live sets that make these guys look like the lazy fraudulent hacks that you're making them out to be?
Quoted for truth.