vocal stretch/stutter effect?

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
xeb

vocal stretch/stutter effect?

Post by xeb » Fri Apr 01, 2005 2:00 pm

i'm wanting to reproduce a vocal effect josh wink seems to use a bit in his live sets... not sure what exactly you would call it so searching for it is kinda tricky ;)

vocal is stretched by repeating small overlapping segments

say for "hows your evening so far" it would sound like "ho-ow-ws-yo-ou-ur-ev-ve-en-ni-in-ng.... " etc

can someone point me in the right direction? i'll upload a sample if thats not a clear enough description

mr-e

Post by mr-e » Fri Apr 01, 2005 2:11 pm

you could use the warp markers to stretch the audio (not really the same effect)

or

Cut the sample up in small slices of the same size and trigger these slices with a little delay between them.
Soundforge has an option for quickly slicing a sample into equal bits.
Also you can trigger some of these slices more than once , play with different timings between your slices or reverse order , ...

tomlaw

Post by tomlaw » Fri Apr 01, 2005 4:05 pm

I think I know the effect he's talking about. I was able to easily achieve that in Live last autumn, using Simpler and mapping the startpoint/length/looplength parameters to some MIDI knobs. If I adjusted those parameters while playing a sample, it did those cool stuttering effects.

But I've tried it again recently, with Live 4.1, and it won't do it now! It transitions smoothly through all the changes, which is nice, but I'd like to have the option of the stuttery-glitchy effect too. But maybe I'm doing something different now, and that's why I'm not getting the desired effect... I'll have to play with it some more.

mr-e

Post by mr-e » Fri Apr 01, 2005 6:19 pm

Play with your ADSR settings lowering your decay/release.
Automating the loopstartpoint is idd the best way of achieving the effect imo.

mastermix

Post by mastermix » Sun Apr 03, 2005 1:55 pm

For most basic stutter effects, using midi to trigger sliced samples at 16th or 32nd note intervals, will do the trick....but there are more advanced tricks out there...

Try this Remix Magazine Article on Stuttering Effects;

http://remixmag.com/tech_features/remix ... endencies/

Kris..

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Sun Apr 03, 2005 9:53 pm

simpler definitely does it by assigning midi CC to 'start' and use a short loop with a little x-fade.

I use it a lot when warping won't do the job, its good for 'holding' a sample section with a small loop time - then reverse the sampleby traveling the start point back. Bad pseudo- scratching effects!

watch out that you have to have the Simpler start point set on 50% for it to work right in session - as the graph goes from -50 to +50 in session ... but the graph goes from 0 to 100% in arrangement !

A weird thing.

xeb

Post by xeb » Mon Apr 04, 2005 7:07 pm

thanks all for the answers... was hoping there'd be a nice plug in for this but guess not ;)

for reference i've uploaded a few samples that demonstrate what i'm talking about:

non-stretched + stretched
mega stretched
mega mega stretched
mr-e wrote:Cut the sample up in small slices of the same size and trigger these slices with a little delay between them.
Soundforge has an option for quickly slicing a sample into equal bits.
Also you can trigger some of these slices more than once , play with different timings between your slices or reverse order , ...
not sure this would work as i think there's some overlap between the samples. eg: "sample" becomes "sa-am-mp-pl-le" not "s-a-m-p-l-e"

automating the start point sounds like the way forward

as an aside, any ideas what wink would've been using to do this live?

hacktheplanet

Post by hacktheplanet » Mon Apr 04, 2005 7:29 pm

Perhaps you could try playing the vocal as a regular clip. Adjust the warp setting to beats (i think) and play with the grain size. That might make the garagey stuttered extended vocal effect.

smart1123

Post by smart1123 » Tue Apr 05, 2005 7:58 pm

The very best way to get this effect is to get a DAT machine record your audio to DAT and then play/pause and scrub forward on the DAT and record your sound back, all playing with delays midi repeats etc. is just an attempt to recreate this effect.
No DAT...try the work arounds, but that should get you what you want
15" TiBook 1.5 GHz 1Gig RAM, MOTU Traveller, Live 5, Reaktor 5, Alesis Micron, Yamaha EX-5, UC-33e, BCR2000, Lexicon MPX-1, Orbit, Event 20/20's

IZNODJ

Post by IZNODJ » Wed Apr 06, 2005 9:41 am

Korg Kaos pad...

kabuki

Post by kabuki » Wed Apr 06, 2005 8:50 pm

Ways to do this with a plug in

Simpler Style:
1. Load the sample. Set the LOOP to a really short duration (Like 2 or 3 wavelengths)
2. MIDI assign the sample start to a knob.
3. While playing the sample with MIDI, turn the sample start knob...

How does that work?
15" PB 2.5 Ghz, 4 Gig RAM, 750 GB HD, Live 9 still no cue points or program change messages?!?. Doesn't do shit.

radder

Post by radder » Wed Apr 06, 2005 10:24 pm

One of the VST plugins here (forget which one) does a good job at creating those kind of effects... http://andreas.smartelectronix.com/
myspace.com/raddermusic || soundcloud.com/a-radder || Thinkpad R61 / 3GB RAM / Echo Audiofire 4

jeskola

Post by jeskola » Sun Apr 17, 2005 9:05 pm

hey - just played about and i got something close to this happening.

set up simpler with your sample.

select the length to be 2 or 3 letters long (of however many characters you want to loop - in you example you say sa-am-mp-pl-le - so elength to fit 2 charecters.

turn loop on, and stick fade to 100%

now its up to you - do you want to control this effect manually or over a set time? if ids user controlled set up your controller to assign to Start. If its over a certain time, click on the midi clip, turn on your envelopes, and automate the start to an UNLINKED envelope. a bit of simple maths may be neede to work out some stuff

jeskola

Post by jeskola » Sun Apr 17, 2005 9:12 pm

wow... thiats well cool actually the more i play with it.
try setting lenght to 3% (0% pretty cool too ) and lfo to 12.... sounds well good !!

SimonPHC

Post by SimonPHC » Sun Apr 17, 2005 10:31 pm

kabuki wrote:Ways to do this with a plug in

Simpler Style:
1. Load the sample. Set the LOOP to a really short duration (Like 2 or 3 wavelengths)
2. MIDI assign the sample start to a knob.
3. While playing the sample with MIDI, turn the sample start knob...

How does that work?
Another way, similar to this one is:

Make a Simpler with the sample.
Set it to polyphony: 1
make a midi clip, with C3's on every step
Midi assign the sample start to a knob
turn the knob while playing the clip

the only real difference is that you don't set it to loop, so it plays 'comprehensable' (ehum) parts of the sample.

you can also semi-reverse a sample this way ...