Best process to layer sounds with?

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
peter_heard01

Best process to layer sounds with?

Post by peter_heard01 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:13 pm

Hi, it seems that alot of dance music is made using layered synth and sample combinations. I was wondering when you layer sounds what process can you go through to get the sounds sounding like they are from the same instrument?

For example:

Eq, add reverb, compress etc...

Just wondered what processes people go through..

Cheers
Pete
Pte

My House music of varying types...
http://soundcloud.com/pte

danabus

Re: Best process to layer sounds with?

Post by danabus » Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:37 pm

I think you got it already - use eq to split out the spectrum, reverb / compression / saturation / distortion in varying amounts to make things "gel." If you are having alot of trouble, try different sounds. If the sounds you are trying to combine don't sit well together don't force it. Try tweaking just a parameter or two and layering that with the original.

sleepymoose

Post by sleepymoose » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:25 pm

Any guides on what should sit where in terms of frequencies ?

(Hope I'm not hijacking the topic, I tought this was related :P)

djTyG

Post by djTyG » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:19 am

What I like to do if I feel its missing something is use the Spectrum utility on the master track and play the song, see what the frequency range is. You can also solo tracks to see the spectrum for just that track. Then maybe use a frequency charts that shows you the fundamental (and harmonic) frequencies for various instruments.

EQ the different instruments separately to bring out the frequencies you want and also reduce unwanted noise. On the master track reverb will do a lot too to mix the sounds. I personally like to use the DJ master channel on the master track.. its located in the performance/dj folder of the audio effect rack (in audio effects).

Superchibisan

Post by Superchibisan » Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:55 am

over complication of the issue.

take a sound. figure out what you like about and then figure out what you think is missing from it.

make what is missing.(ppsssssst.... right click the instrument and click 'group', then add the new sound in a new chain on the same channel to save channel spaces)

play them at the same time.

Viola.

repeat as many times as needed. frequency content is completely dependent one what part of the sound you are making. try to do everything by ear, what sounds good to you. don't worry about specific frequencies, they will find themselves.