Why Americans don't like European football

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
dum

Re: Why Americans don't like European football

Post by dum » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:54 pm

outershpongolia wrote: I mean, some people like tennis.. :lol:
ya. crazy isn't it ?
I mean, why would you want to watch two extremely fit athletes wallop a ball as hard as they can at each other with great control and at lightning speeds in the hope their opponent can't return the ball?

it's laughable.

Everyone knows real sports are played by fat-asses who need a 2 minute breather every 30 seconds.
Pasha wrote:Thanks dum for being so precise.

outershpongolia

Post by outershpongolia » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:46 pm

dum wrote:
outershpongolia wrote: I mean, some people like tennis.. :lol:
ya. crazy isn't it ?
I mean, why would you want to watch two extremely fit athletes wallop a ball as hard as they can at each other with great control and at lightning speeds in the hope their opponent can't return the ball?

it's laughable.

Everyone knows real sports are played by fat-asses who need a 2 minute breather every 30 seconds.
WOW. I should've mentioned that that's my opinion, and others will have theirs.

you really are dum, aren't you?
outershpongolia wrote:either way I like american football the best but that's what I grew up playing, which is pretty much what it comes down to.
You may have grown up hittin' the courts, I didn't, which is why I like football instead.. I don't care if you think they are fat asses, tennis players are little pussies if you wanna start throwin' around immature insults at professional athletes..

ill-legal?

Post by ill-legal? » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:26 am

Holy random tangent fest…entertaining though. And c’mon, let’s be real for a minute. Soccer has to be one of the most boring sports to watch. Very limited physical contact, players are prohibited from using their hands, and half the time players are actually rewarded for faking injuries and rolling around on the field like a bunch of little sissy crybabies. Talk about a lack of sportsmanship, I can hardly classify this crap as a sport, it’s more like watching a freshman drama class. Not to mention, how can you NOT score on goal of that size? I played soccer when I was younger and I absolutely hated it. Boring to watch, boring to play. You know why it’s popular all over the world? Because it’s one of the few sports that sh*thole third world countries can actually afford, all you need is a ball and a couple rocks to mark off a goal.

I’m also going to add that (American) football is also extremely boring to watch. Baseball as well. Short bursts of action followed by boring, tedious waiting.

Personally, (and I’m sure I’ll be in the minority here) my opinion is that ice hockey is the best sport that’s been mentioned in this thread. It’s fast paced, there’s a lot of action, there’s some serious high speed impacts, physical contact is encouraged and doesn’t result in a bunch of pussies flopping around on the ground trying to draw a penalty, and when things get heated, motherf*ckers will drop the gloves and throw down, straight up. There’s hand-eye and foot-eye coordination required, you have to be able to skate (which in itself isn’t an easy skill to master), shots can exceed 100mph and the projectile being fired isn’t a big air-filled ball, but a rock solid piece of vulcanized rubber that has some serious potential to f*ck you up.

I’m also a big fan of lacrosse, which is so unpopular it hasn’t even been mentioned in this thread yet, lol.

Regardless, one thing I can agree on is that an athlete playing any one of these sports (even one as pathetic and boring as soccer) is still going to be in some pretty top-notc h physical condition…well, except for maybe baseball. You can be a pretty tubby bastard and still get away with it in baseball.

RonaldDumsfeld

Post by RonaldDumsfeld » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:41 am

Because it’s one of the few sports that sh*thole third world countries can actually afford, all you need is a ball and a couple rocks to mark off a goal.
Ouch.

ill-legal?

Post by ill-legal? » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:55 am

the truth hurts...

RonaldDumsfeld

Post by RonaldDumsfeld » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:04 am

no u

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:13 am

Lacrosse is not any more exciting than soccer. Hockey has little skill involved, the players dump the ball in the corner and race to it like a bunch of 6 years playing soccer. Boxing is a sport with skill and discipline, but hockey fights are just stupid. If people want to see fighting, they should watch boxing or UFC, not throw it occasionally into another sport. Hockey at the Olympics has no fighting and is better to watch than NHL.

As stated before, all popular sports on US TV networks (hockey, basketball, baseball) are only popular because they have so many stoppages to show commercials, baseball even has the 7th inning stretch, which is mostly when everyone goes rushing to the hot dogs and beer, thus lining the pockets of the clubs while killing the flow of the game. A game of American Football often lasts 2.5 - 3 hours in which there is only 60 minutes of actual play - advertisers dream ...

Also sports in the US are often played to half full or less stadiums with no atmosphere and because of the size of the country, very rarely do travelling fans go to away matches. In Europe and South Africa, etc, traditionally your team was your tribe and at the higher levels, you got excellent atmospheres (sometimes scarily so) at soccer matches in full or near full stadiums. Most baseball games (over 140 or whatever per season) are played in front of 1/4 to 1/3rd full stadiums.

Why did the MLS choose Toronto as the venue for the MLS cup this year - because the stadium is full and the fans are passionate mostly of European descent, who make noise and love the game. Most US stadiums are not like this, mostly having to share some amateur/college football field as a stadium.
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

Sage

Post by Sage » Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:22 pm

All the fighting in Hockey just makes them all look like drunk amateurs rather than professional sportsmen and it's not like it doesn't happen in football or other sports.

Football is physical, just much more subtle than a game like Hockey.

dum

Post by dum » Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:26 pm

^^^ :lol: :lol: :lol:
A classic sporting moment caught on camera
Pasha wrote:Thanks dum for being so precise.

Salty P

Post by Salty P » Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:36 pm

ill-legal? wrote:players are prohibited from using their hands
Yeah, that's why it's called football. Retard! :roll:

kb420

Post by kb420 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:41 pm

I can't believe there's an 11 page thread about Soccer on this forum. :mrgreen:
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger..........."
-Friedrich Nietzsche-

Sage

Post by Sage » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:44 pm

No proper football talk though. What the fuck is Rooney doing starting tonight? Isn't he supposed to be injured?

ill-legal?

Post by ill-legal? » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:34 pm

leedsquietman wrote:Lacrosse is not any more exciting than soccer.
How do you come to that conclusion? It requires more skill to pass and shoot with a lacrosse stick than it does to kick a soccer ball in a vague direction, physical contact is an integral part of the game, unlike soccer where you just prance around on the field and kick a ball once in a while and if two players do happen to run into each other they both flail around on the ground faking an injury for ten minutes like the pussies that they are.
leedsquietman wrote:Hockey has little skill involved, the players dump the ball in the corner and race to it like a bunch of 6 years playing soccer.
This right here is hilarious that you'd actually think this is a valid argument. Any retard can run around on a field and kick a ball. I guarantee that despite playing only one season of this pussy sport when I was all of 6 years old, I could go out on a field and at the very least hold my own with anyone who played soccer at a copmetitive level in high school or possibly even college. I would happily bet you $1000 that you couldn't suit up in full hockey gear and stand a CHANCE at keeping up with me (and I'm an out of shape 30 year old man who hasn't played in years due to a serious knee injury). Or a twelve year old who plays on a travelling team, for that matter. The skill required to skate in itself takes a sufficient amount of practice to master, and then add stickhandling, shooting, and hitting and it should be clear to anyone that there is infinitely more skill involved to play hockey.

As for the fights in hockey, they aren't a focal point of the sport for real fans, and they're nowhere near the quality of an MMA contest (obviously) but when they DO happen at least they're allowed to exchange blows and duke it out like MEN. Soccer players prefer to kick each other in the shins, pull pathetic cheap shots, and grab each other's dicks like the fruity little bitches that they are.

If I want to watch a serious fight, UFC/MMA or *some* boxing matches are preferable, agreed on that count.

We are, however, in agreement that the commercial culture and excessive advertising just dilutes the game (any game).

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:16 pm

ill-legal? wrote:I guarantee that despite playing only one season of this pussy sport when I was all of 6 years old, I could go out on a field and at the very least hold my own with anyone who played soccer at a copmetitive level in high school or possibly even college.
careful there cowboy... while I agree that the skating alone does separate hockey from any of the other sports mentioned skill wise... and soccer (football) players do act like little girls with the whole "look at me, I felt it all the way through my shin guard" drama... statements like the one above discredit your whole argument. Thats just plain shortsighted. Unless of course I misunderstood.... me not knowing the definition of 'copmetitive' and all.

I'm not saying that you're not a gifted individual, but seriously... YEAH FUCKING RIGHT.
LoopStationZebra wrote:it's like a hipster commie pinko manifesto. Rambling. Angry. Nearly divorced from all reality; yet strangely compelling with a ring of truth.

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:30 pm

You haven't played soccer on a Sunday morning in the council estates/housing projects if you think it's all pussies who cry about getting a whack on the shin. Especially away fixtures, Look at someone the wrong way, over celebrate a goal and especially try diving or conning the ref and you will get a big smack in the mouth from some neanderthals and the ref won't send him/them off unless he has a death wish. People with pitbull terriers on chains mouthing off at you and spectators, often women with strollers tripping you up on purpose as you run down the wing. I've seen riots kick off and people banned from playing the game for life. Good old British Sunday Pub leagues :) I don't like cheats or players who are more concerned with not messing up their hair in the real game either, but to play at the top level takes immense skill.

Sorry, I don't like lacrosse but respect it. I respect the skating skill of some hockey players too, but otherwise, it's just dump and run and push people into the boards. I grew up playing rugby league as a kid in Yorkshire as well as soccer and still enjoy that sport.

UFC is still banned in Ontario (no events held here), hopefully they will lift this ridiculous ban soon.
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.