apc40 or monome

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
gascari

apc40 or monome

Post by gascari » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:50 pm

i have saved up the money for a monome but have noticed the apc40. what are the pros and cons of each. apc40 looks confusing as i already know how to work the monome.

dum

Re: apc40 or monome

Post by dum » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:57 pm

gascari wrote:i have saved up the money for a monome but have noticed the apc40. what are the pros and cons of each. apc40 looks confusing as i already know how to work the monome.
buy a monome if what you want to do is use monome applications.

buy an apc40/launchpad if what you want to do is control ableton live.
Pasha wrote:Thanks dum for being so precise.

twisted-space

Post by twisted-space » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:42 pm

The monome can control live as well, have a look at livecontrol, pages, 7up etc.
There are also monome emulations for both the APC40 and the Launchpad, so both can run monome apps.
There is also the Livid Ohm64 & Block to consider. Or you could do what I did and build your own (arduinome).

Choose whichever you prefer or can afford, they are all useful in a multitude of ways.

dum

Post by dum » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:47 pm

The monome emulations suck compared to the real deal, and using a monome to control live sucks compared to using the dedicated apc40/launchpad controllers.

Assuming the guy wants to run monome apps and do a little ableton controlling, I'd buy/build the monome and save a bit more for a novation launchpad to compliment it.

squelcht

Post by squelcht » Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:52 pm

dum wrote: Assuming the guy wants to run monome apps and do a little ableton controlling, I'd buy/build the monome and save a bit more for a novation launchpad to compliment it.
Good point

twisted-space

Post by twisted-space » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:09 pm

dum wrote:using a monome to control live sucks compared to using the dedicated apc40/launchpad controllers.
Works fine here thanks. I suppose it depends on what you want to do with it.

dum

Post by dum » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:11 pm

twisted-space wrote:
dum wrote:using a monome to control live sucks compared to using the dedicated apc40/launchpad controllers.
Works fine here thanks. I suppose it depends on what you want to do with it.
You suppose right.

elementv

Post by elementv » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:56 pm

I use the ohm64 with live and use livid's remote script http://wiki.lividinstruments.com/wiki/A ... Emulation) and love it. the only thing I am missing is the red box and I know there is a way to do it I am just not advanced enough.

agent314

Post by agent314 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:17 pm

It seems to me that the difference comes down to out-of-the-box functionality vs. the flexibility and granularity of customizability you want.

An APC/Launchpad is going to work as soon as you plug it in (or after you install drivers), and be already mapped to the respective functions in Live (clip launching, parameter tweaking, etc.), which largely eliminates the need to set it up and tweak it to get it working. The flipside is that you don't have as much flexibility right away, but that's a trade off that some people are willing to make (myself included).

A monome is basically a blank slate of functionality with a ton of community-based projects that let you do lots of different things with it, but you have to set it up and map it and tweak it and get the functionality up to speed before you can do anything with it - which may be a lot more work than you want to do to get the functionality you're looking for. You have a lot more flexibility and variety (step sequencers, etc.) that you can't necessarily get with an APC/Launchpad (though there's more and more support for it as time goes on).

Basically it's a matter of how much tweaking you want to do to get the functionality you're looking for. If you mostly will want to be doing the stuff that an APC/Launchpad is pre-mapped for, then go with one of those. If you want to have more control over what your controller does, and are willing to do the legwork that it requires, then a monome will be the better choice for you.

twisted-space

Post by twisted-space » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:20 pm

dum wrote:You suppose right.

I know, but it's kind of you to say so.

humnumb

Post by humnumb » Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:33 am

Neither.
Launchpad or iPad.

kristoffer1989

Post by kristoffer1989 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:31 am

dum wrote:The monome emulations suck compared to the real deal,
so what is really the difference other than having to use a translatorprog? Using f.ex. a livid block or ohm 64. How different is that from a monome?
Kristoffer Lislegaard
Myspace - Soundcloud - Vimeo

twisted-space

Post by twisted-space » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:21 am

elementv wrote:the only thing I am missing is the red box and I know there is a way to do it I am just not advanced enough.
Check out livecontrol on the monome forums, ST8 has managed to switch the box on in his python script.

twisted-space

Post by twisted-space » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:33 am

kristoffer1989 wrote:
so what is really the difference other than having to use a translatorprog? Using f.ex. a livid block or ohm 64. How different is that from a monome?
I haven't tried any of the other grid controllers, only the arduinome, however from the videos below it seems that the livid controllers at least, can emulate a monome very well. You need MAX, M4L, PD or some other OSC bridge running, but that is true for a monome also (monomeserial).

http://www.max4live.info/content/tutori ... s-part-one

http://www.max4live.info/content/tutori ... -emulators

dum

Post by dum » Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:17 pm

kristoffer1989 wrote:
try following the thread man.

'apc40 or monome' ... only time emulations were mentioned prior to the statement you quoted was in reference to the apc40, and the launchpad.