Why Americans don't like European football

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
dum

Re: Why Americans don't like European football

Post by dum » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:45 pm

Pasha wrote:Thanks dum for being so precise.

nathannn

Post by nathannn » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:48 pm

leedsquietman wrote: UFC is still banned in Ontario (no events held here), hopefully they will lift this ridiculous ban soon.

i wish they would ban ufc here in the states.
i see that sport as being no better than waving food in front of two starving people and watching them fight over it.
the only difference is the two guys are not starving they are just imbeciles and instead of food they get cash.
boxing really inst much better either. with boxing you have two guys (moat of them come from poverty) beating each in the face for the hope of a better life.
The Push / Novation Launch Pad / Novation Launch Pad Pro / Novation Launch Key
/ Launch Control XL / Machine MkII / Machine Studio / BeatStep / Livid OhmRGB / Livid Code V2 / Apc 40 MKII

no computers or synths

20 Copies of Ableton Live Lite.

dum

Post by dum » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:53 pm

nathannn wrote:with boxing you have two guys (moat of them come from poverty) beating each in the face for the hope of a better life.
which is fine by me.
better that they're in the ring battering each other for my personal entertainment instead of out on the streets, robbing old ladies and pimping society's wayward daughters - paying them little more than crack cocaine and severe lead-pipe beat downs.
Pasha wrote:Thanks dum for being so precise.

ill-legal?

Post by ill-legal? » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:55 am

H20nly wrote:
ill-legal? wrote:I guarantee that despite playing only one season of this pussy sport when I was all of 6 years old, I could go out on a field and at the very least hold my own with anyone who played soccer at a copmetitive level in high school or possibly even college.
careful there cowboy... while I agree that the skating alone does separate hockey from any of the other sports mentioned skill wise... and soccer (football) players do act like little girls with the whole "look at me, I felt it all the way through my shin guard" drama... statements like the one above discredit your whole argument. Thats just plain shortsighted. Unless of course I misunderstood.... me not knowing the definition of 'copmetitive' and all.

I'm not saying that you're not a gifted individual, but seriously... YEAH FUCKING RIGHT.
Thanks for catching that typo, usually I'm the spelling/grammar nazi on the message board. I see I may have some competition. ;)

My point, which you called me on as being somewhat overstated (and I agree), was that if you have any basic level of physical fitness, you can get out on a soccer field and figure out a few basics and be able to hang with people who have significantly more experience. Whereas if you suit up some fool who has never skated and suit him up in hockey equipment and throw him out on the rink for a pick up game, he'd still get schooled by even 10 year old pee-wee level players and it would be an absolute embarrassment.

I'm still confident that I could keep up on a soccer field. I'm not saying I'd excell against professionals, but I could at least hold my own in an adult league despite only playing one season when I was six years old.

ill-legal?

Post by ill-legal? » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:03 am

leedsquietman wrote:You haven't played soccer on a Sunday morning in the council estates/housing projects if you think it's all pussies who cry about getting a whack on the shin. Especially away fixtures, Look at someone the wrong way, over celebrate a goal and especially try diving or conning the ref and you will get a big smack in the mouth from some neanderthals and the ref won't send him/them off unless he has a death wish. People with pitbull terriers on chains mouthing off at you and spectators, often women with strollers tripping you up on purpose as you run down the wing. I've seen riots kick off and people banned from playing the game for life. Good old British Sunday Pub leagues :) I don't like cheats or players who are more concerned with not messing up their hair in the real game either, but to play at the top level takes immense skill.

Sorry, I don't like lacrosse but respect it. I respect the skating skill of some hockey players too, but otherwise, it's just dump and run and push people into the boards. I grew up playing rugby league as a kid in Yorkshire as well as soccer and still enjoy that sport.
Valid points, we can agree to disagree. And no, I've never played soccer at the council estates/housing projects. I'm sure that's probably a lot more grimey than the pretty-boy Beckham sissy types on TV.

Just like you don't like lacrosse, I don't like soccer, but I will concede that just like most other professional athletes, they are in top physical shape to do what they do...I just don't find it particularly entertaining to watch.

Sage

Post by Sage » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:20 am

ill-legal? wrote:My point, which you called me on as being somewhat overstated (and I agree), was that if you have any basic level of physical fitness, you can get out on a soccer field and figure out a few basics and be able to hang with people who have significantly more experience. Whereas if you suit up some fool who has never skated and suit him up in hockey equipment and throw him out on the rink for a pick up game, he'd still get schooled by even 10 year old pee-wee level players and it would be an absolute embarrassment.

I'm still confident that I could keep up on a soccer field. I'm not saying I'd excell against professionals, but I could at least hold my own in an adult league despite only playing one season when I was six years old.
It's easy enough to pick up the game and that's probably why it's so popular and no stupid clothing required. Just a ball and some jumpers.

On the same note, if you have no experience, I'd love to see you take a bunch of 10 year olds at Heads & Vs :lol:

dazzer

Post by dazzer » Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:28 pm

ill-legal? wrote: I'm not saying I'd excell against professionals, but I could at least hold my own in an adult league despite only playing one season when I was six years old.
lol

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:59 pm

dum wrote:
nathannn wrote:with boxing you have two guys (moat of them come from poverty) beating each in the face for the hope of a better life.
which is fine by me.
better that they're in the ring battering each other for my personal entertainment instead of out on the streets, robbing old ladies and pimping society's wayward daughters - paying them little more than crack cocaine and severe lead-pipe beat downs.
All sounds pretty entertaining to me.
Unsound Designer

ThrowAway

Post by ThrowAway » Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:43 pm

I love soccer. I use to watch arsenal play pretty steady until work and life got in the way. But trying to argue if football players or soccer players are tougher is absolutely ridiculous.... Just about every soccer game I have ever seen had someone acting like a total pussy in it trying to draw a foul mulitple times. Im not saying I havent seen soccer players deleiver some visicous blows or guys take some nasty hit get up and then repay the favor later in the game its just those types of things happen with less frequency than american football. It does have to say something though that I find the nfl absoulutely boring but I watch 3-5 sec football games a week during the season.

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Sat Apr 10, 2010 4:24 pm

You can't compare a game with whole body tackles such as US Football to a game like soccer.

However, if you play the game as an amateurand even professionally, there are things such as broken noses, broken teeth and broken legs happening every weekend - you can't tell me people like David Busst of Coventry are pussies when their leg is broken in multiple places and the fibia is exposed outside of the skin, an injury which required 7 operations and ended his career. In American Football the padding and helmets prevent a lot of these types of injuries. However, it's obviously still a hard physical game, although arguably less so than Rugby, or Australian Rules Football where much less padding is worn.

FIFA have softened up soccer a lot compared to the days of the early 70s when Norman 'Bites Yer Legs' Hunter of my club Leeds, and Ron 'Chopper' Harris of Chelsea and Tommy Smith of Liverpool were around 'hatchet men' who would 'soften up' the opposition with some malicious tackles etc. Back then you needed to punch someone in the face to be sent off and yellow cards did not exist. Probably for the better.

The biggest thing that spoils US Football is the constant interruptions of time-outs, flags and commercials. If the game could just FLOW and teams were only allowed say 1 time out each per period and 2 halves of 30 minutes instead of 4 15 minute quarters, it would be much better to watch. 60 minutes of play typically takes 2.5 to 3 hours to complete. The game is a TV networks dream, so much time for commercials.
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

Sage

Post by Sage » Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:42 pm

FIFA have added all sorts of new rules to make tackles less vicious and decrease risk of injury.

Whilst football isn't as physical, it's so easy to seriously damage your legs compared to any damage done by full body tackles. I actually did do some serious damage to my right leg playing football, never anything in Rugby, despite being tackled quite often by guys literally twice my size, being hit in the chest doesn't do much damage at all.

I don't know why I'm defending football, I'm not really into it at all.

kb420

Post by kb420 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:53 pm

I use to watch NFL Europe. That was great. European football was great.

I just don't like futbol, or as we Americans call it, soccer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger..........."
-Friedrich Nietzsche-

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:20 pm

My brother, who is a great player and as a junior represented pro teams, and until last year was still playing at a high semi-pro level, has had 4 concussions playing soccer, his dentist refused to fix his teeth because he broke them so often (he mostly played centre-half and/or centre-forward so was continually challenging for headers).

Tommy Smith, the ex-Liverpool player walks around with huge scars in his legs and needs a walker, his knees were injured so bad - He has had 2 knee replacements - many old pros are similar. My brother did his ACL twice and this is why he never went fully pro because the first one was done when he was only 18 and he wouldn't have been able to train professionally and play at the highest level. I played soccer for years at county amateur level (and still coach youth teams) and also did my knees in to the point of needing a knee replacement. I figured I'd have more chance at rugby as a teen, so dropped out of soccer. In the end, I got tired of the grind and went off to University, where I played in a truly bad University 3rd Team (soccer) who came last in the league 2 yrs running (2nd year I got promoted to the 2nd team who were better and came 4th)

Ironically, playing rugby, I dislocated my shoulder and missed 2 matches and had one tooth knocked out but apart from that, had no major injuries.
Last edited by leedsquietman on Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

mikemc

Post by mikemc » Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:34 pm

i like watching soccer when my kids are playing it, although my daughter's team dominates and my son's team usually loses (he's the goalie so I console myself with his save percentage). It is much more interesting to watch when you can see the whole field.
UTENZIL a tool... of the muse.