Beat Identify in ableton?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
jmellis777

Beat Identify in ableton?

Post by jmellis777 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:03 pm

I'm a guitar player and would like to utilize AL in a live setting as follows and need to know if it's possible. I would record a guitar progression with an unknown bmp into Live. Identify the bmp of the recorded track and then set the Live tempo accordingly allowing me to add beats. I'm a ProTools user and this is possible in PT using the identify beat feature, is there a similar feature in Ableton?

For those wondering how I would create a usable loop before knowing the bmp this is how I'm thinking the setup would go: I have a Boss RC-20XL on my pedal board. I would record the loop to that, then while that's looping record it into Live. Then take the loop in live and identify the bmp to start creating beats etc. I've already tried tapping the tempo in live along to the loop and it's not always accurate enough.

Thanks,Micah

agent314

Re: Beat Identify in ableton?

Post by agent314 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:31 pm

I know it's not really what you're after, but have you looked into using the looper function in Live?

Depending on what you're doing/what your setup is like, you could use a MIDI controller/footpedal to control the looping and tap a tempo, then record into the looper and use that in real time in Live.

It would take a little handiwork though, and probably wouldn't be as tidy/streamlined as you're likely used to. But it's pretty full-featured for what it is, and I'm looking into doing something similar (albeit with GR4, which would simplify things as I wouldn't have to worry about getting from an external amp into Live)

clarknova

Post by clarknova » Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:01 pm

Looper should do it!

jmellis777

Post by jmellis777 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:42 am

Thanks for the replies. I have a FBC1010 so I will try it out with the looper setup and see if it works.

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:15 am

No need to use Looper.

Any audio clip can be the Master tempo controller by placing it in the Arrange View and pressing the Master button.

-Record or import a "free time" clip into Arrange View
-Warp it or Autowarp it
-Switch the "Slave" button to "Master" in clip view

The clip now plays UN-warped, and Live's tempo follows the "free time" recording.
MBP M1Max | MacOS 12.7.2 | Live 11.3.20 | Babyface Pro FS | Push 3 (tethered) | a whole other bunch of controllers
Ableton Certified Trainer
Soundcloud

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:34 am

8O nice post Paddy, I did not know that.

fwiw the button's labeled Slave until you click it, then it says Master.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

tlennon

Post by tlennon » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:01 am

One of those obscure functions that's hardly ever used or needed. Nice. This is exactly why I read these threads. You never know what you come away with. Thanks Pitch!
Terrence Lennon

clarknova

Post by clarknova » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:51 am

If you're doing it live, though, I would lose the RC and use a simple footswitch with looper in live 8.

You can do everything with looper that you can with the rc-20 and more, and there is no need to sample it and then make it the master clip. Just seems to me like a lot of unnecessary steps...