8.1.3???

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
squelcht

Re: 8.1.3???

Post by squelcht » Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:51 pm

3phase wrote:

Why is L8 getting allways funny in stage situations? s there a special algorythm tha uses the drop sensor of the laptop to see if its on a vibrating stage?
I think its mental - A mind over matter situation. Somewhere in your brain you are sceptical & paranoid & thus creates a bad energy/brain wave/neuro chaotic frequency that your computer picks up on & makes it behave fuct up. Maybe it's even being detected & transmitted via the wireless antenna/bluetooth inside the laptop. Hmmm... Just a simple theory - And I base it on nothing more but the natual principle of chaos theory. And the I-Ching. Desgard all conscious will & desire & the subconscious shall take lead.

Just a idea.
8)

housemusiclover

Post by housemusiclover » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:06 am

tried it (only used the Force, left the notebook at home) - party sucked...

smaucher

Post by smaucher » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:38 am

Gravis wrote:I'm still getting audible clicks from time to time although at least it hasn't crashed on me yet.

I'm wondering why though, when all i'm doing is playing one track, why on earth the CPU is at 50-60%? what on earth is it doing?

My earlier tests using Max4Live gave more clicks and pops so i dropped all those scripts for now.

Come on Ableton, get it together so i can go mix live please :(
glad to hear that I'm not alone - CPU is ridiculously high (50-60%) in a set which was always on ~30-35 - that's almost double. As soon as I open a plugin-GUI I get lots of drops and glitches. :-(
you start bleeding - I start sceaming
propaganda 1985

smaucher

Post by smaucher » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:44 am

Tarekith wrote:I used it last night for my live gig, worked great, whew. One of the other guys going after me (Noah Pred, the only Ableton Certified trainer in Canada) had a couple issues getting his to launch though. He says he's been having that problem for awhile now though.

is this you?
you start bleeding - I start sceaming
propaganda 1985

davepermen

Post by davepermen » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:29 am

Gravis wrote:I'm still getting audible clicks from time to time although at least it hasn't crashed on me yet.

I'm wondering why though, when all i'm doing is playing one track, why on earth the CPU is at 50-60%? what on earth is it doing?

My earlier tests using Max4Live gave more clicks and pops so i dropped all those scripts for now.

Come on Ableton, get it together so i can go mix live please :(
sounds like to low latency on the soundcard + the beta doing lots of loggings and such. maybe increase the usb and audio latency one or two milliseconds?

it's at leas tthe behaviour i get when the latency is too low on one part.
http://davepermen.net my tiny webpage, including link to bandcamp.

tw1nstates

Post by tw1nstates » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:56 am

You are using the beta for live gigs?

I thought most people were rocking 7 still. . .

Is there anything that live 8 has that you can't live without? I mean there's groves but that can be bounced as audio. . .
I slipped into a daze, whilst I was there I heard the most startling music, it was at once familiar and alien, reassuring and unsettling.
https://soundcloud.com/fearoftherave

outershpongolia

Post by outershpongolia » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:47 pm

tw1nstates wrote:You are using the beta for live gigs?

I thought most people were rocking 7 still. . .

Is there anything that live 8 has that you can't live without? I mean there's groves but that can be bounced as audio. . .
Grouped tracks

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:50 pm

live 8.1.3b1 did not pointed me to 8.1.3b2 when asked at the startup if i want to check for new betas?

however, i downloaded 8.1.3b2 manually, installed it and under OSX 10.6.3 after a very quick run through all issues i had seems fixed... but as i said after a super quick rundown, further investigation will show... (that is the usual behaviour / problem i have, after the install it is OK for a little while and with time gradually it gets worse and at total random things don't work and then work again without any change of the system / setup / plugs or anything else???) the point i so don't understand!!!) but 8.1.3b2 has now GUI lags... the GUI stutters in ca. 1 - 3 second steps, like it would only update every 1-3 seconds, that counts for about absolute everything... meters, knobs or any other GUI movement, very annoying, even most issues or maybe all (fingers crossed) seem to be solved so far the GUI makes 8 again unusable.

i also had a session (well i tried) with a friend lately (he is also on a mac and live8 and we did not sync'ed, we did everything independent by ear and only moved audio files via a USB stick)) and we both had issues at random, plenty of things did not worked for several minutes, then again it worked, then another function not and so on the whole evening, until i had suddenly a card drop (ableton just kicked my audio card out) never had that before... ??? he had in between GUI freezes (and audio would run normally)... and also all sorts of random behaviour...

really no explanation.

how can fix someone that or report, if it happens randomly out of nowhere and then works again... also the recovery does not work at all and at random no crash log is generated ???
\
and for all the other forum members, please spare all your comments about removing plugs one by one or restarting or whatever other suggestion in order to solve it, i know exactly what i am doing (so does the partner i had the session with, he is 3x times label owner and has dozens of albums out, he is not some noob, does not work at all with 3rd party plugs and has like me a dedicated music maschine, that is highly looked after) and have been through the whole lot more then several times.

i am still frustrated, very frustrated.
*** Image GAFM ***

Dennis DeSantis

Post by Dennis DeSantis » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:57 pm

We've been able to reproduce the problem with pops when recording within the Arranger loop, so we're working on this.

Best,

mikemc

Post by mikemc » Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:00 pm

taximouse wrote:thanks for the help sleuthing this Dennis.

I would love to know what causes the pops on record and if its anything I can control. It seems to happen in every set just since I upgraded to 8.1.1. I'm stumped.
don't know if you saw my earlier post, but I think I see the same thing and believe the following explains it, sorry it is a bit much to read -- the 'loopbe30' thing i refer to is functionally equivalent to IAC in this case:
Here is what i did

1- Put a clip into session view sending midi note out thru a midi yoke (loopbe30) and set up midi map so this activates the global transport record button. Loopbe30 was set up in preferences as sending midi out thru track and back in as remote.
2- Global loop was active, but punch in/out were not active.
3- Armed the audio input track, and kept it armed.
4- I set the arrangement loop to start after 4 beats, and loop for another 4 beats.

The session "triggering" clip was 4 beats, with the triggering note on the first beat. So when I started the clip, this armed the global record, allowing recording audio, and then when it looped back around to "1" when the arrangment was coming into the global looped region (starting on beat 5) for the first time it disarmed the global record, and then re-armed it repeatedly every other time as the arrangement loop came back around.

Here is what I saw doing simply the above:

Triggering the scene started the transport, and the midi note armed the global record button. But this did not happen instantly, precisely on "1". Because the global transport is running, the triggering MIDI clip is recorded into the arrangement as well as the audio, and because recording did not happen precisely on "1", that arrangment- recorded triggering clip's start marker is behind the triggering note. So what actually happens when the loop in session comes back around, is a multiple triggering, one coming from the reflected clip in arrange, which results in a little tiny wee audio clip followed by the longer 'intended' clip.

(with punch in/out active, you can't see this happening as plainly, because the triggering clip is not reflected in arrangement.)

you might want to try this with punch in/out deactivated, to see if you see the same thing.
btw, i submitted this as a bug report along with the .alp it created.
UTENZIL a tool... of the muse.

8O

Post by 8O » Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:07 pm

SubFunk wrote:live 8.1.3b1 did not pointed me to 8.1.3b2 when asked at the startup if i want to check for new betas?
Same here -> http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?p=1113482

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:07 pm

smaucher wrote:is this you?
Yes, from this past Saturday. I use a beta live, but thrashed it pretty well the day before to make sure it would be stable. Hopefully.

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:08 pm

random crackles when i playback sets created prior to 8.1.3b1.

and strange i get the GUI lags only with sets created in 8.1.3b1, older sets don't show GUI lags but audio crackles.

that is with some sets i just picked for checking... i will try a few more...

on the other hand the audio dropouts / crackles when moving / adding / deleting tracks or adding plugs / removing / deleting /etc when ableton is running which i had since 8.0 all the time are gone :D , it seems.
*** Image GAFM ***

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:19 pm

I'm getting very long waits.. when saving and 'collecting' in L813b2

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:52 pm

after another lovely day beta testing instead of creating, i have here and there audio hiccups and crackles also when midi instruments (not bounced to audio) appear the first time in the arrangement, meaning the timeline moves over a new part that contains a midi instrument it has either a short 'hiccup' or it crackles. i am not sure if that is due to the fact that because of the bug / event recorder the CPU is stressed way more as my CPU usage was never showing such high values with so little instruments / tracks (i get now around 60 / 70%, with sets that where usually around max 40% on my system, never managed that before)

testing goes on... but i am happy that the crackle / dropout while moving things in realtime are gone, totally, because i did not had any realtime since live 8.0 because of crackles / dropouts all the time...

but new issues that still seem hard to properly isolate appear... still trying.

in short no older set is working as it should be, either the GUI is mucking about, or audio crackles / dropouts, or midi / key mapping doesn't work, or else, i could not open a single of my existing sets and running it without having some sort of issue... one nearly empty set, a work in progress crashes always at the attempt of loading it. it is my template (works(ed) since month and month) plus a few audio files only (i sent the bug report and set zip file)

also the recovery seems still only to work at random.
*** Image GAFM ***