Another MIDI Mapping Question

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
MrBen

Another MIDI Mapping Question

Post by MrBen » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:10 am

Hi!

I am using Ableton Suite 8 & an MPD24.

The problem I have is as follows:

1. On a MIDI track add, say, 1 instance of Arpeggiator and 1 instance of Analog.
2. Map Arp "Rate" to Knob 1 on MPD24.
3. Map Analog "Frequency" to Knob 1 on MPD24.

What I want to happen is when either the Arp or Analog has the "focus" then twisting Knob 1 only
affects the parameter on the "focussed" device, NOT both of them.

What actually happens is when Knob 1 is twiddled, BOTH the Rate & Freq move together.

When I talk about the "focus" I mean actually clicking on the device title bar. A little blue hand
also appears when this occurs. This hand doesn't seem to have any effect on my problem since even if a device
has the hand the other device parametr moves anyway.

Is this at all possible?

Any help much appreciated.
Thanks.

hoffman2k

Re: Another MIDI Mapping Question

Post by hoffman2k » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:15 am

MrBen wrote:Hi!

1. On a MIDI track add, say, 1 instance of Arpeggiator and 1 instance of Analog.

What I want to happen is when either the Arp or Analog has the "focus" then twisting Knob 1 only

What actually happens is when Knob 1 is twiddled, BOTH the Rate & Freq move together.

When I talk about the "focus" I mean actually clicking on the device title bar. A little blue hand
also appears when this occurs. This hand doesn't seem to have any effect on my problem since even if a device

Is this at all possible?

Thanks.
You're confusing MIDI Learn with Automap. MIDI Learn is what you are currently doing and behaves as it should. Assign 2 things to 1 knob, control 2 things with one knob.

Automap is the feature linked to the blue hand and device selection. You need to set up your controller for Automap so that everything is preassigned.

MrBen

Re: Another MIDI Mapping Question

Post by MrBen » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:19 am

hoffman2k wrote:
MrBen wrote:Hi!

Is this at all possible?

Thanks.
You're confusing MIDI Learn with Automap. MIDI Learn is what you are currently doing and behaves as it should. Assign 2 things to 1 knob, control 2 things with one knob.

Automap is the feature linked to the blue hand and device selection. You need to set up your controller for Automap so that everything is preassigned.
Ah, OK. Thanks for quick reply! I'll look into it.