LiveControl: Automap for TouchOSC (ipod/ipad)

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
ST8

Re: Automap for TouchOSC (ipod/ipad)

Post by ST8 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:58 pm

Just updated the zip file, you now need to specify your local ip address in the config file. I think this may have been the cause of the issues on Live 8.1.1 although im not 100% sure. Check the new config file to see how its implemented

Ive also added listeners for track volumes on the mixer page, and started trying to fix up the step sequencer.

rekloos

Post by rekloos » Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:51 pm

so what happens when you run this while having an apc20/40 or other automap gear?
is it even possible?
rekloos presents: BASS KULTURE : all things dubwise ! Every Sunday @12PM / Fridays @6PM(EST):
http://radio614.org/

dub album out now on juno&beatport:
http://bit.ly/S26jun
http://bit.ly/SS26bp

running with scissors.

ST8

Post by ST8 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:57 pm

yes should all play nice together, hopefully ;)

john gordon

Post by john gordon » Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:57 pm

got it working..nice work!

Icaro Ferre

Post by Icaro Ferre » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:12 pm

It is working here however it has a reeeeally annoying lag. Is there any way that I can get rid of that lag? :(

delicioso

Post by delicioso » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:01 am

ST8, what do you think about adding a Commands page, like this key commands TouchOSC template for Logic but for Live? For things like tap tempo, metronome, back to arrange, add audio/midi track, add/remove stop button, freeze, flatten, slice to midi, consolidate, fade, split, follow, arrows, alt-arrows, delete, copy, cut, paste, duplicate, undo, redo...etc.

Last edited by delicioso on Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:27 am, edited 2 times in total.

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:25 am

So it is possible to do User1 and User2 etc sections like on the Launchpad?
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

Dr. Zoiberg

Post by Dr. Zoiberg » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:50 am

Icaro Ferre wrote:It is working here however it has a reeeeally annoying lag. Is there any way that I can get rid of that lag? :(
try creating a network from your computer

hobbycore

Post by hobbycore » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:52 am

what is LQ and HQ +/-?

mrideas

Post by mrideas » Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:06 am

Dear ST8,

Brilliant work, and VERY noble of you to post it all here for FREE!! And especially given that it's something I've no doubt will be something people will use extensively. Do you have a PAYPAL donation account??

Apple should be paying you to for this kind of development, as it's something that makes someone like me, who had no intention of getting an iPad, now seriously begin to consider the opposite.

Great work.

I've a question/leach idea, and without looking into your code yet myself, was wondering how easy/difficult you think it would be to make a page for library navigation? This is an area where for me, live is seriously lacking and "The bridge" is no solution.

I dedicated touch interface library navigation page on something IP, that display larger font clip ID's etc, would be awesome for the more 'complete track, arranged on the fly dj set' user of live is crying out for. No more mouse, EVER, no more multi app mappings and midi to keystroke crap etc etc....

JIMFUSO

Post by JIMFUSO » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:21 am

ST8 - I'm excited to get this going. However I'm missing a simple step. Where exactly do I place the "config file"?
I have it sitting in my User/My user/ folder just sitting at that level.

I'm running mac 10.5.8.
I switched the Ip address info in the file and switched Ipad=1

looks like:
[LiveControl]
local = 192.168.1.96. (mac IP?)
remote = 192.168.1.75 (Ipad IP?)
send = 5001
receive = 5000
ipad = 1

thanks for helping me out.

ST8

Post by ST8 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:03 am

LoopStationZebra wrote:So it is possible to do User1 and User2 etc sections like on the Launchpad?
Not at the moment, latency would probably be too high to do anything time related. Something i can look into though.
delicioso wrote:ST8, what do you think about adding a Commands page, like this key commands TouchOSC template for Logic but for Live? For things like tap tempo, metronome, back to arrange, add audio/midi track, add/remove stop button, freeze, flatten, slice to midi, consolidate, fade, split, follow, arrows, alt-arrows, delete, copy, cut, paste, duplicate, undo, redo...etc.
I can only implement things that are directly available in the api. Many of those are implemented as the bottom row on the clip launcher. From left to right device/clip view, launch quantisation (LQ), Overdub, Metronome, Tap Tempo. Then modified with shift. RQ = Record quantisation, tap tempo + metronome become tempo +/-. Undo and redo i can add. Adding the other features is not so straight forward
hobbycore wrote:what is LQ and HQ +/-?
Launch and record quantisation
mrideas wrote:Dear ST8,
I've a question/leach idea, and without looking into your code yet myself, was wondering how easy/difficult you think it would be to make a page for library navigation? This is an area where for me, live is seriously lacking and "The bridge" is no solution.

I dedicated touch interface library navigation page on something IP, that display larger font clip ID's etc, would be awesome for the more 'complete track, arranged on the fly dj set' user of live is crying out for. No more mouse, EVER, no more multi app mappings and midi to keystroke crap etc etc....
I'm not sure if python can emulate key strokes, something i'd have to look into :)
JIMFUSO wrote:ST8 - I'm excited to get this going. However I'm missing a simple step. Where exactly do I place the "config file"?
I have it sitting in my User/My user/ folder just sitting at that level.

I'm running mac 10.5.8.
I switched the Ip address info in the file and switched Ipad=1

looks like:
[LiveControl]
local = 192.168.1.96. (mac IP?)
remote = 192.168.1.75 (Ipad IP?)
send = 5001
receive = 5000
ipad = 1

thanks for helping me out.
The config looks fine and is in the correct location. Do you get the red ring when you select LiveControl?

Also ive updated the sequencer code a little hopefully it'll work a little better now, still a bit laggy though. Before being able to input data you need to select a midi clip. Press and hold Menu 2, then use up down left right to place the red box on a midi clip. Then you should be able to enter midi data.

fisto

Post by fisto » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:45 pm

thanks for this great stuff, just bought TouchOSC because of your LiveControl :)
Now trying to set it up.
The Template is already on the iphone, python installed, the portnumbers and IPs are set, but there is no red square when i select LiveControl in the MIDI-Devices-Area in Live.
I don't know exactly where to copy the config-file. Is it just the file or with a folder.
Also i've seen that the configfile is already in the LiveControl-Folder, shall i delete that and the doc-folder or edit to match the other config file.
You've mentioned in an earlier post"Secondly is python 2.5.1 installed? If windows is it installed in c:/python25/Lib?". Is something to do here?
I'm on windows xp.

Thanks again and any help is much appreciated!

hobbycore

Post by hobbycore » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:26 pm

Is there a scene launch button, and if not, can there be?

There seems to be no good way to adjust tempos to specific times quickly. I currently use a blank scene named to "140bpm" or similar to just launch and reset the tempo when using my apc40.

This is excellent work, thank you very much!

ST8

Post by ST8 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:43 pm

fisto wrote:thanks for this great stuff, just bought TouchOSC because of your LiveControl :)
Now trying to set it up.
The Template is already on the iphone, python installed, the portnumbers and IPs are set, but there is no red square when i select LiveControl in the MIDI-Devices-Area in Live.
I don't know exactly where to copy the config-file. Is it just the file or with a folder.
Also i've seen that the configfile is already in the LiveControl-Folder, shall i delete that and the doc-folder or edit to match the other config file.
You've mentioned in an earlier post"Secondly is python 2.5.1 installed? If windows is it installed in c:/python25/Lib?". Is something to do here?
I'm on windows xp.

Thanks again and any help is much appreciated!
If you're on windows you need to install python 2.5.1 first or it wont work at all. On windows the config file should be copied to C:\documents and settings\your user name
hobbycore wrote:Is there a scene launch button, and if not, can there be?

There seems to be no good way to adjust tempos to specific times quickly. I currently use a blank scene named to "140bpm" or similar to just launch and reset the tempo when using my apc40.

This is excellent work, thank you very much!
Theres no scene launch at the moment, i could add them to the clip launcher page though :)