Huge cpu load when using racks... workarounds?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
#1thelark

Huge cpu load when using racks... workarounds?

Post by #1thelark » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:58 pm

Hi there,

I'm trying to have some fun with the LP... I play one midinote and run that thru a series of racks with different chords, then a rack with different arpeggiators and then send them to a rack with different instruments.

Then I wanted to assign the chainselector of each rack to a different column of the LP... but it seems due to the programming of the LP (Notes do not rise from top to bottom per column, but are divided into groups of sixteen buttons) So I cannot use the "stretch-mode" when midimapping the corresponding chainselector by pushing the top and bottom buttons simultaneously in map mode.

Is there a workaround to achieve "streched" midimapping for single columns (8 buttons) of the LP?

BTW: With that small liveset with 3 miditracks and each 7 or 8 instruments/arps/chords I get almost 17% cpu even when nothing is playing... when I play a tone and run it thru the instruments it rises up to 46%. Is this normal? How do you lower the cpu-load when using racks? A solution would be only to turn all instruments on, when the chainselector "needs them", I guess??
Last edited by #1thelark on Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

myxomat0515

Re: LP midimapping questions

Post by myxomat0515 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:00 pm

Use rows, not columns, in User mode 2. Seems a bit counter-intuitive, I agree.

#1thelark

Post by #1thelark » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:20 pm

Mkay, that works... need to turn it by 90 degrees if I want to do turn the rows into columns...

Still I'd like to know if anyone has a workaround to use columns in session and user-mode 1? And how 'bout the cpu-load? Is it normal that a rack with a few instruments causes 17% cpu-load even if there is no sound being generated?

doghouse

Post by doghouse » Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:03 pm

#1thelark wrote:Is it normal that a rack with a few instruments causes 17% cpu-load even if there is no sound being generated?
Most VST instruments burn a little CPU when idle. Stuff a few into a rack and that adds up.

#1thelark

Re: Huge cpu load when using racks... workarounds?

Post by #1thelark » Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:43 pm

Seems to be a known issue, but not fixed yet!? I'm using Live-instruments only.
henke wrote:
prebentious wrote:Robert:
If I put 128 reverbs in a rack with no audio going through, it gives me 80% CPU usage.
From what you wrote about the X-port, it seems that it shouldn't.
Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks,
Ben

Hi Ben,
just checked. You are right. It seems the reverb is doing more when 'sleeping' then it should. I tried it also with 512 Simple Delays, and there it worked as expected. I'll filed the reverb behavior as bug.

Cheers, Robert

robnotrob

Re: Huge cpu load when using racks... workarounds?

Post by robnotrob » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:02 pm

I've found that viewing the rack so the rack instrument is displayed makes the problem go away temporarily. Noticed this is issue is fixed in B13 btw

See this thread too
http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php? ... 4&start=15