LiveControl: Automap for TouchOSC (ipod/ipad)

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
delicioso

Re: Automap for TouchOSC (ipod/ipad)

Post by delicioso » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:01 pm

ST8 wrote:
delicioso wrote:ST8, what do you think about adding a Commands page, like this key commands TouchOSC template for Logic but for Live? For things like tap tempo, metronome, back to arrange, add audio/midi track, add/remove stop button, freeze, flatten, slice to midi, consolidate, fade, split, follow, arrows, alt-arrows, delete, copy, cut, paste, duplicate, undo, redo...etc.
I can only implement things that are directly available in the api. Many of those are implemented as the bottom row on the clip launcher. From left to right device/clip view, launch quantisation (LQ), Overdub, Metronome, Tap Tempo. Then modified with shift. RQ = Record quantisation, tap tempo + metronome become tempo +/-. Undo and redo i can add. Adding the other features is not so straight forward
Cool. Just throwing it out there. I actually have all those implemented anyway via a usb numpad using ControllerMate and on my nanoKontrol using QuicKeys for translating keystrokes to MIDI. And having them accessible at all times like I do now might be better anyway.
ST8 wrote:Theres no scene launch at the moment, i could add them to the clip launcher page though :)
Yes, I think the clip launcher page definitely needs scene launch for it to be complete. Then we won't even need Launchpads/APCs.

Thanks ST8. You're a legend!

fisto

Post by fisto » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:20 pm

Thank you for the fast reply, python is allredy installed, but on drive d not c. D is my os-drive, maybe this plays a roll too. But with python installed i should get a red square, but there is still non. Interesting. Does a wrong located config-file make a difference in showing the square?
And do i need to erase the doc-folder in the livecontrol TO folder? I've read the instruction a few times and have done all steps. I have xp with some tweaks in the processlist, maybe i have deactivated an important process. Is there any special process which has to run in order to work?
Sorry for noobing around but It would be so cool to get that running.

Thanks and greez

ST8

Post by ST8 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:22 pm

fisto wrote:Thank you for the fast reply, python is allredy installed, but on drive d not c. D is my os-drive, maybe this plays a roll too. But with python installed i should get a red square, but there is still non. Interesting. Does a wrong located config-file make a difference in showing the square?
And do i need to erase the doc-folder in the livecontrol TO folder? I've read the instruction a few times and have done all steps. I have xp with some tweaks in the processlist, maybe i have deactivated an important process. Is there any special process which has to run in order to work?
Sorry for noobing around but It would be so cool to get that running.

Thanks and greez
Ahh i see, need some more config options. If you open RemixNet.py in a text editor you'll see theres a line with C:/Python25/Lib somewhere near the top, try changing that to D:/Python25/Lib

It shouldnt need any special processes as such, and no you dont need to delete the doc folder :)

fisto

Post by fisto » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:10 pm

Oh man IT WORKS!!! :mrgreen:
Thanks for that awesome little programm!
Just noticed that switching device-parameter banks (apart from bank 1) don't have an effect on the device when moved. banks from 2 upwards just display the correct value but don't set them.
Is this going to be implemented, a bug, or a fault from my side?

Anyway huge thanks from austria!

The Landwhale

Post by The Landwhale » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:57 am

8O .......
Thank You! .......8O

This is exactly what a LOT of people want. Getting it up and running is easy and it's working well. I wasn't able to get the midi sequencing happening, but everything else seems to work. I'm also really tired, so I may just be doing something dumb.

+1 for scene launch and navigation

davegutt

Post by davegutt » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:58 pm

Hi ST8-
First, thanks for making such a great interface- this is exactly what I was hoping would happen when the iPad was first announced.

Two things though-
On OSX, I can get all the way up to having the red box show up in Live, but I cannot get the interface to trigger/respond to anything with Live. Buttons wont do anything and any clips added to Live won't update on the iPad. I've got the version of Python recommended, a config file updated in both the MIDI Resource area and /User/myusername/ directory with proper IPs and have matched Live MIDI settings in prefs. So I'm confused...

The second thing.. probably relates to the first. Within a few minutes of fiddling with the app/Live to try to get them to talk, I completely shut down my router. While its still active, I cannot relink either my host or iPad back to the network (connection error) even though its available via my airport menu. A hard reboot of the router must occur to get things back. I assume the IPs are conflicting somehow when trying to talk when Live is running. I've never had this problem before, and both host and iPad have been functioning on the same network nicely since iPad launch.

Could be a router setting.. but I'm unsure. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks again!

jrathkopf

Post by jrathkopf » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:15 pm

I have the same issue as davegutt: I get the box to show up, but the controls for Live are not working. Also, the template labels do not show up properly, the letters are all messed up (looks like code). ANy ideas? I've followed the instructions, and created a wireless network between my macbook (10.6.1) and iPod Touch.

Can't wait to get it working!

ST8

Post by ST8 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:05 pm

fisto wrote:Oh man IT WORKS!!! :mrgreen:
Thanks for that awesome little programm!
Just noticed that switching device-parameter banks (apart from bank 1) don't have an effect on the device when moved. banks from 2 upwards just display the correct value but don't set them.
Is this going to be implemented, a bug, or a fault from my side?

Anyway huge thanks from austria!
that is most likely a bug at my end, i'll check that out
The Landwhale wrote: I wasn't able to get the midi sequencing happening, but everything else seems to work. I'm also really tired, so I may just be doing something dumb.
You need to select a blank midi clip in your set before the sequencer will work. Press and hold menu 2 and use up down left right to move the red square over a midi clip (blank or otherwise). Then you should be able to sequence midi data and the sequencer should follow the play head.
davegutt wrote: Two things though-
On OSX, I can get all the way up to having the red box show up in Live, but I cannot get the interface to trigger/respond to anything with Live. Buttons wont do anything and any clips added to Live won't update on the iPad. I've got the version of Python recommended, a config file updated in both the MIDI Resource area and /User/myusername/ directory with proper IPs and have matched Live MIDI settings in prefs. So I'm confused...

The second thing.. probably relates to the first. Within a few minutes of fiddling with the app/Live to try to get them to talk, I completely shut down my router. While its still active, I cannot relink either my host or iPad back to the network (connection error) even though its available via my airport menu. A hard reboot of the router must occur to get things back. I assume the IPs are conflicting somehow when trying to talk when Live is running. I've never had this problem before, and both host and iPad have been functioning on the same network nicely since iPad launch.
Are you running any sort of firewall? What do you ips look like, are they on a 192.x.x.x range or a 169.x.x.x range?
jrathkopf wrote:I have the same issue as davegutt: I get the box to show up, but the controls for Live are not working. Also, the template labels do not show up properly, the letters are all messed up (looks like code). ANy ideas? I've followed the instructions, and created a wireless network between my macbook (10.6.1) and iPod Touch.

Can't wait to get it working!
If the labels are jumbled you need to download the latest version of the TouchOSC editor. Again same question, what ip range are the macbook and ipad on? I was under the impression that 169.x.x.x. ip addresses could not communicate with the outside world.

davegutt

Post by davegutt » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:20 pm

[quote="ST8"]

Are you running any sort of firewall? What do you ips look like, are they on a 192.x.x.x range or a 169.x.x.x range?

No firewall, stock Linksys wrt54g. 192.168.1.x

ST8

Post by ST8 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:00 pm

davegutt wrote:
ST8 wrote:

Hmm ips sound fine, are the ports in touchosc correct?

davegutt

Post by davegutt » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:33 pm

ST8 wrote:
davegutt wrote:
ST8 wrote:

Hmm ips sound fine, are the ports in touchosc correct?
LiveControl_To.txt --
send 5001
receive 5000

iPad--
outgoing 5000
incoming 5001

Thanks for the continued help.

ST8

Post by ST8 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:49 am

davegutt wrote:
LiveControl_To.txt --
send 5001
receive 5000

iPad--
outgoing 5000
incoming 5001

Hmm that all sounds fine, are you on Live 8.1 or newer?

davegutt

Post by davegutt » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:41 am

ST8 wrote:
davegutt wrote:
LiveControl_To.txt --
send 5001
receive 5000

iPad--
outgoing 5000
incoming 5001

Hmm that all sounds fine, are you on Live 8.1 or newer?
Live 8.1.

Strange, isn't it?

ST8

Post by ST8 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:04 pm

Just updated the zip, lots of bug fixes.

Dave see pm.

jrathkopf

Post by jrathkopf » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:47 pm

Hi S8,

My created network does indeed have 169.254.xx.xxx for the Mac and iPod Touch. Does this mean it won't work unless I connect via an internet wireless connection? I will need to use this combo in places where I have to setup my own network due to lack of internet wifi.

Thanks!