There's hope for Hip Hop yet...

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
H20nly

Re: There's hope for Hip Hop yet...

Post by H20nly » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:23 pm

JuanSOLO wrote:
gaijin1717 wrote:Just wanted to jump in to say: Street Sweeper Social Club, B. Dolan, Aceyalone, etc., etc., etc. If you think hip hop is dying you aren't looking hard enough.
Acey was once upon a time a favorite MC. For me it's not about looking hard enough, although I do like finding out things I haven't heard or missed. However guys like Acey and even Abstract Rude are a few of the MC's whos last few albums have been ultra lack luster to me. Granted there are some gems here and there, but over all I feel it's redundant and "sometimes" surprisingly shallow. But what do I know, I still rock Kool Kieth and the Beastie Boys.

I feel the same way... Acealoyne, Abstract Rude, Micah 9 all those guys have some great tracks but I began to find that I skip most of the disc. If in the end all I got was two or three great tracks for 10-15 bucks then I got a little cheated. I appreciate their work, for what its worth, but I bought the CD to hear good music not necessarily just work.

The new Souls of Mischief album is the inverse of that...

Besides, I realize that there is stuff out there and you have to dig for it, but thats the problem... you have to dig for it. Isn't there something a little wrong with this statement?

I'm willing to pull those 3 tracks out of 12-18 off the disc and put those in my playlist, but I'd much rather grab the whole disc and pop that in my car's player as I head down the road.

Shouldn't the people making the hip-hop do the digging? I mean, I for one am glad that Thes1 and Double K do all the digging they do, but when I pop in a disc that I copped at a show. I want to be able to enjoy most of it.

Besides the subject I chose for this thread had more to do with the world looking at hip hop as... as... whatever the hell that shit is on TV and on the radio.

gaijin1717 I wasn't taking from the inside looking out.. I meant from the outside looking in.
Last edited by H20nly on Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LoopStationZebra wrote:it's like a hipster commie pinko manifesto. Rambling. Angry. Nearly divorced from all reality; yet strangely compelling with a ring of truth.

gaijin1717

Post by gaijin1717 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:24 pm

JuanSOLO wrote:Acey was once upon a time a favorite MC. For me it's not about looking hard enough, although I do like finding out things I haven't heard or missed. However guys like Acey and even Abstract Rude are a few of the MC's whos last few albums have been ultra lack luster to me. Granted there are some gems here and there, but over all I feel it's redundant and "sometimes" surprisingly shallow.
Really? I mean, I agree that Magnificent City, Lightning Strikes and Grand Imperial weren't great, expecially compared to All Balls Don't Bounce, Book of Human Language, Love and Hate and Accepted Eclectic. But the Lonely Ones was quite the comeback IMHO.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:33 pm

links! especially of stuff released from the last few years.

agreed, Aceyalone, Haiku D'Etat, Freestyle Fellowship (but that's getting back to the 90s.)

I missed a PUTS release last year, anyone hear it? Carried Away.
http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=am ... foxzqald0e
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

gaijin1717

Post by gaijin1717 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:37 pm

H20nly wrote:I feel the same way... Acealoyne, Abstract Rude, Micah 9 all those guys have some great tracks but I began to find that I skip most of the disc. If in the end all I got was two or three great tracks for 10-15 bucks then I got a little cheated. I appreciate their work, for what its worth, but I bought the CD to hear good music not necessarily just work.

The new Souls of Mischief album is the inverse of that...

Besides, I realize that there is stuff out there and you have to dig for it, but thats the problem... you have to dig for it. Isn't there something a little wrong with this statement?

I'm willing to pull those 3 tracks out of 12-18 off the disc and put those in my playlist, but I'd much rather grab the whole disc and pop that in my car's player as I head down the road.

Shouldn't the people making the hip-hop do the digging? I mean, I for one am glad that Thes1 and Double K do all the digging they do, but when I pop in a disc that I copped at a show. I want to be able to enjoy most of it.

Besides the subject I chose for this thread had more to do with the world looking at hip hop as... as... whatever the hell that shit is on TV and on the radio.

gaijin1717 I wasn't taking from the inside looking out.. I meant from the outside looking in.
I definitely feel what you're saying, but my perspective is that I have to dig in any genre. To me it's exciting.

No, you shouldn't buy an album and only like a few of the songs, but then, maybe you shouldn't have purchased the album without knowing what you were getting? (I do the same on occassion, BTW).

I'm not happy that the world at large basis the current state of hip hop as a genre on what they hear on the radio, but that's their ignorance and their problem. Perhaps I'm missing the larger issue here?

gaijin1717

Post by gaijin1717 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:40 pm

Tone Deft wrote:links! especially of stuff released from the last few years.

agreed, Aceyalone, Haiku D'Etat, Freestyle Fellowship (but that's getting back to the 90s.)

I missed a PUTS release last year, anyone hear it? Carried Away.
Tone, FF just did a reunion show, so while the Innercity Griots heyday was in the 90s, I still think they're doing some good stuff currently. The Goodlife and Project Blowed in general.

I saw an amazing set of 45 vinyl put together by PUTS last week at Amoeba. I'll probably go back to pick it up.

gaijin1717

Post by gaijin1717 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:43 pm

jez3122

Post by jez3122 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:48 pm

Love this.......reminds me why i first got into hip hop 8)
Live 7.0.16, core 2 Quad 2.66ghz 4 gb ram,ESI U46SE,Vestax VCM-600, M-Audio Axiom 25,
evolution249c,Maudio Xpression pro, various guitars,Akai mpd16, NI intact,YamahaMSP3's,zoom323, a Ukulele and a Crate of Stella.

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:48 pm

Some of these statements seem to be related to all music released these days. Seems it's harder for acts to craft a FULL album. I'm guessing the accessibility to record and produce a record has many people releasing everything in a private setting. Not exposing themselves to fellow critiques while recording, where someone might say "3 out of the 10 songs are good, the others sound like filler, loose em." It just seems harder and harder to discover a new ALBUM and not just a single.

I agree the new souls of mischief is sounding nice, go figure it's Prince Paul, I would be surprised if he didn't come correct.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:55 pm

Tone Deft wrote:I missed a PUTS release last year, anyone hear it? Carried Away.
8O I missed it too... People Under the Stairs are fuckin awesome.. any track of theirs that may be a little sub par on the album are blown away by their live performance. Those guys are the shit... I didn't know they had another album after Step Father. I'll probably just buy it... I trust em.

@ gaijin1717 I don't think you're missing anything... shit you could probably hip us all to some more hope for hip hop...

this has actually been a really peaceful, chill thread. I think someone tried to be a little cuntish in the beginning but failed and its just been mellow ever since.

Maybe the real problem here is a live vs. studio thing... When I saw Haiku D'Etat I was in Colorado Springs at Calicomm 04... I didn't know about Aaron, Mike and Eddy, but I sure enough went out and bought their albums in the weeks to come. I even briefly met Ab Rude that night.
LoopStationZebra wrote:it's like a hipster commie pinko manifesto. Rambling. Angry. Nearly divorced from all reality; yet strangely compelling with a ring of truth.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:58 pm

gaijin1717 wrote:Tone, FF just did a reunion show.
one of life's bitter stings is hearing about a show a week after it goes down. :cry:

bummer hip hop show... The Pharcyde at the Independent ~1993, they played 3 songs and bolted. FFUUUUUUUCK!!!!! flip side, Public Enemy with Anthrax a few years later, deeeyamn!! Anthrax's PA went out halfway through, sweet!
I saw an amazing set of 45 vinyl put together by PUTS last week at Amoeba. I'll probably go back to pick it up.
the Haight store? not if I get there first. :twisted: ;)

re: crate digging, just started an Aceyalone Pandora channel, I hope they deliver.
Aceyalone - Grand Imperial
Jurrasic 5 - What's Golden ('the vocal Herman Munster' LOL)
PUTS - San Francisco Knights
Blackalicious - A2G
Aceyalone - The Faces

so far so good but aside from the last one it's all stuff I already own, not that I have a definitive rap collection. ;)
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

gaijin1717

Post by gaijin1717 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:04 pm

I'm in Oakland now, so go check out the Haight street store. I won't fight you for that one.

To (mis)quote Sage Francis: How many MCs does it take to screw in a light bulb? 3 - one to screw it in and two to argue about how the old one was so much better.

:D

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:06 pm

AGREED that most of these acts I could care less about their latest albums and rarely play new Hip Hop in a DJ mix, but if any of them come to town and do a show I will always try my best to go. I don't care much for Blackalicious albums and other related groups, but their shows have been TOP NOTCH, mind blowing at times.

Ive been diggin this cat here http://www.myspace.com/edgemuzic.

I saw KRS One in San Fran a couple years ago and it was FANTASTIC, however I will rarely play any of his recorded tunes.

gaijin1717

Post by gaijin1717 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:10 pm

Anyone familiar with Mumia 911 by the Unbound Allstars on The Unbound Project Vol. 1 (2000)? Now that's some good shit. Whatever happened to Vol. 2?

@JuanSOLO - Agree about Blackalicious. Nothings really made me want to buy an album since Nia. Deception is classic IMO. Great performer though. Saw him at the Rasputins on Telegraph for free, but that was back in 2002 or 2003, right after the Blazing Arrow release.

starving student

Post by starving student » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:27 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yn3ylIr2RYg

"i'm confused"
"i'm glad i made music in the era i made music in"

me too paul me too

Nick Shepherd

Post by Nick Shepherd » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:01 pm

hmn i must be so ignorant, i ignored this thread for a few days :?

thx H20 for pointing this out, great stuff from the Souls - totally loving it

few days ago i played Mathias Meyer - Infinity at a gig and i had a few guys asking what tune that was, i actually really like what meyer did with the sample 8)