The Maschine & Ableton Love Thread ;) [upon user request]

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
SubFunk

The Maschine & Ableton Love Thread ;) [upon user request]

Post by SubFunk » Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:06 pm

hi Tarekith, you asked a while ago to keep you updated on if my excitement for maschine wears off or holds.

i can tell you that the excitement and love grows day to day.

the more i use it the more i discover the sheer power and unbelievable integration into ALL other software i own and permanently use.
the drag and drop midi or audio patterns directly from maschine since 1.5 is just killer, especially in combination with live.

it is the absolute perfect midi controller for Traktor and live (with full visual feedback) i built custom templates for both (the controller editor is also awesome!) and have now the perfect control, plus it acts as a MCU unit (mackie control) perfect in Logic, too (again with full visual feedback)

the MCU mode is still a little bit flakey, but they work on it to make it dead stable.

and the maschine itself leaves me still speechless and is endless fun.

in short, i think it is the most excitement and fun music product of the last 20 years.

if ableton get;s it's act together with L8 then i am happy and all my needs are covered.

and did i mentioned that you don't need to touch the comp at all anymore (with maschine itself), even my Traktor template (totally mouse less and no need to ever touch the computer again during a dj gig) and live (nearly mouse less) and MCU for logic makes it also nearly mouse less.

killer. the best 600 euros ever spend since i am into music.
Last edited by SubFunk on Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
*** Image GAFM ***

SubFunk

Re: @ Tarekith [maschine&live]

Post by SubFunk » Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:04 pm

and BTW comparing it to the Akai MPC series is just plain stupid and can only come from people who never really worked with maschine.
(i used to own for many years an MPC 2000xl (was my main sequencer long before i had a computer), so i do have a comparison and an MPC is nothing like it at all!)
*** Image GAFM ***

delicioso

Post by delicioso » Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:59 pm

SubFunk wrote:and the maschine itself leaves me still speechless and is endless fun.

in short, i think it is the most excitement and fun music product of the last 20 years.
co-sign.

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:04 pm

yeah it's simple (in the most beautiful and positive sense),
every single bit about it feels like it is made by real users and not a product invented at some office desk.
*** Image GAFM ***

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:28 pm

dude, yeah. Said it before, but: I want one! :P
First hardware I have really wanted in a long time.

Comon, more love stories please!! Im in the romantic corner!
:oops: :lol:

john gordon

Post by john gordon » Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:33 pm

i love it.

logic_user99

Post by logic_user99 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:34 pm

@Subfunk. You f**ker, you just cost me £600!!! :oops: :)

Seriously, though. If I finally get the time to start making music again - properly, dedicated time, and gigging - I will be picking up Maschine without a bat of an eyelid. The potential is insane! I've by no means exhausted Live 7's poential, but have a pretty good system going and know my way around it; I bet there's a ton of stuff to learn, though.

So yeah. Put me down for Maschine, too, please!
Macbook | Live 7.0.18 |

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:45 pm

Hows the size ratio compared to apc 40, about the same?

If you got the two side by side, in front of the screen, can you still reach a mouse on each side?
Cuz I got the apc sitn nicely there alone..

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:05 pm

ze2be wrote:Hows the size ratio compared to apc 40, about the same?

If you got the two side by side, in front of the screen, can you still reach a mouse on each side?
Cuz I got the apc sitn nicely there alone..
na not at all, easy goes into a bag is super duper sturdy german like quality built and extremely light (i think) AND IT IS USB POWERD!!! yeah!!! yeah!!! yeah!!!

it just does not have those nonsense side add ons that just cost space for no apparent reason, i got a new fairly small bag back that fits, my 15" MBP, maschine, my sound card, the griffin elevator stand, a headphone and cables, perfect.

that is another point i love so much about it, i take this bag pack and have the ultimate controller for all my existing software with me.
Last edited by SubFunk on Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*** Image GAFM ***

interceptor

Post by interceptor » Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:08 pm

+1 @ subfunk.

had it for ca. 1 year now and loving it more and more.

squelcht

Post by squelcht » Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:09 pm

Maschine is bar none the best piece of gear I've had the privilege to own & produce with. Any body who's familiar with the MPC KNOWS Maschine dick slaps it (with an attached razor blade) in the face. I've said it once & I'll say it again - I have NEVER had such better control over my drum programming until Maschine. I truthfully don't know what more I could ask from the unit. EVERY detail of your sequencing can be controlled so fluently. The ease of editing/shaping/tweaking down every single "hit" or "pad" is just plain sickingly retardo stoopid frigin' badass. My 2 mutha fucting cent. Cheers 8)

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:12 pm

SubFunk wrote: every single bit about it feels like it is made by real users and not a product invented at some office desk.
This is exactly the impression I get as well.

Not much left to be desired after the 1.5 update. It would be nice to have some way to stretch loops that wasn't based on slicing, like how kontakt has Time Machine, and Kontakt still has a bit of an edge in the actual slicing workflow, but the progress of Maschine is so impressive, I'm sure it'll be on par in no time with regards to loops.
Professional Shark Jumper.

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:12 pm

squelcht wrote:EVERY detail of your sequencing can be controlled so fluently. The ease of editing/shaping/tweaking down every single "hit" or "pad" is just plain sickingly retardo stoopid frigin' badass. My 2 mutha fucting cent. Cheers 8)
yep!
*** Image GAFM ***

squelcht

Post by squelcht » Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:13 pm

ze2be wrote:Hows the size ratio compared to apc 40, about the same?
AKAI fails sooo hard when it comes to the size's of there gear. There's so much excess crap ass unneccesary plastic space that its ridiculous. Thats a big part why I got rid of the APC. Space killer. Launchpad suits much better. Launchpad + Maschine makes you start cooking with fire. Throw in a Remote SL & its all fkn good bitches :twisted:

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:15 pm

squelcht wrote:Any body who's familiar with the MPC KNOWS Maschine dick slaps it (with an attached razor blade) in the face.
if the maschine doesn't hold samples onboard then you're still going to be wrestling with latency issues. this is where the mpc and hardware samplers pwn the Maschine and any outboard controller.

I have read nothing but great reviews of the Maschine, props to it BUT there's something to be said for dedicated hardware samplers. this is a big deal for anyone programming real time drums.

I do get the sense that one has to play with in IRL to understand the work flow and depths of its sequencer and whatnot.

damn you guys and your bad influences!
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz