Is Live 9 going to be 64 bit?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
tw1nstates

Is Live 9 going to be 64 bit?

Post by tw1nstates » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:27 pm

Just sayin . . .
I slipped into a daze, whilst I was there I heard the most startling music, it was at once familiar and alien, reassuring and unsettling.
https://soundcloud.com/fearoftherave

tw1nstates

Re: Is Live 9 going to be 64 bit?

Post by tw1nstates » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:30 pm

And can I have a free version?

This would be for the fact that Ableton didn't work without crashing every 5 minutes for about 2 months, tech support couldn't figure the problem out and I ended up shooting it out with the tech support from another company. . .

I am still amazed that Ableton haven't put a sticky up about crashing and how it relates to using over 2 gigs of system Ram. . . (on a mac). . .
I slipped into a daze, whilst I was there I heard the most startling music, it was at once familiar and alien, reassuring and unsettling.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:57 pm

it will be 128 bit, crash twice as much, and you WILL test it.
LoopStationZebra wrote:it's like a hipster commie pinko manifesto. Rambling. Angry. Nearly divorced from all reality; yet strangely compelling with a ring of truth.

re.mark

Post by re.mark » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:15 pm

Im looking forward to Live 8.?

edit: That should be Pi, but it doesnt display right here grrrrrrrr

oblique strategies

Post by oblique strategies » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:52 pm

tw1nstates wrote:I am still amazed that Ableton haven't put a sticky up about crashing and how it relates to using over 2 gigs of system Ram. . . (on a mac). . .
Please elaborate

orgul

Post by orgul » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:38 am

re.mark wrote:Im looking forward to Live 8.?

edit: That should be Pi, but it doesnt display right here grrrrrrrr
:lol: :lol:

tw1nstates

Post by tw1nstates » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:43 am

oblique strategies wrote:
tw1nstates wrote:I am still amazed that Ableton haven't put a sticky up about crashing and how it relates to using over 2 gigs of system Ram. . . (on a mac). . .
Please elaborate

If I load up a project that is running at around 2.x gigs of system ram being used (not virtual) and I load another instance of stylus, omnisphere - anything that takes it over say about 2.5 gigs it crashes live instantly.

It took me ages, I mailed their people, sent in crash reports etc.

I was told it was various plugins causing the problem and various other things.

Updated, got on the beta cycle (never again, let me assure you!)

Eventually I noticed that it was happening when i loaded omnisphere or stylus a lot, spoke to the chaps at Spectrasonics and they told me that I needed to look at my system ram usage and that would sort it out.

Did so, bounced some stuff and presto, everything was a lot better.

It's really annoying that Ableton dont tell people about this.

I am sure it was a part of a lot of ppl experiencing crashes earlier in the year. I noticed ti moving from 7 to 8 but I reckon that was cos 8 uses a little more ram so if you are maxed out then, poof. . .

anybody human

Post by anybody human » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:38 am

Wow, that's interesting. Thanks for posting, good to know.
I have another question though, how difficult would it be to make Live 64bit compatible? Spectrasonics worked on that for a long time if I remember correctly.

Sibanger

Post by Sibanger » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:28 pm

tw1nstates wrote:
Please elaborate

I am sure it was a part of a lot of ppl experiencing crashes earlier in the year. I noticed it moving from 7 to 8 but I reckon that was cos 8 uses a little more ram so if you are maxed out then, poof. . .

It's no secret.....but yeah, I bet Abes aren't shouting it from the rooftops. It's worse if your on PC. :(
Nearly all my 'serious' crashes have been the memory issue.

Check this out-
Cej wrote:Ableton's bug report replied with:
"It's possible that this set requires a huge amount of memory which exceeds Live's memory limit (2-3 GB on Windows and 4 GB on MacOS)"

Worked this out just as they replied - my page file was pushing 1.89GB, as soon as I tried doing something, it would crash.
- From-http://forum.ableton.com/posting.php?mo ... &p=1117748

Just hope they are working on a fix for this bottle neck.

HeadrickProductions

Post by HeadrickProductions » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:35 pm

tw1nstates wrote:
Please elaborate

If I load up a project that is running at around 2.x gigs of system ram being used (not virtual) and I load another instance of stylus, omnisphere - anything that takes it over say about 2.5 gigs it crashes live instantly.

It took me ages, I mailed their people, sent in crash reports etc.

I was told it was various plugins causing the problem and various other things.

Updated, got on the beta cycle (never again, let me assure you!)

Eventually I noticed that it was happening when i loaded omnisphere or stylus a lot, spoke to the chaps at Spectrasonics and they told me that I needed to look at my system ram usage and that would sort it out.

Did so, bounced some stuff and presto, everything was a lot better.

I am sure it was a part of a lot of ppl experiencing crashes earlier in the year. I noticed ti moving from 7 to 8 but I reckon that was cos 8 uses a little more ram so if you are maxed out then, poof. . .

I'm on PC so I don't know if you can, but could you explain whatever you did to sort this out on mac....maybe I can try this on mine. I'm on a 64 bit 7 with 8 gb using some heavier plugin sounds, this might be my issue as well.

At the very least, thanks for the info....I've seen people discussing this before
In a K induced Haze (the old K kind not the special K kind ), but an Asian spizz can sometimes bring me out! If ya don't get it, ya never will.

Swing like your life depends on it