MASCHINE 1.5 UPDATE IS OUT!!!!!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
SubFunk

Re: MASCHINE 1.5 UPDATE IS OUT!!!!!

Post by SubFunk » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:28 pm

glitchrock-buddha wrote:but given that it's most useful function is acting as a drum machine.
i totally disagree!!!

i would not love this thing if that would be the case.

or you are one of those that did not fully understood maschine yet?
*** Image GAFM ***

fatrabbit

Post by fatrabbit » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:26 pm

The new update has got me intersted in Maschine. Not sure why it hasn't before, maybe I just dismissed it without really looking at it.

Anyway, I have a couple questions...

1. How does this thing integrate into Live? I've seen the video where they drag both MIDI and Audio from the Maschine window onto a track. But it sort of looks a little clumsy - is this just the video, does it integrate very well with Live?

2. Sort of related to the first point, but I do collaborations with someone using Live and Dropbox (works rather well), however we obviously run into difficulties when one of us has a plugin that the other doesn't. If I were to get Maschine, is it straight forward to just freeze tracks or whatever so the other person can hear the track (and add their own audio and MIDI channels) but so that I could still edit the stuff I made in Maschine? Or would I have to flatten all the audio first?

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:20 pm

SubFunk wrote:
glitchrock-buddha wrote:but given that it's most useful function is acting as a drum machine.
i totally disagree!!!

i would not love this thing if that would be the case.

or you are one of those that did not fully understood maschine yet?
No I definitely use it in a lot of ways. And I don't mean just a sequencing drum machine, I also mean recording by playing the pads or keys going into maschine.

My statement in no way is meant to diminish its perceived usefulness. Sure it can play sampled melodic instruments but it's focus is triggering drum hits or slices and other one-shot samples and fx. There's no end to the creative potential the way they have it set up, but this type of process is most useful in electronic music. That's pretty much obvious though as you don't trigger samples in a live folk band or symphonic ensemble unless you're doing some hybrid style with electronic music.

And in that respect, if we're being honest, no it's not really like comparing to Logic or Cubase, because you don't use it for recording full multi-track recordings of any instrument you want. It's focused on various types of electronic music, and that in no way limits it's usefulness.
Professional Shark Jumper.

supamonsta

Post by supamonsta » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:00 pm

Fatrabbit wrote:does it integrate very well with Live?
what does mean "very well" and "Live" to you? (I don't ask for "integrate", as it's generic / standard, and has a precise common definition)

Maschine can integrate live VERY VERY well with live, as it also is possible to find it too much limited too...

see my thread http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=140924 for further details about integrating maschine in a live set embedding also multiple midi soft or hard synths. It can be extremely tedious or limited in some ways if you want really complex integration...

but it works VERY WELL once set up.

For integration in a more simple setup, maschine is a 8-audio-out / 16 channels midi realtime sequencer PLUGIN with dedicated hardware, and it's extremely WELL integrable to live as a plugin host...

cheers!

Hey Sub', "GAFM" also works for "Get a Fuckin' Maschine" !!!!
:mrgreen:

mholloway

Post by mholloway » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:06 pm

My Maschine is in the mail. Ahhhhhhh ANTICIPATION.

The 1.5 update functionality is specifically what sold me at last, especially the drag+drop into host functionality. But it will be nice to finally have some pads to bang on, too ;)

Bring it on.

-M
my industrial music made with Ableton Live (as DEAD WHEN I FOUND HER): https://deadwhenifoundher.bandcamp.com/
my dark jazz / noir music made with Ableton Live: https://michaelarthurholloway.bandcamp. ... guilt-noir

cmreal04

Post by cmreal04 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:34 pm

mholloway wrote:My Maschine is in the mail. Ahhhhhhh ANTICIPATION.

The 1.5 update functionality is specifically what sold me at last, especially the drag+drop into host functionality. But it will be nice to finally have some pads to bang on, too ;)

Bring it on.

-M
You will not be disappointed,and those are not just pads you will be banging on, they're the best on any pad controller available. Wait till you actually play a percussion piece with actual velocity variation or use note repeat with some hi hat, tam, shakers, whatever with some "real" velocity variation, really breathes a ton of life into your performance. You just wait!!!
Ableton 9, Feeltune Rhizome, Focusrite Pro, Mpk249....

distaudio

Post by distaudio » Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:12 am

Bring it on.

-M
Be sure to let us know when you release some tracks you have done with MASCHINE.

I would like to know what impact it has on your style.

STRATEGY_510

Post by STRATEGY_510 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:49 am

doremifa wrote:Man, I look at this and start hating fxPansion, which Guru 1.something is already 4 years old!!! And no radical changes, just misc. Where the fuck is version 2?
I was just thinking about how I should get rid of Guru + mpd24 and trade up to Maschine..

STRATEGY

mholloway

Post by mholloway » Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:05 am

distaudio wrote:

Bring it on.

-M
Be sure to let us know when you release some tracks you have done with MASCHINE.

I would like to know what impact it has on your style.
Sure thing, will do. I'm curious as well how having drum-oriented hardware will effect/change my workflow. I keep my hardware to a minimum but this thing has just gotten too good to ignore any longer (surprised I made it as long as I did).

-M
my industrial music made with Ableton Live (as DEAD WHEN I FOUND HER): https://deadwhenifoundher.bandcamp.com/
my dark jazz / noir music made with Ableton Live: https://michaelarthurholloway.bandcamp. ... guilt-noir

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:18 am

SubFunk wrote:i don't think there is any product where the videos suck so badly like with maschine, the shit videos are all the same and show about 10% of maschine...

well, Axel... um.......how about.......!!! :wink: :D :D :D

srsly, would love to see a demo from your good self! 8) You've got me very interested.
MBP M1Max | MacOS 12.7.2 | Live 11.3.20 | Babyface Pro FS | Push 3 (tethered) | a whole other bunch of controllers
Ableton Certified Trainer
Soundcloud

distaudio

Post by distaudio » Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:42 am

Pitch Black wrote:
SubFunk wrote:i don't think there is any product where the videos suck so badly like with maschine, the shit videos are all the same and show about 10% of maschine...

srsly, would love to see a demo from your good self! 8) You've got me very interested.

I tend to agree. By the looks of the videos there is a really really narrow market they are trying to push this on.

Every Maschine artist video opening with the musician saying 'Word up, it's your boy.....' gives me the impression they are not looking at a very large demographic.

Hence why I am asking mholloway to provide some demos of what he comes up with as I don't fall into the NI Maschine target demographic.

logic_user99

Post by logic_user99 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:10 am

Bring it on.

-M
AH! COOL! Is that two forumite purchases in one day, based on these two threads? LawLz. Mine should be landing today!

I feel your anticipation, broseph. Enjoy.
Macbook | Live 7.0.18 |

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:16 am

Proud Father videos please! :D

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:44 am

Pitch Black wrote:

well, yesterday i gave skeet here from the forum a little taster, he is local (and was witness btw about my first unpleasant touch with 8.1.3, in case after reactions in my other thread people think i am talking bullshit, grumple.... ) i guess you or anyone else would need a plane ticket, i don't own any kind of video device nor do i have a single clue about it, plus the fact that i have very different plans spreading my real know how in the future.

p.s. or invite me to kiwi land and you get a full blown 1-1 demo LOL
*** Image GAFM ***

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:58 am

Consider yourself invited mate!

till then, i'll live off your juicy text morsals....

your enthusiasm is contagious!

:D
MBP M1Max | MacOS 12.7.2 | Live 11.3.20 | Babyface Pro FS | Push 3 (tethered) | a whole other bunch of controllers
Ableton Certified Trainer
Soundcloud