Please add PDC support at least while rendering

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.

Please add PDC support at least while rendering

Post by Guest » Fri Aug 06, 2004 6:45 pm

and Live4 will be the best DAW on the market.

This (PDC integration) doesnt have to be a real-time feature but is a must for exporting the final track.

Many thanks Ableton team rulers of the audio scene :wink:

timothyallan

Post by timothyallan » Mon Apr 11, 2005 4:06 am

Huge agreement for this one. I just found out that 350 mb of drum loops i exported all have a 20-30ms delay on the start of them because of this!

I now have to go and manually trim all of them now because the ms varies slightly and i cant afford to chop any transients off if i batch trim them!!

Sly One

Post by Sly One » Tue Apr 12, 2005 6:50 am

If there's anything to trim on your drum samples, that's a problem with your samples and nothing that PDC would assist with. Make sure drum samples are tightly trimmed, always.

PDC is really not essential for anything. All it does is introduce delays into your signal chain along routes not occupied by delaying plugins so that those routes are delayed by as much as those *with* the plugins. You can do this quickly and manually using a sample delayn plguin (there's free ones out there), and people have been doing this for years before PDC came along. There are many many things that are moreannoying at the moment - and using plugins with inherent delay is hardly what the live concept is all about!

timothyallan

Post by timothyallan » Tue Apr 12, 2005 6:59 am

heheh, there is nothing wrong with my samples. The problem is the delay introduced by lookahead VST FX plugins that I have on the master buss... and yes, I really do want to keep them on the master bus and not export my tracks to another DAW :)

I do use sample delay on other tracks internally to compensate for PD, which is not a big deal to me.

Try putting a plugin like ozone and PSP vintage warmer on your master buss, then render a 4 bar clip. The look at the starting of the clip very carefully, you'll noticed 40ms or so of silence. Rendering as loop will add filler to this 40ms, but you'll notice that your loop is still 40ms out...

This is fine in a live environment, but when you need to make hundreds of seamless loops for a client that start exactly on the 1 beat, its a different story.

Sly One

Post by Sly One » Tue Apr 12, 2005 7:02 am

Fair enough! So you're talking about trimming the loops after resampling. I can see that would be a real pain.

*doffs cap*