Serious CPU Glitch In Live 8/OSX

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
mmr

Serious CPU Glitch In Live 8/OSX

Post by mmr » Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:27 am

OK - so i thought I'd wait till another update occurred. So I just installed 8.1.3 but the bug I'm experiencing is still there. This is really annoying - I'm having to use 6.0.11 to even use anything in Live. I'm losing heart - and doing more and more in Logic so thanks for this Ableton.

I run an iMac with OSX 10.6.3. Whenever I loop anything in Live it glitches, skips and/or distorts at bar 1... so every 2/4/8 bars depending on what I have the loop set to. I've tried everything - running the audio from RAM, different drives, audio settings. None of this happens in 6.0.11 - it loops perfectly without any of these issues in this version.

Anyone got any suggestions, words of wisdom??

Many thanks,

Lorin

ps - it appears to be CPU related - but I'm only running a couple of loops. CPU ar around 24% just to run a couple of audio loops??? WTF???

Here's another clue - With the same track in Live 6 - if I ramp the tempo upto 1000 and back the CPU meter stays solid and no glitches. In Live 8 it goes to shit and the CPU hits 110%.. it just becomes distorted hell. Definitely Live 8 is goosed with CPU issues in OSX. STILL.

Michael Hatsis

Re: Serious CPU Glitch In Live 8/OSX

Post by Michael Hatsis » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:04 am

Arre you using complex pro for your warp mode? I get pops and clicks with this mode everytime it gets back to the loop start. kind of useless. been there since Live 8 beta. Try a different warp mode, that would also explain the high cpu usage ( using complex pro that is ) that algoritm is a bit more cpu hungry.

Mike

mmr

Post by mmr » Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:01 am

Thanks Mike - yeah, certainly a lot better - but still getting very high cpu readings... although the annoying glitch has gone so at least I can get working in 8.

Much thanks.

Pasha

Post by Pasha » Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:31 am

... good. Do not forget to file a bug.
Mac Studio M1
Live 12 Suite,Zebra ,Valhalla Plugins, MIDI Guitar (2+3),Guitar, Bass, VG99, GP10, JV1010 and some controllers

evaodland

Post by evaodland » Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:09 pm

what audio interface are you using?

mmr

Post by mmr » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:49 pm

MOTU896HD at 48.. will file a bug report too.

djsynchro

Post by djsynchro » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:02 pm

it just works

mja

Post by mja » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:35 pm

I`m running Live 7 on a brand new mac book pro.

It seems every ten minutes or so my cpu goes from 20% to like 1000% and the music stops for about two seconds.

I think it`s a compatibility issue with Snow Leopard.I could be wrong though.

kirlian

Post by kirlian » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:11 am

yeah, i've been having this too. osx 10.5.8 here. live 8.2.3 i won't be using complex pro anymore. totally unusable with the clicks at each loop restart.

i can't remember when the cpu spikes started. they were so subtle at first...

just another ableton lover that hopes i can have stability and glitch free music making again soon.

Xelat

Post by Xelat » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:44 am

hey guys, had the same issue until I started to switch of airport while using live. having no more problems since ....
MacBook Pro, 2.66 GHz Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 256 SSD, OS X 1.06, Live 8.1.3

darkmelody

Post by darkmelody » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:35 am

Xelat wrote:hey guys, had the same issue until I started to switch of airport while using live. having no more problems since ....
That is very interesting. I will have to try it. I have gone back to version 7, but hadn't heard of the airport work around.

mja

Post by mja » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:20 pm

Xelat wrote:hey guys, had the same issue until I started to switch of airport while using live. having no more problems since ....
Nice one ! ! I must check it out later :P

Isturite-

Post by Isturite- » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:25 pm

i have a similar issue very badly in Live 8 where at this certain point in the song, the audio clicks and cuts out for a split second, at a point in the song that is supposed to be smooth... i have actually abandoned the song due to the countless hours trying to figure out whats causing it

Another problem is not all my midi notes play, sometimes ableton wont trigger a note from a clip and i have to close it down and start it back up for it to work.

what is happening to this program?? i didnt have these issues in Live 7
Kevin Welch
[Isturite]

http://www.soundcloud.com/isturite

Pyro Z

Post by Pyro Z » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:38 pm

Isturite- wrote:i have a similar issue very badly in Live 8 where at this certain point in the song, the audio clicks and cuts out for a split second, at a point in the song that is supposed to be smooth... i have actually abandoned the song due to the countless hours trying to figure out whats causing it

If there is no reason (GUI-wise) on the arrangement that it should do that, I can pretty much bet the house on the fact that it's simply something going wrong with the playback (too many reverbs?) and not the actual content. Try rendering it to disk, see what happens. I bet you won't hear it when you play it back.
There's no such thing as gravity, the Earth sucks!

samschummer23@gmail.com

Post by samschummer23@gmail.com » Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:05 am

Im having similar issues. When I play my most recent project back I encounter a silence every 8 or 9 bars. I dont have this problem with any of my previous projects. Im not using anymore than 17% CPU as I only just layed out a few chords and melody with sylenth.

Though I did save this project previously as a templet already plugging Ozone 5 into the master chain, 2 ohmicides and 2 sausage fatteners..

That still isnt near enough for live to bug out like this.

very confused.