Global quantize when DJ ing

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Undercover Soul

Global quantize when DJ ing

Post by Undercover Soul » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:13 pm

I am in the process of swapping my CDJ set up and going fully Ableton. I was wondering what to do about the global setting for quantization. I have it at 1/4 which seems ok ish, but I have to trigger it a 1/4 before I want it to start. Is there a better way for me to set up global quantization? I turned it off and used it but that makes it a pain to loop.

All help much apreciated.

roothewhirl

Re: Global quantize when DJ ing

Post by roothewhirl » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:13 am

What kind of music are you spinning? For most dance music, I think the 1 bar global quantization works perfectly fine, just make sure you're counting your measures. Now if you're spinning Avant-Garde Jazz in say a 7/4 time signature, yeah you might wanna turn global quantize off.

If you want, you can take a look at a couple of screen casts i've made on my site that go over DJing in Ableton Live. Good luck!

Here is Part 1 of the Tutorial:

How To DJ In Ableton Live Part 1: Setting Up Ableton And Preparing The Songs

And Part 2:

How To DJ In Ableton Live Part 2: Clips, Effects And Mixing Songs

-Ryan

http://abletonlife.com
An Ableton Live Tutorial Blog

Undercover Soul

Post by Undercover Soul » Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:14 pm

Yeah the only thing about that is I have to trigger it 1 bar before I want it to start. The idea I had in mind was for it to trigger pretty much instantly while maintaining quantization. If you get what I am saying?

davepermen

Post by davepermen » Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:18 pm

Undercover Soul wrote:Yeah the only thing about that is I have to trigger it 1 bar before I want it to start. The idea I had in mind was for it to trigger pretty much instantly while maintaining quantization. If you get what I am saying?
you can trigger it instantly just before hitting the .. quant.

that's the idea of quantization. when you trigger, it waits for the next step to start.

so you don't have to trigger it 1 bar before, but WITHIN the last bar before you want it to start. you can trigger it right before playing if you want. do this all the time.
http://davepermen.net my tiny webpage, including link to bandcamp.

Zygi

Post by Zygi » Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:25 pm

maybe set every start of audio clip 1 bar behind the actual first beat?

Undercover Soul

Post by Undercover Soul » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:39 pm

Yeah I thought about doing that but it makes it a little unresponsive. Like if I load a track up and think I wanna start it now in a split second I have missed the opportunity.