APC 40 FAQs, features and questions

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
Dr. Philtron

Re: APC 40 FAQs, features and questions

Post by Dr. Philtron » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:24 pm

I am trying to rewire reason 4 into Ableton 8 and use the Axiom 49 midi keyboard to control the synths from reason and the apc40 to control the Ableton environment. The problem is that when I try to use them both at the same time, it never reads the input from my Axiom 49. I have been able to get one or the other working, but I haven't been able to get them working in tandem. I have wandered around the forums looking for an answer and I can't seem to find anything.

I am using Windows 7 64 and an M-audio Delta 1010lt audio card as well.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Markemark

Post by Markemark » Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:47 pm

Dr. Philtron wrote:I am trying to rewire reason 4 into Ableton 8 and use the Axiom 49 midi keyboard to control the synths from reason and the apc40 to control the Ableton environment. The problem is that when I try to use them both at the same time, it never reads the input from my Axiom 49. I have been able to get one or the other working, but I haven't been able to get them working in tandem. I have wandered around the forums looking for an answer and I can't seem to find anything.

What does your setup look like now(midi preferences)? And are you using the external instrument on the track for controlling/hearing reason?

NickEverett

Post by NickEverett » Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:22 am

Ok so I have a question.

Im using follow actions and a simple midi remapping to use my APC kind of like a monome using MLR or whatever. My only problem is... after I re-assign the clip launch buttons on my APC I can't seem to use the bank select to assign more clips below the initial 8x5 grid.

Im assuming... I have to do something with assigning positions within the red box rather than directly to the clip launch buttons. Anyone understand what Im talking about? How do I fix this.

Markemark

Post by Markemark » Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:41 am

NickEverett wrote:Ok so I have a question.

Im using follow actions and a simple midi remapping to use my APC kind of like a monome using MLR or whatever. My only problem is... after I re-assign the clip launch buttons on my APC I can't seem to use the bank select to assign more clips below the initial 8x5 grid.

Im assuming... I have to do something with assigning positions within the red box rather than directly to the clip launch buttons. Anyone understand what Im talking about? How do I fix this.
Did you remap the clip grid button's? by using ctrl m and then assigning?

shinobi

Post by shinobi » Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:35 pm

Can I use the APC controls in arrangement view?
How does it work in the arrangement view? It simce that nowhere says about this... :(

Markemark

Post by Markemark » Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:16 pm

shinobi wrote:Can I use the APC controls in arrangement view?
How does it work in the arrangement view? It simce that nowhere says about this... :(
Yes you can use the apc in the arrangement view just as you would with session view. Its like still being able to see/control session view while your in arrangement view on you computer screen!!!

shinobi

Post by shinobi » Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:38 pm

Thanks Marke!

Can u tell me where I could find more materials about APC functionality, cause the manual is really poor and on the Akai site there isn't much really..
(from what's in the manual, its capabilities are pretty limited and I don't think a piece of gear like that to be that limited:) )

Markemark

Post by Markemark » Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:52 pm

shinobi wrote:Thanks Marke!

Can u tell me where I could find more materials about APC functionality, cause the manual is really poor and on the Akai site there isn't much really..
(from what's in the manual, its capabilities are pretty limited and I don't think a piece of gear like that to be that limited:) )
Yes the manual is pretty much useless, but that's because the apc is very straight forward what you see in live you see/control on the apc. What capabilities do you find limited?

Dr. Philtron

Post by Dr. Philtron » Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:00 pm

Markemark wrote:
Dr. Philtron wrote:I am trying to rewire reason 4 into Ableton 8 and use the Axiom 49 midi keyboard to control the synths from reason and the apc40 to control the Ableton environment. The problem is that when I try to use them both at the same time, it never reads the input from my Axiom 49. I have been able to get one or the other working, but I haven't been able to get them working in tandem. I have wandered around the forums looking for an answer and I can't seem to find anything.

What does your setup look like now(midi preferences)? And are you using the external instrument on the track for controlling/hearing reason?
I have the Synth in reason routed through rewire to audio input into ableton. The problem is I get a signal but hear no sound in the main mix or on the audio clip. All settings are default. (i'm a noob)

djgroovy

Post by djgroovy » Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:12 pm

^ You probably forgot to turn the audio track's monitor to "In".

Markemark

Post by Markemark » Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:34 am

Dear Dr. Phil,

You didn't answer my question, so let me just give you a quick setup and you let me know if its works out for you.

1. Start ableton
2. Start reason
3. Load up a Midi track in ableton
4. Put an external instrument plug-in on that track
5. Load Subtractor
6. In the external instrument choose midi output to reason, then subtractor.
7. In the external instrument choose audio output 1/2 from reason.
8. Arm the track in ableton and play the computer keyboard.
9. Have fun, and advance to non-noob status :D
Dr. Philtron wrote:
Markemark wrote:

I have the Synth in reason routed through rewire to audio input into ableton. The problem is I get a signal but hear no sound in the main mix or on the audio clip. All settings are default. (i'm a noob)

jangbang

Post by jangbang » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:00 pm

Question about the APC20:
Since the APC20 is lacking the encoders that the apc40 comes with standard, are you able to use outside midi control such as nanokontrol to mimic the 40's ability assign an effect rack to individual channels?
Imac 27" // Macbook // Launchpad // Nanokontrol // Nanopad // Axiom 49 // Live 8 // Logic Pro 8 // Numark M1usb //

soundcloud.com/jjang

agent314

Post by agent314 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:30 pm

I've seen a few videos and screenshots from people using APCs where they have a blue box around their tracks in the Session view rather than a red one.

Is that configurable somehow?

Markemark

Post by Markemark » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:56 pm

agent314 wrote:I've seen a few videos and screenshots from people using APCs where they have a blue box around their tracks in the Session view rather than a red one.

Is that configurable somehow?
Yes it is configurable. Go to the midi preferences and deselect your apc in the #1 slot, then select it in another slot #2-6. Each slot is a different color box. Have fun!!!

Miltonaken

Post by Miltonaken » Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:52 pm

HI,

Today has arrived my brand new APC40 from Thomann but the 8 "device control" encoders don't works correctly, it presents a random behavoir and value jumps when I turn it left or right. All the other encoders, faders, pads and buttons works normaly. Can I do something? Maybe restart the APC40 firmware? How can I do it?

I would not to return it and wait 30 days ... :(

Thanks in advance for some help!