APC 40 FAQs, features and questions

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
Markemark

Re: APC 40 FAQs, features and questions

Post by Markemark » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:08 pm

Miltonaken wrote:HI,

Today has arrived my brand new APC40 from Thomann but the 8 "device control" encoders don't works correctly, it presents a random behavoir and value jumps when I turn it left or right. All the other encoders, faders, pads and buttons works normaly. Can I do something? Maybe restart the APC40 firmware? How can I do it?

I would not to return it and wait 30 days ... :(

Thanks in advance for some help!
Could you be more specific about your problem, and what are your midi settings in the preferences? Do not mess around with the firmware because you may end up bricking your apc :(

Miltonaken

Post by Miltonaken » Sat May 01, 2010 1:44 pm

Oh Sorry, I made a video to show it better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SJ2b3JhTZA

Markemark

Post by Markemark » Sat May 01, 2010 8:35 pm

Miltonaken wrote:Oh Sorry, I made a video to show it better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SJ2b3JhTZA
Okay, good video demonstrating your problem. No need to check your preference settings or the pc/mac for that matter, since you were unplugged and still having these issues. I just unplugged mine and the encoders work fine, unfortunately this looks like hardware trouble. I have never seen any posts about fixing hardware issues besides returning the apc back to akai, sorry. Maybe wait for S4racen to chime in on this.

Miltonaken

Post by Miltonaken » Sat May 01, 2010 9:02 pm

Many thanks anyway Markemark. :wink:

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Sun May 02, 2010 9:09 am

HAving looked through the video (good call recording it saves a lot of guessing) i can honestly say that there's no way that it's anything to do with the software that you're having those problems, sadly i think a journey back to the post office to get it sent back is in order, i wish i had better news for you!

Cheers
D

Miltonaken

Post by Miltonaken » Sun May 02, 2010 2:17 pm

That's what I'll do. No choice! :)

Hope soon I come here with better news.

Thank you very much for your help. :wink:

Best regards!

Evengy

Post by Evengy » Mon May 03, 2010 9:31 am

Hey,

how useful is the apc 40 for music production? i know the apc is very good for recording live arangements or djing. but whats with music production? whats the advantage and the field of application? i have an mpk 49 and there are some knobs and faders too.

best wishes
evengy

heavensdaw

Post by heavensdaw » Mon May 03, 2010 1:06 pm

Evengy wrote:Hey,

how useful is the apc 40 for music production? i know the apc is very good for recording live arangements

best wishes
evengy
I've only had my APC for a couple of weeks.. but it's that, what you stated that makes it so helpful in production.. basically it has turned my computer into a multi faceted instrument.. I'm thinking that I'll splash the cash on the Nativekontrol templates, which will give more versatility when working in Arrangement view, and a WHOLE lot more..

I wish the red box also showed up in arrangement veiw, to give an indication of what tracks are being controlled by the APC. Anyway of getting that?

Hd

flippo

Post by flippo » Mon May 03, 2010 1:08 pm

funny, I think in many ways it's kidna more suited for production than live playing really - at least as far as device control goes. Mainly because it's strength there is in ad-hoc control of lots of parameters - rather than a customized and hard-wired layout that you use over and over again, which for me personally is more suitable for live use.

It doesn't translate that well into arrangement view, though.

I think you can get some pretty cheap bomes runtime customizations that will make it a lot more useful for everyday studio use as well.

Manik

Post by Manik » Tue May 18, 2010 10:54 am

is there a way to map a snene launch to an (empty) scene so that when i pres the scene launch my screen + the red selection box jumps to this scene? This would save a lot of scrolling and would be perfect to navigate trough my live set.
I tried to map this, my ableton screen would jump to the scene but the red apc selection doesn't follow.

Big thanks :D

shinobi

Post by shinobi » Sat May 22, 2010 8:36 am

It was advertized as a control surface and not having to use the mouse anymore when using the APC 40 but that's not the truth. I found that out just after I bought it. What's your oppinion on that??

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Sat May 22, 2010 6:39 pm

Depends on what you use it for. If you have a whole 'setup', then you should be able to get away with not using a mouse.

Browsing and clip editing on the other hand won't fly using just the APC40. I think it is primarily for DJs. Can be used for music performance, but you could probably get away with using less. And a clip delete button could be helpful.

yellow

Post by yellow » Thu May 27, 2010 12:06 pm

I use my APC40 since 12 months almost exclusively for our LIVE PA.
I think it's a great tool for playing live.
But live in techno is another live as it is in rock n roll.

cheers
yellow

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Thu May 27, 2010 10:32 pm

shinobi wrote:It was advertized as a control surface and not having to use the mouse anymore when using the APC 40 but that's not the truth. I found that out just after I bought it. What's your oppinion on that??
Love to see where the advert said that?

Cheers
D

B-S

Post by B-S » Fri May 28, 2010 1:06 pm

Akai APC40 Editor for storing nad twidling presets would be veeery nice.