Drum Rack - separate outs, is this possible?????

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
random1

Drum Rack - separate outs, is this possible?????

Post by random1 » Sun May 02, 2010 12:49 pm

Pretty much what the subject line says..

Is there any way to send samples from Drum Rack to individual outputs of my RME soundcard??

I like the functionality of working in Drum Rack, but what if I want to send multiple channels out of the box to mix through my external mixer?? I've got no choice but to bounce each indiviual track, set it up on new chanels before I can send out. So much messing around.

Am I missing something?

Thanks

UKRuss

Re: Drum Rack - separate outs, is this possible?????

Post by UKRuss » Sun May 02, 2010 12:53 pm

Open up the rack in session view, right click and 'extract chain' for the items you want to individualise. Then route as required in the new tracks.

random1

Post by random1 » Sun May 02, 2010 1:07 pm

UKRuss wrote:Open up the rack in session view, right click and 'extract chain' for the items you want to individualise. Then route as required in the new tracks.

Ahh.. thanks for that!

I still think being able to send from inside Drum Rack would be more logical, but this works.
Damn I've been recording single tracks for about 2hrs.. really should have asked this months ago when I first got stuck.
Cheers

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Sun May 02, 2010 1:20 pm

random1 wrote: I still think being able to send from inside Drum Rack would be more logical
Cheers
+1, it really should be. I thought it was possible...
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Sun May 02, 2010 1:23 pm

Okay, I just checked something.

Insert an audio track, select the drum rack as input source. Then you can select each slot of the drum rack (pre/post/fx/fader), then route it to the correct output.

jhartford

Post by jhartford » Sun May 02, 2010 2:27 pm

chapelier fou wrote:Okay, I just checked something.

Insert an audio track, select the drum rack as input source. Then you can select each slot of the drum rack (pre/post/fx/fader), then route it to the correct output.
That works perfectly but it'll probably be more elegant to just put an External Audio effect on all the separare parts you want to send out (you can put them on tracks within the rack). Maybe its just me but I don't like to have any tracks i don't need....

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Sun May 02, 2010 2:45 pm

Never thought of that. In fact I never used an external effect plugin at all. I just tried, it seems to be perfect !

UKRuss

Post by UKRuss » Sun May 02, 2010 5:56 pm

The reason I like 'extract chain' is because It's far less fiddly to set up your own effects chains on each individual track plsu organise sends and routing than fiddling about inside drum racks. In fact recently, for drums, I've been reverting to Impulse on separate tracks per drum.

jhartford

Post by jhartford » Sun May 02, 2010 9:09 pm

ShelLuser wrote:Actually, an external audio effect on all chains makes no sense.

Just create a new return with the rack and then use send/returns. This way you can even mix your work within the drum rack itself.

If you already have a drum rack with one or more chains in it simply click on the 'show chain list', then click the 'return' icon ('R') at the lower left side of the rack. NOW simply drop earlier mentioned audio effect into the new return section of your rack.

After you've done that simply hit 'sends' ('S' at the same place) and then you can set the effect on a per-chain basis, even deciding how much output each chain should use.

If you need even more control check out the drumrack's i/o section.

There's a good YouTube video tutorial about this from 'AbletonInc'.

Hope this helps.

Edit: Overlooked the individual parts. Well, the same can still apply; one audio effect return per output channel. Then you can still setup how much output you want on a per-chain basis and you can setup the whole routing scheme all from within the rack.
He wants to mix out the box so the advantages of using sends internally are lost which is why i suggested external effects so you get the full signal pre-fader going to your mixer. But yeah, if you want to mix in the box drum rack sends are useful.

Kevluckhurst

Post by Kevluckhurst » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:47 am

UKRuss wrote:Open up the rack in session view, right click and 'extract chain' for the items you want to individualise. Then route as required in the new tracks.
brilliant tip thanks!

creating a surround sound arpeggio project and this is how im going to create it :)