Ableton output is low compared to other DAW's

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Contra

Ableton output is low compared to other DAW's

Post by Contra » Wed May 05, 2010 1:34 am

I've been using ableton for 4 years now, and even with a nice limiter/exciter/etc the output i get making a track in Live (when played back in various systems) is not loud compared to the output in Pro Tools/Logic. I know I'm not crazy but that ush bugs the hell out of me when i hear mixes from a Motif, etc into Pro Tools (no limiter on master fader) is much louder than my processed Ableton Track. The HD space I waste bouncing the ableton songs and making them louder in Logic is annoying and time consuming.

I already searched the forums so please help me out if possible since I found no solution.

-Sha'ul 8)

tlennon

Re: Ableton output is low compared to other DAW's

Post by tlennon » Wed May 05, 2010 1:39 am

Prepare to be debated. :mrgreen:
Terrence Lennon

Contra

Post by Contra » Wed May 05, 2010 1:44 am

im not looking so much for a debate, as im lookin more for a solution. if someone can help me out (no it isnt output settings blah blah. cuz its loud as hell in Logic/Protools but not ableton unless the master is high up in the red but then it distorts)

help me love Live that much more since it's my main beast to begin with.

funky shit

Post by funky shit » Wed May 05, 2010 2:03 am

hmmmm..

i slam the shit out of my tracks, and still are a bit lower compared to other ones.

3phase

Post by 3phase » Wed May 05, 2010 2:04 am

that sounds like a bug. what soundcard are you using?
mac book 2,16 ghz 4(3)gb ram, Os 10.62, fireface 400,

Contra

Post by Contra » Wed May 05, 2010 2:05 am

funky shit wrote:hmmmm..

i slam the shit out of my tracks, and still are a bit lower compared to other ones.

so your having the same issue then?

Contra

Post by Contra » Wed May 05, 2010 2:09 am

3phase wrote:that sounds like a bug. what soundcard are you using?
apogee duet

funky shit

Post by funky shit » Wed May 05, 2010 2:11 am

i always thought it was just because other tracks were professionaly mastered.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Wed May 05, 2010 2:17 am

Contra wrote:im not looking so much for a debate, as im lookin more for a solution. if someone can help me out (no it isnt output settings blah blah. cuz its loud as hell in Logic/Protools but not ableton unless the master is high up in the red but then it distorts)

simple, clip view - bump up the clip volume.

sometimes I'll screw myself by leaving fader assignments and hiding the fader assign buttons. then I bump the APC40's x-fader and the tracks' volume is low and I don't see it.

Abes - is there some 'law' when Live imports files that it makes some sort of decision when importing files?
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

Contra

Post by Contra » Wed May 05, 2010 2:24 am

funky shit wrote:i always thought it was just because other tracks were professionaly mastered.
im talking about my own un mastered tracks, or for instance a track my cousin just remixed. All the music done in the Fantom G8, recorded into Logic, his "un mixed" track is much louder than my remix (for the same project) done in ableton with the mixing nearly complete with FX done to the master fader to help boost the loudness. still isn't quite the same.

Contra

Post by Contra » Wed May 05, 2010 2:24 am

Tone Deft wrote:
Contra wrote:im not looking so much for a debate, as im lookin more for a solution. if someone can help me out (no it isnt output settings blah blah. cuz its loud as hell in Logic/Protools but not ableton unless the master is high up in the red but then it distorts)

simple, clip view - bump up the clip volume.

sometimes I'll screw myself by leaving fader assignments and hiding the fader assign buttons. then I bump the APC40's x-fader and the tracks' volume is low and I don't see it.

Abes - is there some 'law' when Live imports files that it makes some sort of decision when importing files?

ill look into that, but im doing alot of midi work and not much with actual audio clips.

3phase

Post by 3phase » Wed May 05, 2010 2:40 am

what is this big shaul sticker trys to tell us... and why is it sooo huge... does that indicate some freudian problems?

and regarding the cousin track..is it maybe louder because he has clipped the file baddly?
an old hip hop trick.. just clip the output baddly and everything will be very loud..

maybe you should leave the loud making to the mastering engineer
mac book 2,16 ghz 4(3)gb ram, Os 10.62, fireface 400,

Contra

Post by Contra » Wed May 05, 2010 2:50 am

LOLOL yes the big sticker of mind control

nope cousin's file isn't clipping.

and i can't afford a mastering engineer at this point in the game. i guess ill just bounce down a stereo trk and mess wit the final output on that for my "ghetto mastering"

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Wed May 05, 2010 4:11 am

The most helpful thing I can think of is to send a support request with all the details because it shouldn't be any less loud unless some type of setting or rule within Live is making it so. I have not noticed any difference in gain when exporting a file from Live, Cubase, Logic or Reaper. support@ableton.com

With Protools it's probably interface related because you can't be using the Apogee Duet, you need an approved Digi or M-Audio interface and the fact that Protools HD (not LE or M-Powered which have a 32 bit float engine), PTHD has a 48 bit fixed point system. Should only be a miniscule difference in most cases though.

Maybe Nico, Dom, Amaury, Dennis or Robert H. might step in with an explanation for you ...
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

Contra

Post by Contra » Wed May 05, 2010 4:40 am

leedsquietman wrote:The most helpful thing I can think of is to send a support request with all the details because it shouldn't be any less loud unless some type of setting or rule within Live is making it so. I have not noticed any difference in gain when exporting a file from Live, Cubase, Logic or Reaper. support@ableton.com

With Protools it's probably interface related because you can't be using the Apogee Duet, you need an approved Digi or M-Audio interface and the fact that Protools HD (not LE or M-Powered which have a 32 bit float engine), PTHD has a 48 bit fixed point system. Should only be a miniscule difference in most cases though.

Maybe Nico, Dom, Amaury, Dennis or Robert H. might step in with an explanation for you ...

it may just be that, i find myself hearing the mixes of some of the other ableton heads (not sure if mastered) but their mixes do sound loud as i'd like them. im just gonna mess around with the mix more and also send a letter to the abes to see if they can help me out.

thanks for the help everyone.