Switching MIDI channels with controller?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
beats me

Switching MIDI channels with controller?

Post by beats me » Thu May 06, 2010 5:21 pm

I know I'm probably missing something obvious and naturally I'm not home and am not in front of my setup which would be helpful, but recently I bought an NI sample library and when loaded in Kontakt it opens up a bunch of instruments each assigned to a different MIDI channel. I'm using an Oxygen61 (I think) keyboard and despite all the buttons I don't see anything for switching MIDI channels. It's ultra annoying mousing around in either Kontakt or Live to use a drop down menu to change the MIDI channel.

What's the solution here?

And it's quite shocking that it's been 3 years since I switched to all software and I haven't run up against this issue until now.

Dexes

Re: Switching MIDI channels with controller?

Post by Dexes » Thu May 06, 2010 5:57 pm

I've recently got a new harddrive, did a clean install and havn't yet got round to installing kontakt. But with battery 3, if I have an empty midi track and select it to send midi to the track with battery on it, the bottom dropdown menu has 16 options called "1-Battery 3" "2-Battery 3" etc. which I expect routes the midi to the 16 different midi channels.

My Best guess would be to create 16 empty midi tracks sending to kontakt on the 16 channels and then just use the controler to arm the track you need.

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu May 06, 2010 6:05 pm

Dexes wrote:I've recently got a new harddrive, did a clean install and havn't yet got round to installing kontakt. But with battery 3, if I have an empty midi track and select it to send midi to the track with battery on it, the bottom dropdown menu has 16 options called "1-Battery 3" "2-Battery 3" etc. which I expect routes the midi to the 16 different midi channels.

My Best guess would be to create 16 empty midi tracks sending to kontakt on the 16 channels and then just use the controler to arm the track you need.
That's one solution but still a little too labor and setup intensive. What I'm looking to do is just flip through sounds with a button or two similar to how you'd switch presets on a hardware synth, but in this case the presets are tied to MIDI channels and not preset numbers.

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu May 06, 2010 10:51 pm

Yay, I stumped General.

Dexes

Post by Dexes » Thu May 06, 2010 11:43 pm

Oxygen 61 Manual wrote:Global Channel
The Global Channel function changes the MIDI channel assigned to the keyboard. Your Oxygen controller will transmit on any of the standard 16 MIDI channels. The Global MIDI Channel will affect the channel on which program changes, bank changes, and any controllers set to respond to the global channel will transmit.
To set the Global Channel:
1. Press the Advanced Function button
2. Press the Global Channel key.
3 Enter the MIDI channel number on the key bed.
4 Press the Enter key.
When engaging the Global Channel function, the LED screen will display the “c” symbol, and the last selected channel.

Note that it is also possible to set the Data keys to control the Global Channel. To do this:
1. Press the Select Function button until the dot above Glob Chan is lit.
2. Use the - and + Data buttons to decrement/increment the Global Channel.

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri May 07, 2010 1:23 am

Dexes wrote:
Oxygen 61 Manual wrote:Global Channel
The Global Channel function changes the MIDI channel assigned to the keyboard. Your Oxygen controller will transmit on any of the standard 16 MIDI channels. The Global MIDI Channel will affect the channel on which program changes, bank changes, and any controllers set to respond to the global channel will transmit.
To set the Global Channel:
1. Press the Advanced Function button
2. Press the Global Channel key.
3 Enter the MIDI channel number on the key bed.
4 Press the Enter key.
When engaging the Global Channel function, the LED screen will display the “c” symbol, and the last selected channel.

Note that it is also possible to set the Data keys to control the Global Channel. To do this:
1. Press the Select Function button until the dot above Glob Chan is lit.
2. Use the - and + Data buttons to decrement/increment the Global Channel.
Awesome. Thanks man!

But here's some irony. I've used the keyboard for little more than that, just banging away on keys up to now. I go to turn it on to try what you just shared and it's dead. :x

But I've had it for a little over a year so that's pretty good by m-audio standards.

shimmy

Post by shimmy » Fri May 07, 2010 1:49 am

see next page
Last edited by shimmy on Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:52 am, edited 2 times in total.

delicioso

Post by delicioso » Fri May 07, 2010 2:02 am

You could make a rack with External Instrument device on each chain and then midi map the chain selector to buttons (same cc, different values).