MIDI and OSC options on iOS

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
delicioso

MIDI and OSC options on iOS

Post by delicioso » Tue May 04, 2010 8:31 pm

WIFI/Bonjour
I think most people are going to be using apps that utilize wireless MIDI using Bonjour. It's working reliably without any latency issue for me on TouchOSC.

What's really intriguing is information coming out about midiPAD which is currently in beta:
http://www.midipad.de/Website/midipad.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jg9fxPpHEMs
"This multitouch-capable midi-controller-application communicates with your Apple Mac your Windows-based PC and even standalone hardware-synths via Wifi."
I'm not sure how they got wifi MIDI sync working with standalone hardware but that sounds very promising.

USB MIDI
For those who must have a USB MIDI interface for iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch, the one to look for seems to be iConnectMIDI:
iConnectMIDI: USB MIDI interface for iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch
Here's what their developers said a few months ago:
"Hi - I'm Steve and i work for iConnectivity.

Thanks for posting about our new product. We're pretty excited about it and are looking forward to making it available to the public in the near future. I wanted to make a few clarifications about the product.

Firstly, the pictures from our website are of the prototype. The final product will be somewhat different:
- black, not silver
- no RJ50 connector, replaced with USB
- array of LED indicators, (rectangle LEDs, not round)

The RJ50 (looks like an ethernet) was our original solution to connect to the iPhone. But we have since changed that to USB. So the final product will have 2x2 MIDI, 2xUSB (iPhone and USB MIDI device), miniUSB for PC/Mac connectivity, and a power outlet. It will have LED indicators for each port, plus one to demonstrate power and one for error.

It will not work as generic USB-iPhone connector. It only carries MIDI between the two. One USB port is for USB-enabled MIDI devices, the other is for the iPhone (it doesn't matter which one you use for which). Alternatively, you could plug in two iPhones, or two PC/Macs.

The device will work with an iPhone connected, with a PC/Mac connected, with both connected, or with neither connected. This means you can use a USB-enabled MIDI device in the MIDI chain without the use of a computer. Generally, we have tried to offer the most range of functionality.

It will work with an iPhone, an iPod Touch or an iPad. Once we have the demo versions finalized, we will be shooting some video of the product in use.

Keep in mind that depending on the app, the iPhone can be either the controller, or the sequencer in the system. We are developing some apps, but we will also be opening up the development to anybody else who wishes to develop and app for it. Our SDK will be available within 30-60 days.

We expect to have final product available in May. We may open up for pre-ordering, but haven't figured out the details yet. Thanks for your interest, and feel free to post up here or contact me if you have any questions."
http://www.gearslutz.com/board/5078005-post9.html
Last edited by delicioso on Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:35 pm, edited 4 times in total.

LoopStationZebra

Re: MIDI options on iPad

Post by LoopStationZebra » Tue May 04, 2010 9:33 pm

At this point, besides the keyboard portion, is there really much difference between Midipad and LiveControl? Besides a pricetag, I mean? :lol:
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

delicioso

Post by delicioso » Tue May 04, 2010 9:49 pm

LoopStationZebra wrote:At this point, besides the keyboard portion, is there really much difference between Midipad and LiveControl? Besides a pricetag, I mean? :lol:
I haven't seen anything on midiPAD that gives visual feedback of track/clip/device/parameter names. LiveControl also has the Reset to Defaults feature of Launchpad as well as a very useful Beatmaker-esque step sequencer for Live.

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Tue May 04, 2010 9:56 pm

delicioso wrote:
LoopStationZebra wrote:At this point, besides the keyboard portion, is there really much difference between Midipad and LiveControl? Besides a pricetag, I mean? :lol:
I haven't seen anything on midiPAD that gives visual feedback of track/clip/device/parameter names. LiveControl also has the Reset to Defaults feature of Launchpad as well as a very useful Beatmaker-esque step sequencer for Live.

Hmm. The latest pics of the midipad show clip names, and device names. We'll see if it's true feedback.

I'm curious about that keyboard in midipad. If it's truly low latency, then a drumpad wouldn't be out of the question - something quite lacking in either app so far.

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Tue May 04, 2010 10:04 pm

Oh, and it's hilarious that midipad's website requires Flash to view the embedded YouTube vids. :P

delicioso

Post by delicioso » Tue May 04, 2010 10:19 pm

LoopStationZebra wrote:Oh, and it's hilarious that midipad's website requires Flash to view the embedded YouTube vids. :P
Not for long as Flash keeps getting phased out. Using Flashblock on Firefox is awesome. No annoying flash ads and videos loading in the background to risk the browser going sluggish or freezing. If there's a flash video, I can choose to click on it to let it load.

delicioso

Post by delicioso » Fri May 07, 2010 3:43 am

Controlling hardware synths wirelessly via OSC with the Pianist Pro app:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5P3G7em4JI

delicioso

Post by delicioso » Mon May 10, 2010 1:51 am

From Audio Damage:
"Just for the record, I've plugged in a class compliant 1x1 MIDI interface, and the lights came on and the iPad didn't throw an error. This leads me to believe that CoreMIDI can be accessed in the iPad. I'm going to give it a whirl here in a bit and see if I can't get MIDI to talk to Dronestation. I'll let you know how it goes."

From my research, it appears that CoreMIDI is not yet available as an API in the current version of iPhone OS. This will hopefully be available in the upcoming OS 4.

delicioso

Post by delicioso » Wed May 12, 2010 11:35 pm

Line 6 MIDI Mobilizer info:
“Can I use MIDI Mobilizer to control synthesizer applications or play other music apps on my iPhone?"

"This is technically possible, but would require software updates to each application in order to communicate with MIDI Mobilizer. Additionally, the developer of the application would need to become a Line 6 MIDI Mobilizer developer in order to be given the development tools, and allow Line 6 to publish their MIDI Mobilizer-enabled version (currently, all applications for a hardware accessory must come from the same publisher)….”

Info from five12:
"There's 3 ways to accomplish MIDI with an iPhone, iPod Touch and the iPad.

First is the Line6 device, which you need to become a developer, sign 2 documents and have a another document with the app you wish to write. (I'm still waiting for my acceptence)

Second, you can read/write MIDI thru RTP MIDI which Apple implemented with thier MIDI Network Driver.
(http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~lazzaro/rtpmidi/)

Third way, which I've seen several iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad apps doing is, writing a server based application that the iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad applications talk to with MIDI data."

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Thu May 13, 2010 12:30 am

What's confusing about some of this stuff is that apps from the iPhone CAN send MIDI right now. Again, the iTM app (which now appears to be an abandoned project) could send MIDI CC messages. Unfortunately you had no control over what CCs were sent, but still....it could be done.

"Third way, which I've seen several iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad apps doing is, writing a server based application that the iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad applications talk to with MIDI data."

Which brings me back to the LiveControl app. Why is there latency in that app, and pretty much none with iTM?

delicioso

Post by delicioso » Thu May 13, 2010 12:36 am

LoopStationZebra wrote:What's confusing about some of this stuff is that apps from the iPhone CAN send MIDI right now. Again, the iTM app (which now appears to be an abandoned project) could send MIDI CC messages. Unfortunately you had no control over what CCs were sent, but still....it could be done.

"Third way, which I've seen several iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad apps doing is, writing a server based application that the iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad applications talk to with MIDI data."

Which brings me back to the LiveControl app. Why is there latency in that app, and pretty much none with iTM?
I don't experience any noticeable latency in LiveControl.

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Thu May 13, 2010 1:16 am

delicioso wrote:
LoopStationZebra wrote:What's confusing about some of this stuff is that apps from the iPhone CAN send MIDI right now. Again, the iTM app (which now appears to be an abandoned project) could send MIDI CC messages. Unfortunately you had no control over what CCs were sent, but still....it could be done.

I don't experience any noticeable latency in LiveControl.

Hmm. ST8 was basically saying that he won't be able to add a drumpad or keys setup to the app because of inherent latency. 8O

delicioso

Post by delicioso » Thu May 13, 2010 1:26 am

LoopStationZebra wrote:Hmm. ST8 was basically saying that he won't be able to add a drumpad or keys setup to the app because of inherent latency. 8O
Yeah, sounds like ST8 has higher standards for response times when it comes to drumpads or keys, when used with midi remote scripts. But for the stuff that LiveControl does do like clip launching, mixing, step sequencing...etc. I don't notice any latency.

delicioso

Post by delicioso » Tue May 18, 2010 7:16 am

The iPad and iPhone/iPod Touch can now be used as a hardware midi controller using the Line 6 MIDI Mobilizer and the MIDI Surface app developed by Audiofile Engineering:
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/midi-sur ... 75395?mt=8
Image Image
Image Image
Line 6 has introduced a new $5.99 app, MIDI Surface, that lets you turn your iPad, iPhone, or iPod touch into a hardware MIDI control surface. MIDI Surface works with the Line 6 MIDI Mobilizer.

Control Surfaces:

Keyboard

* Channel
* Velocity

Sliders

* Channel
* Controller (Mod Wheel, Channel Volume, Expression, etc.)
* Low Value
* High Value

Drum Pads

* Channel
* Category (Note On, Controller, Program Change)
* Note
* Note Off (Immediate, Touch Up)
* Velocity

X-Y Control

* Supports up to 4 touches
* Channel
* Controller
* Left Value
* Right Value

Each interface can be configured with detail and you can save Presets for quick recall.

ST8

Post by ST8 » Tue May 18, 2010 8:21 am

Its the way that the osc data is parsed. All incoming osc is parsed in a function that is only called every 100ms (this is a limititation of the midi remote scripts). 100ms is a lot if your trying to drum. I am yet to find a way around this, you can fork new threads but they are still limited to ~60ms.

The easiest way round this is to route OSC -> MIDI via osculator or something, then just use the incoming midi in Live.

For LiveControl i wanted to keep the chain of programs as small as possible so all osc is parsed within live.