singer/songwriters here?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
estevan carlos benson

singer/songwriters here?

Post by estevan carlos benson » Wed May 12, 2010 5:01 pm

Any singer/songwriters using Ableton here? I'm guessing the answer's yes. Well, I come from a non-singer/songwriter background. I've mostly just recorded and written music. However I've struggled to find my voice, more or less, and create stronger songs. I'm curious if anyone can recommend books, articles, tips, etc on how to become a better singer/songwriter. Or maybe that's just one of those things that can't be answered.
Live 9 Suite | M4L | MacBook Pro Quadcore 16gb ram | APC40
estevancarlos.com | The Handsomest Drowned Man

jonathan harker

Re: singer/songwriters here?

Post by jonathan harker » Wed May 12, 2010 6:50 pm

i don´t know, i´ve always just done it and collected experience over time and got better. but this could be helpful: http://www.secretsofsongwriting.com/

Benshik

Post by Benshik » Wed May 12, 2010 7:05 pm

i started a couple of years ago with the assumption i'd make electronic music. it turned out i quickly got into "old school" song structures, with lyrics, verses, chorus and stuff. we all heard so much pop/rock/whatever music, we all have it in us. you dont need prior knowledge... the best tip i could give is not try to fit into a classic singer/songwriter formula. starting out as a producer is a strenght, its fresh, it sound cliche but id suggest do as you feel and trust your instinct.
Macbook 2.2ghz, OS 10.5.2, Focusrite Saffire, Microkontrol, Lemur

gjm

Post by gjm » Wed May 12, 2010 7:33 pm

Benshik wrote:... it sound cliche but id suggest do as you feel and trust your instinct.
+1. Also, ignore your inner critic. Liking your results has nothing to do with what others think of your creations.
iMac - 10.10.3 - Live 9 Suite - APC40 - Axiom 61 - TX81z - Firestudio Mobile - Focal Alpha 80's - Godin Session - Home made foot controller

tlennon

Post by tlennon » Wed May 12, 2010 8:32 pm

gjm wrote:+1. Also, ignore your inner critic. Liking your results has nothing to do with what others think of your creations.
I couldn't have said it better.
Terrence Lennon