drifting tempo's

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
HeadrickProductions

drifting tempo's

Post by HeadrickProductions » Sat May 08, 2010 9:03 pm

Have not used live in a while so I loaded her up and played today. I was using three different groovebox ensemble's from reaktor 5 and a vocal track. Things sounded great ran like clock work for something like an hour while I was configuring stuff on the fly via the apc 40. Then all of a sudden things started to go out of synth. Nothing had been adjusted that should have caused this. No length of loops, tempo, tune, pitch , or anything like this within any of the reaktor instances.

....did not seem that it warranted a snap shot.

Also is it ableton or NI who decided what things are configurable within the VST's. I wish we could configure the run button of the massive 1.2 groove box and still want the tempo within kontakt 4 to be configurable.
In a K induced Haze (the old K kind not the special K kind ), but an Asian spizz can sometimes bring me out! If ya don't get it, ya never will.

Swing like your life depends on it

turok2step

Re: drifting tempo's

Post by turok2step » Sun May 09, 2010 4:03 am

have to make sure those gooveboxes are set to external tempo rather than their own. not sure how to make reaktor knobs configurable though, you definitely do it in reaktor
:D

HeadrickProductions

Post by HeadrickProductions » Sun May 09, 2010 7:18 pm

I am using reaktor within live 8. It was in time and then It seemed that it slipped out of time. Now the groove boxes could have been ever so lightly out of time and it was not easy to hear until lots of time elapsed.

I just started really getting into reaktor and love the groove boxes. I am going to try something today where I start the groove boxes before I go out and hike for a few hours and see if everything is still in time when I get back. Do you have any other groove box recommendations in the reaktor library, or anything else that I should download. I love reaktor, it's goin take a bit to get a good base of understanding but I'm always down for a challenge.

Thanks for getting back to me.
In a K induced Haze (the old K kind not the special K kind ), but an Asian spizz can sometimes bring me out! If ya don't get it, ya never will.

ckluxen

Post by ckluxen » Thu May 13, 2010 12:00 pm

turned on latency compensation?

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Thu May 13, 2010 4:57 pm

latency comp is always on in Live..

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Thu May 13, 2010 5:30 pm

MIDI drifting is quite a common occurrence on any DAW after a certain period of time ...

Quite often just saving your project, closing and then re-opening a DAW solves this issue.
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Thu May 13, 2010 5:44 pm

^^^ true for syncing outboard.. but not for plugins..

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Thu May 13, 2010 5:47 pm

if it happens it's cuz you maybe inserted plugins or devices while playing.. causes the PDC to get errors sometimes.. which will cause the drift..
hitting stop and then play will re-sync all...
once you have your set built (not needing to 'add' anything else.. ) then it shouldn't happen..
if it still does.. then it's a bug

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Thu May 13, 2010 6:55 pm

actually yes, I got confused and was thinking of outboard ... thanks !
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

HeadrickProductions

Post by HeadrickProductions » Thu May 13, 2010 8:04 pm

3dot... wrote:if it happens it's cuz you maybe inserted plugins or devices while playing.. causes the PDC to get errors sometimes.. which will cause the drift..
hitting stop and then play will re-sync all...
once you have your set built (not needing to 'add' anything else.. ) then it shouldn't happen..
if it still does.. then it's a bug
I'm had already had all the groove boxes and transformers already placed within live. I do understand that by placing them in on the fly that they would start at different points. Everything was in time, then I got distracted and came back an hour later and things were out of time.

Easy solution would be to dump audio into one track, have a looper on the track and just record. Then I could same cpu and just delete the vst's.

thanks for the help, I think there is just an issue over a long period of time where midi clips go out of time. Since most people would not do this it is not looked after well. Once again I have not had a chance to look into it more cause I've been busy. I'll get back to you later

Thanks for the advice

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Thu May 13, 2010 11:26 pm

... not talking about inserting the grooveboxes themselves.. but actually dropping in any vst/device...which has a latency of it's own.. (compressors come to mind..)