APC40 - Step Sequencer, Note Mode, 2nd Device Control, etc.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Hanz_Petrov

APC40 - Step Sequencer, Note Mode, 2nd Device Control, etc.

Post by Hanz_Petrov » Fri May 14, 2010 5:18 am

Hey all,

For anyone interested, there's a how-to write up on merging the APC20 and APC40 Python scripts, here:
http://remotescripts.blogspot.com/

The end result is Note Mode for the APC40 (plus re-assignable sliders and a few other mods).

Best,

Hanz

Edit: The custom APC40 scripts now include Step Sequencer Mode, Note Mode, 2nd Device Control, EQ Mode, User Modes, etc. Available on the Support Files page at my blog.
Last edited by Hanz_Petrov on Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
http://remotescripts.blogspot.com/ - an introduction to the Framework classes

concrete_cow

Re: Note Mode for the APC40 - Python Scripts

Post by concrete_cow » Fri May 14, 2010 8:08 am

Hanz_Petrov wrote:Hey all,

For anyone interested, there's a how-to write up on merging the APC20 and APC40 Python scripts, here:
http://remotescripts.blogspot.com/

The end result is Note Mode for the APC40 (plus re-assignable sliders and a few other mods).

Best,

Hanz
God bless you for keeping the APC40 alive and kicking! I'll be using the note map funtion at our gig tonight to control a drum-rack :)

Starting to think that getting max for live may be overkill for most control purposes

Cheers

33tetragammon

Post by 33tetragammon » Fri May 14, 2010 10:29 am

many thanks for this Hanz!

i'm going to try it out later(have to go to work first)

best,

Wasili
Last edited by 33tetragammon on Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

maze23a

Post by maze23a » Fri May 14, 2010 11:01 am

Will this one work,when i alrady use Nativkontrol's APC Preset?
Will i hace conflicts when i use it?

HeadrickProductions

Post by HeadrickProductions » Fri May 14, 2010 11:20 am

you just made it worth it for me to be at the ass crack of dawn.....many thanks for all your hard work

Edit: works like a dream so far in 8.1.3

thank so once again for saving me so money...You should put up a donate button on your blog

now if the next apc pads would be touch sensitive I would need only one controller

Your then man
In a K induced Haze (the old K kind not the special K kind ), but an Asian spizz can sometimes bring me out! If ya don't get it, ya never will.

Swing like your life depends on it

Tympanic

Post by Tympanic » Fri May 14, 2010 12:03 pm

is there anyone in here who has an idea how one can toggle the shift button.
That way one could easily and fast step through banks without having to press
shift all the time, which is - in my workflow - quite annoying....

that would be perfect :-)

cheers

Daniel
I used to be with it, but then they changed what "it" was. Now, what I'm with isn't it, and what's "it" seems weird and scary to me.

>v< - that´s the question today

...the work of production is reduction...

some music

concrete_cow

Post by concrete_cow » Fri May 14, 2010 12:35 pm

Can someone please elaborate on how you switch modes? I'm a little concerned that the APC20 method (click master) will screw up my existing mappings... i'm hoping to be able to switch to notes mode via shift+master, so as not to affect my existiing workflow...

Any clarification appreciated as i'm still at work ! :)

carrieres

Post by carrieres » Fri May 14, 2010 1:28 pm

thanks a lot, this is awesome !
Yamaha CS-30, Roland SH-1 and MKS70, Focusrite Scarlett 18i6, Yamaha FS1R, Oberheim Matrix 1000, Novation Remote 37SL, Alesis M1Active 520, Novation Launchpad PRO
Intel i7-7700HQ, Windows 10, Ableton Live 10 Suite
http://soundcloud.com/ccarrieres

Slightlydelic

Post by Slightlydelic » Fri May 14, 2010 1:50 pm

can someone clew me in on what i need to do to use this?

no problem got it working now.
Last edited by Slightlydelic on Fri May 14, 2010 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dna598

Post by dna598 » Fri May 14, 2010 1:52 pm

WOW!!!!

thanks so much.

Note mode for apc40 is long overdue, but am i correct in thinking this isnt even the work of ableton? Wow, where are they?

Slightly dissapointed it doesnt move around the whole drum rack note range like the padkontrol does, but hey, its better than NOTHING!

thanks again!

ps. any way of getting it to do that? perhaps scene buttons could be mapped to move up and down the note range?
ctrl + left/right = select transient

ctrl + shift + left/right = select between transients

ctrl + space = play selection

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Fri May 14, 2010 6:39 pm

dna598 wrote:WOW!!!!

thanks so much.

Note mode for apc40 is long overdue, but am i correct in thinking this isnt even the work of ableton? Wow, where are they?

Slightly dissapointed it doesnt move around the whole drum rack note range like the padkontrol does, but hey, its better than NOTHING!

thanks again!

ps. any way of getting it to do that? perhaps scene buttons could be mapped to move up and down the note range?
How do you get the padkontrol to move up and down the note range? I can't control which samples are in view without clicking on the box....

Cheers
D

ps sorry for going OT Awesome work again Hanz!!

Markemark

Post by Markemark » Fri May 14, 2010 7:17 pm

Hey Hanz, love the checker board note mode, but instead of those lights could we have led midi feedback like on the launchpad? There hack(video below) doesn't seem to work. And I did try sending the midi to channel 10, no luck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jkvq_6Jg6UU

HeadrickProductions

Post by HeadrickProductions » Fri May 14, 2010 9:09 pm

I have a question. Is they way you in which you implemented note mode for the apc 40 anymore stable than working with things like boome's or M4L. It would seem so pending that the python code was good (and yours sure seems to be).

Once again offering this for free is a great contribution to the community.

Would like to echo that if you ever feel the need to tweak this it would be unreal if we could scroll up and down within drum rack mode, or while playing a vst it would be great to be able play the full range.

Either way thanks
In a K induced Haze (the old K kind not the special K kind ), but an Asian spizz can sometimes bring me out! If ya don't get it, ya never will.

Swing like your life depends on it

dna598

Post by dna598 » Fri May 14, 2010 11:50 pm

S4racen wrote:
How do you get the padkontrol to move up and down the note range? I can't control which samples are in view without clicking on the box....
That box is what im talking about, yes.I was comparing the PK because it gives you the full range (by clicking that box). My suggestion for APC40 was for a coupla scene buttons shift the grid range up and down, regardless of the box, while in note mode.
ctrl + left/right = select transient

ctrl + shift + left/right = select between transients

ctrl + space = play selection

Hanz_Petrov

Post by Hanz_Petrov » Sat May 15, 2010 2:42 am

Thanks for the positive feedback guys.

PadKontrol-style control over drum racks is not hard to do - in fact, the LiveAPI provides a method designed specifically for this (known as pad_translation). The problem is that the LiveAPI limits the pad translation grid size to 4 x 4 (or 16 notes max). There also doesn't seem to be a way to map the note range selection box to MIDI (it takes a mouse click).

One work-around is to insert a MIDI pitch effect before the drum rack, and map the transpose amount to a control. This should work equally well for pad translations or for the entire Note Mode grid. On the other hand, modifying the script to use the scene launch buttons for transposing is not a bad idea. I had also considered using the Clip Stop buttons to set note velocity (8 increments across the bottom of the grid), but didn't get around to coding it.

@Markemark: Thanks for the link; LED feedback for the grid is an interesting idea.

@HeadrickProductions: I can't speak for Bome's or M4L, but Python scripts are about as stable as it gets. I try to be rigorous in my testing, but if you do find any bugs, please let me know.

Best,

Hanz
http://remotescripts.blogspot.com/ - an introduction to the Framework classes