What style of music you make?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

What style of music you make?

Dance/House
20%
Pop/Alternative/Rock
11%
Trance/Techno/Hardcore
24%
HipHop/RnB
7%
DnB/Jungle/Ambient/Experimental
17%
Film Music/Religious/Orchestral/Classical
2%
Reggae/Ska
No votes
Folk/Ethnic/Country
2%
New Age/Garage/Industrial
2%
Breakbeat/Downtemp/IDM
15%

Total votes: 46

feeldamusic

Post by feeldamusic » Sun Apr 17, 2005 9:46 am

I agree, this poll has no logic :)
I think I should have created multiple threads and spread the poll among them.
Well, I just wanted to give it a try.

ishimaru

Post by ishimaru » Sun Apr 17, 2005 10:13 am

Former Pharaoh wrote:Now there's a mix...Trance/Techno/Hardcore.

Oakenfold vs. Vath vs. Ron D Core.

Also, shouldn't Ethnic be with New Age?
Or am I stereotyping?
Hardstyle comes to mind with that combo of all stars listed lol.

I make Electro/Techno with hints of Industrial/IDM/Italo/Newbeat/Minimal synth. So yea I am messed up. lol.
Every situation(1) should be confronted with its opposite(2) to come to a better situation(3).

1 Thesis
2 Antithesis
3 Synthesis

- Hegel

noisetonepause

Post by noisetonepause » Sun Apr 17, 2005 11:06 am

Former Pharaoh wrote:Also, shouldn't Ethnic be with New Age?
Or am I stereotyping?
Definetely...

New Age music, as I see it, is mainly those massproduced meditation or relaxation tapes that have little to do with actual music... or tedious samplings and watering down of supposedly 'original' and 'authentic' music and repackaging it as a musical wallpaper for stressed out yuppies to play in their car.

Ethnic/World music is just music that's not from the european/african-american tradition. So you get Indian classical music, traditional Pakistani Qawwalis (and Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan's (bless him) new, updated qawwali that's the 20th century version of an age old tradition), North African Gnawa, African drum styles that's as old as the wind, Tibetan chants, Chinese art music all the way from before Europe had invented banging rocks together up untill today, Mali proto-blues, the latest Mbalax tunes from Senegal and south east Asian bhangra, Bollywood music, Brazilian hiphop, etc etc etc all lumped together in one convenient shelf for musical tourists (like myself!) to pillage... it's Eurocentric as hell! I've seen the Pogues (Irish traditional punk, I suppose is the best way to describe it!) shelved next to a disc of dance/d'n'b remixes of Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan and a Best Of Angelique Kidjou (contemporary African pop - I forget where she's from exactly, South Africa?)... ARGH!!!

Sorry... you pushed a button there :)

-Paws

noisetonepause

Post by noisetonepause » Sun Apr 17, 2005 11:13 am

And Flamenco. I always forget Flamenco.

Flamenco is not the same as Mbalax!

Worldmusic.net make some good compilations BTW. I'm currently tripping over their collection of tunes from Cape Verde (sample) - it's beautiful.

geargasm

Post by geargasm » Sun Apr 17, 2005 2:15 pm

I make loops. Lots and lots of really cool loops.
I am the bumpitron.

Nick Maxwell

Post by Nick Maxwell » Sun Apr 17, 2005 3:29 pm

Ambient, Techno, and EBM/Synthpop :)

anonymouse

Post by anonymouse » Sun Apr 17, 2005 3:52 pm

If mankind had to sacrifice one of the categories listed, and completely delete it from our current and all future cultures - it would have to be trance/techno/hardcore.

It is just so naff, stale, dated, flat, uninspiring, simple and insulting to the eardrums.

Next of course would be glitch ...

Then R&B; Specifically Usher should be drowned in a bath of warm vomit.

saskrotch

Post by saskrotch » Sun Apr 17, 2005 8:34 pm

i'm more surprised at ambient and jungle in the same category

i make breakcore

Former Pharaoh

Post by Former Pharaoh » Mon Apr 18, 2005 12:13 am

noisetonepause wrote:
Former Pharaoh wrote:Also, shouldn't Ethnic be with New Age?
Or am I stereotyping?
Definetely...

New Age music, as I see it, is mainly those massproduced meditation or relaxation tapes that have little to do with actual music... or tedious samplings and watering down of supposedly 'original' and 'authentic' music and repackaging it as a musical wallpaper for stressed out yuppies to play in their car.

Ethnic/World music is just music that's not from the european/african-american tradition. So you get Indian classical music, traditional Pakistani Qawwalis (and Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan's (bless him) new, updated qawwali that's the 20th century version of an age old tradition), North African Gnawa, African drum styles that's as old as the wind, Tibetan chants, Chinese art music all the way from before Europe had invented banging rocks together up untill today, Mali proto-blues, the latest Mbalax tunes from Senegal and south east Asian bhangra, Bollywood music, Brazilian hiphop, etc etc etc all lumped together in one convenient shelf for musical tourists (like myself!) to pillage... it's Eurocentric as hell! I've seen the Pogues (Irish traditional punk, I suppose is the best way to describe it!) shelved next to a disc of dance/d'n'b remixes of Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan and a Best Of Angelique Kidjou (contemporary African pop - I forget where she's from exactly, South Africa?)... ARGH!!!

Sorry... you pushed a button there :)

-Paws
I thought of New World music when I saw New Age but it makes logical sense to affiliate the latter with "waterfalls" and "Frogs croaking".
By the way, no joke, i heard that when frogs croak, they open other dimensional worlds where most insects travel to. Just think how cool it would be to put a loud Croak in a dance song that opens up a dimension! People will think they are tripping!

colin_h

Post by colin_h » Mon Apr 18, 2005 1:13 am

as a serious minimal techno artist, i explore that dimly-lit
intersection of postretrogabberfolk, pseudogigglecorespongebreak,
ambimetalhopbass and neodrillcorejungletrance...
:P
..-

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Mon Apr 18, 2005 1:19 am

RE: frogs croaking open up a dimensional portal for insects?!?
I think that insect dimension they open is called 'frog belly' ;)

RE: bizare categorization of music poll ...
I make a wider range of music than the poll seems to allow.
It's a shame PHPbb polls dont allow weighted voting (choose 1,2,3rd choice etc ) it would work better

I've been doing songs ranging from breakbeaty to lounge to glitch to fake-celtic IDM to Dub to ... all sorts of stuff. I'm doing some psi-trance jam with a cellist in the next couple of weeks. She wants me to take loops in on the fly and fuck with them in a psy trance style, I'm not sure how that works, it'll be different thats for sure! :)
Like colin_h's post ...
Its fun to bill yourself as some made up new genre and see if it catches on. Harddub, trancestep , tripplecore, snoozebeat , ambient hiphop, sleazebeat, etc.

feeldamusic

Post by feeldamusic » Mon Apr 18, 2005 1:54 am

Yeah baby!!! Trance, Techno, Hardcore is winning. I knew it would.

AdamJay

Post by AdamJay » Mon Apr 18, 2005 2:19 am

feeldamusic wrote:Yeah baby!!! Trance, Techno, Hardcore is winning. I knew it would.
well, when you lump 3 different subgenre's into 1 , its bound to happen. :roll:

djyoz

Post by djyoz » Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:58 pm

HARDSTYLE!!! :lol:
HARDSTYLE LIVE!!!!

Shoma

Post by Shoma » Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:05 pm

Ill house you