Controller for Live

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
ramangill

Controller for Live

Post by ramangill » Mon May 17, 2010 6:21 pm

I have a M-AUDIO Axiom Pro49 and it claims to be a controll above all the rest...well it is not and it is not user friendly. Its Hypercontrol sucks cause I have tried several methods to get it to see my devices in Live, like for example the compressor and instead it just remains on the main mixer console :(

So basically I am asking, what good controller out there will help me??? I hear the Novation Zero SL MK2 or Nocturn are really good for this?

APC40 looks good but it may be more than what I am looking to do as I primarily produce and not perform.
MacPro(1,1)
MOTU 828 mk3, Axiom Pro49, Akai MPD32, LiquidMix 16
Live 8, NOMAD Factory Plugins Suite, FabFilter Plugin Suite, PSP Vintage Collection
NERVE, Sylenth1, NEXUS2, Arturia Analog Factory 2.5, Trillian

ramangill

Re: Controller for Live

Post by ramangill » Mon May 17, 2010 6:30 pm

by the way...I have a MPD32. Can this act as a controller as well? Meaning if I click on a device like say the Compressor VIA my mouse so it has focus, how do I get my MPD32 to start to see so that when move a knob it moves it on the screen as well.

I am getting tired of using the mouse.
MacPro(1,1)
Live 8, NOMAD Factory Plugins Suite, FabFilter Plugin Suite, PSP Vintage Collection

agent314

Post by agent314 » Mon May 17, 2010 6:45 pm

After using an APC40 for a couple of months now, I could never go back to being a mouse-user for Live. For device control and clip launching, it is spectacular.

Combining it with a keyboard/pad controller, you should be set to do just about anything you'd want in the studio (and possibly live).

ramangill

Post by ramangill » Mon May 17, 2010 6:51 pm

agent314 wrote:After using an APC40 for a couple of months now, I could never go back to being a mouse-user for Live. For device control and clip launching, it is spectacular.

Combining it with a keyboard/pad controller, you should be set to do just about anything you'd want in the studio (and possibly live).
But does the APC40 act as a controller like a Nocturn say....
I want to be able to control whatever piece of Live from some sort of device.
MacPro(1,1)

delicioso

Post by delicioso » Mon May 17, 2010 8:21 pm

Nocturn is great for third party plug control.
Maschine with the supplied Mackie Control template makes an excellent Live controller and you get full visual feedback of track/device/parameter names (including third party plugs) on its two LCD displays. The Live template that Maschine comes with also does session view clip matrix launching via the pads. There are other instant mapping Live templates for Maschine as well shared in the Maschine forums.

warthog303

Post by warthog303 » Mon May 17, 2010 8:32 pm

dd

warthog303

Post by warthog303 » Mon May 17, 2010 8:34 pm

ramangill wrote:I have a M-AUDIO Axiom Pro49 and it claims to be a controll above all the rest...well it is not and it is not user friendly. Its Hypercontrol sucks cause I have tried several methods to get it to see my devices in Live, like for example the compressor and instead it just remains on the main mixer console :(

So basically I am asking, what good controller out there will help me??? I hear the Novation Zero SL MK2 or Nocturn are really good for this?

APC40 looks good but it may be more than what I am looking to do as I primarily produce and not perform.

You need to press the "mode" button to switch between Mixer and plug-in mode!

Are you using windows 7???? if so you'll also gonna have to do a little work around to get the Hypercontrol working how it should!!

ramangill

Post by ramangill » Mon May 17, 2010 8:39 pm

delicioso wrote:Nocturn is great for third party plug control.
Maschine with the supplied Mackie Control template makes an excellent Live controller and you get full visual feedback of track/device/parameter names (including third party plugs) on its two LCD displays. The Live template that Maschine comes with also does session view clip matrix launching via the pads. There are other instant mapping Live templates for Maschine as well shared in the Maschine forums.
More $$$$ for it though as well...I think the APC40 is like $150 cheaper?
MacPro(1,1)

ramangill

Post by ramangill » Mon May 17, 2010 8:46 pm

warthog303 wrote:
ramangill wrote:I have a M-AUDIO Axiom Pro49 and it claims to be a controll above all the rest...well it is not and it is not user friendly. Its Hypercontrol sucks cause I have tried several methods to get it to see my devices in Live, like for example the compressor and instead it just remains on the main mixer console :(

You need to press the "mode" button to switch between Mixer and plug-in mode!

Are you using windows 7???? if so you'll also gonna have to do a little work around to get the Hypercontrol working how it should!!
Mac OSX Snow Leopard.

I have pressed the MODE button on the AxiomPro....still does not switch like it should be...I may be missing a step somewhere.
MacPro(1,1)

delicioso

Post by delicioso » Mon May 17, 2010 8:51 pm

ramangill wrote:
delicioso wrote:Nocturn is great for third party plug control.
More $$$$ for it though as well...I think the APC40 is like $150 cheaper?
Not if you consider all of what Maschine offers which is far more than APC40 which is just a Live-specific midi controller. For mouseless music making in a software environment, Maschine is one of the best options currently available and it integrates with Live as if they were made for each other.

warthog303

Post by warthog303 » Mon May 17, 2010 8:57 pm

Mac OSX Snow Leopard.

I have pressed the MODE button on the AxiomPro....still does not switch like it should be...I may be missing a step somewhere.[/quote]

I had a similar problem but using windows 7, and it was something to do with the Hypercontrol driver! Have you checked the m-audio forum page? this is how I managed to sort it out. Also, you have all the right boxes checked in the control preference page?

ramangill

Post by ramangill » Mon May 17, 2010 9:02 pm

warthog303 wrote:Mac OSX Snow Leopard.

I have pressed the MODE button on the AxiomPro....still does not switch like it should be...I may be missing a step somewhere.
I had a similar problem but using windows 7, and it was something to do with the Hypercontrol driver! Have you checked the m-audio forum page? this is how I managed to sort it out. Also, you have all the right boxes checked in the control preference page?[/quote]

I will check the site and RE-INSTALL the drivers to be sure.

What boxes SHOULD be checked?
MacPro(1,1)

delicioso

Post by delicioso » Mon May 17, 2010 9:08 pm

Also, don't forget LiveControl.

And others:

nanoKontrol Myr

guille's script for Nocturn.

warthog303

Post by warthog303 » Mon May 17, 2010 9:41 pm

ramangill wrote:
warthog303 wrote:Mac OSX Snow Leopard.

I had a similar problem but using windows 7, and it was something to do with the Hypercontrol driver! Have you checked the m-audio forum page? this is how I managed to sort it out. Also, you have all the right boxes checked in the control preference page?
I will check the site and RE-INSTALL the drivers to be sure.
What boxes SHOULD be checked?[/quote]

Axiom Pro: HyperControl setup for Ableton Live:

http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=sup ... 40a8fcf057

Submersible

Post by Submersible » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:35 pm

I'm curious to know if Hypercontrol has been improved at all in recent releases of Live. I basically shelved my Axiom Pro because I couldn't get the pads working in Impulse. That's one of the best known issues, but far from the only issue with using an Axiom Pro keyboard with Live 8.

Any reason to give this another try? The last communication I got from M-Audio was that Hypercontrol is built into Live 8 and only Ableton can fix it. That was in February.

If M-Audio would make an Axiom (*not* pro) with smooth encoders instead of steppy encoders, I'd buy it. The regular Axiom worked pretty well but felt like crap to play.