Question about Apc40 and mapping controls.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Miltonaken

Question about Apc40 and mapping controls.

Post by Miltonaken » Tue May 18, 2010 12:01 am

Hello,

I'm new Apc40 user. I'm confused because I understood that is possible mapp 64 parameter per device. For example: In autofilter the "filter type selection" is not automatically maped to any "device control" bank-1 encoders. Well, i can select Bank "2" and manually map this parameter to the encoder 1 of bank 2, ok. But if I select the next plugins in the chain (e.g. like a "simple delay") this encoder 1 of bank 2 remains controlling "filter type select" from previous device.

This means only the Bank-1 eight encoders are updated and remapped when another device is selected? This is normal? This means that it is not possible to have this mapped encoder for the following devices?

Thanks in advance for your help and, please, excuse me for my horrible english. :)

Regards.

naph

Re: Question about Apc40 and mapping controls.

Post by naph » Tue May 18, 2010 12:25 am

yes it is correct, once you override default functionality with a custom assignment, you don't have the original automapping on the same bank. it will only work the way you have set it to.

a good workaround could be to rack up your devices, so you can choose which contorl assign to the 8 macro knobs

Miltonaken

Post by Miltonaken » Tue May 18, 2010 1:37 am

Thanks for you comment, naph.

I should clarify that I have not overwritten any dafault assignment, I've only used one of the next 2-8 banks free encoder which was not mapped. Curiously only eight controls are mapped in autofocus by default, when is obviously that there are more parameters to map and supposed 8x7 free encoders for map it!

There is a live plugin that have more than eight assignments by the automap? I mean, some that use Banks 2 to 8?

Anyway, is a good idea to rack the devices to control it with macro control. :)

flippo

Post by flippo » Tue May 18, 2010 1:48 am

Miltonaken wrote:
There is a live plugin that have more than eight assignments by the automap? I mean, some that use Banks 2 to 8?
EQ8 for instances has a few banks, 1 bank for devices on, one for frequency, one for resonance/q, one for filter type, one for gain etc.

naph

Post by naph » Tue May 18, 2010 2:16 am

Miltonaken wrote: I should clarify that I have not overwritten any dafault assignment, I've only used one of the next 2-8 banks free encoder which was not mapped.
actually, you should see the 8 encoders x 8 banks as 64 physical knob, once you map one to something, it's mapped. so you didn't map one of the "free encoder for the first device", you actually mapped the "1st encoder of bank 2" to a specific assignment, so this mean it won't be available for any other automatic mapping.

hope this helps

yes there are few devices in live which uses more than 1 bank, try operator, it uses almost all banks.. first 4 banks for each osc, then you have lfo, pitch, general, etc

Miltonaken

Post by Miltonaken » Tue May 18, 2010 10:44 am

Ok, now I understand, thank you very much for your help guys. :wink:

Best!