New Macbook Pro I5 and I7 Processor

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Hidden Driveways

Re: New Macbook Pro I5 and I7 Processor

Post by Hidden Driveways » Tue May 18, 2010 1:08 pm

Swapping out the hard drive is supposed to be really easy on the Unibody MBP's. Later on when the prices of 500 GB SSD's are reasonable, I'm going to pick one up and swap it out.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Tue May 18, 2010 1:40 pm

Hidden Driveways wrote:Swapping out the hard drive is supposed to be really easy on the Unibody MBP's. Later on when the prices of 500 GB SSD's are reasonable, I'm going to pick one up and swap it out.
+1. Not having any issues with the 5400 RPM 500GB drive in my i7 MBP, I'd rather have more space than the SSD myself. Too expensive and I'm already used to having more than 320GB with me. I have the full Live 8 Suite install, Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, the full Logic content, all my DJ tracks, plus a ton of room left over. Much more useful here than a disk access speed bump, especially since I'm not having any issues as it is with the 5400 drive.

Over 1000 clips sure sounds like a lot though, can't imagine that will ever be entirely smooth regardless of what machine you run it on, no?

mja

Post by mja » Tue May 18, 2010 10:20 pm

Tarekith wrote:
Hidden Driveways wrote:.

Over 1000 clips sure sounds like a lot though, can't imagine that will ever be entirely smooth regardless of what machine you run it on, no?

Ya,1000 clips is a hell of a lot.

Probably asking a bit much of the computer tbh.

j-cuc

Post by j-cuc » Tue May 25, 2010 8:45 am

ajargy wrote: Please let me know what you guys think about the differences between the I5 and I7 processors and solid state HDs! Thanks guys, peace, love.
got the 15'' with i7 with 8 GIGs RAM and 512GIG SSD…
and i am sad to report that live is crashing on my like crazy… about once every hour. everthing is fine (even logic runs smooth!) and the SSD is smokin' fast. i would not buy a laptop with some spinning magnetic platter inside ever again - if i am sure the crashes are not related to the SSD.
but if not: get an SSD ! - and maybe replace the superdrive with a 1TB HD later on.

one note though: the macbook now replaced my G5 and while the baby is much faster and nice… it sits ON the table where as the G5 was UNDER the table… so the fans will be right in your face which can be a bit annoying when doing audio work.

nicogrubert

Post by nicogrubert » Tue May 25, 2010 9:49 am

What is your experience with the heat of the MB Pro?
Are they getting very hot if you are running it with heavy CPU load for 60 minutes?

photonal

Post by photonal » Tue May 25, 2010 11:29 am

ajargy wrote:Thanks for all of the feedback. I really don't think reinstalling Live would make the difference. I do have about 30 free gigs on my HD.

In my Live set I have over 1,000 clips... It's just getting way too big and I've tried everything to reduce CPU Usage but still can't seem to get it low enough to not glitch out on my when I play to 16th quantization...
seems there's your problem and solution:
oratowsky wrote:also if you are running a core duo, i mean that is not really ancient now, is it? you might want to try reinstalling OS X to see if Live performs better .....
oratowsky was suggesting re-installing OSX not just your Live install

30 Gigs is slowly getting to the critical point, so I'd suggest doing a springclean of your hard drive and installing/keeping what you need and archiving the other data to an external drive.

A core duo isn't old iron yet so it ought to be up the job.

senator adam

Post by senator adam » Tue May 25, 2010 5:06 pm

nicogrubert wrote:What is your experience with the heat of the MB Pro?
Are they getting very hot if you are running it with heavy CPU load for 60 minutes?
Yeah mine gets super hot on the bottom, especially when I'm working with video projects. I have it on a laptop stand though, so all good. I was worried about it at first, but after researching the issue, it seems like it's very common. Not worried about it any more.
My tunes (triphop/downtempo/beats):
http://www.thenewlaw.com

My podcast:
http://www.senatoradam.com

JEpic

Post by JEpic » Tue May 25, 2010 6:06 pm

davepermen wrote:the i7 is an a bit faster i5, it has nothing more or special. in the desktops, the i7 is a quadcore while the i5 is a dualcore. in the macbooks, all are "just" dualcores, the i7 being a bit faster.

the ssd on the other hand will make a world of difference in performance, and make you suddenly not care that much about your laptop anymore. it can fall down while on stage, doesn't matter, as long as the soundcard is still plugged in to the pa.

I don't know about the second statement, but the first absolutely not true. Please try not to post misinformation like this.

You can read for yourself Here

Jeff Brown

Post by Jeff Brown » Fri May 28, 2010 11:51 pm

JEpic wrote:
davepermen wrote:the i7 is an a bit faster i5, it has nothing more or special ...

... absolutely not true. Please try not to post misinformation like this.

You can read for yourself Here

Are you sure you're interpreting that PCWorld article correctly? It looks to me like their conclusion is that the i5 is pretty great, but there's "no compelling reason" to get the i7.

massenmedium

Post by massenmedium » Sat May 29, 2010 12:03 am

It's also referring to the desktop versions.

http://www.brighthub.com/computing/hard ... 66776.aspx

jasonjbundy

Post by jasonjbundy » Sat May 29, 2010 2:47 pm

I have a 17" MBP with 8GB RAM/500GB 7200 HD and an i7 processor.

Yes the i7 is considered dualcore but it reads as 4 cores which is quite different than the Intel C2D's. Heat is not an issue for my machine; it runs much better and more efficiently than my late-2006 Intel C2D machine.

Also it runs in 64bit mode automatically. Logic 9 is excellent in 64bit and Apple did improve the AU bit bridge quite a bit from its first inception.

Above all, Ableton Live 8.1.3 is VERY stable here. Hopefully, Abes will make Live 64bit!