You Do Realize that 8.1.3 still crashes ALL THE TIME???!!?!?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
nicogrubert

Re: You Do Realize that 8.1.3 still crashes ALL THE TIME???!!?!?

Post by nicogrubert » Tue May 18, 2010 2:52 pm

Still some issues here with 8.1.3.
Most of the crashed occur if I play back the arrangement in arrangement view and click into the time bar to jump to different locations in the track.
I use a lot of 3rd party plugins and I am running Live on windows XP 32 Bit.

alonso

Post by alonso » Tue May 18, 2010 3:00 pm

no crashes here!
macbook 2.16 intel dual 2 core, OSX 10.6.x, Babyface, Live Suite 8.x.x

Dennis DeSantis

Post by Dennis DeSantis » Tue May 18, 2010 3:41 pm

Hermanus wrote:Yesterday I had several annoying crashes with 7.0.18... 3 reboots because live was always stucked in the task manager
Hi,

Do you have a USB controller? If so, try to detach it after a crash and see if this allows you to kill the task manager process.

Best,

twisted-space

Post by twisted-space » Tue May 18, 2010 4:42 pm

Hi Dennis, that's the same response you gave me a month ago. I responded then that it doesn't help.
I still haven't had a response back regarding Case ableton321339 from december last year either.
What's going on?

Dennis DeSantis wrote:
twisted-space wrote:Dennis, I posted a bug report regarding the problem with Sylenth1 on 18/12/09
On the 23/12/09 I had this back in response

Re: (Case ableton321339) Crash with sylenth1 in live beta 8.1.1b3
Hello,

Thanks for the report - we´ll investigate.

best,
Christian Kleine
Ableton Technical Support

I've not heard anything since. The problem still exists in the current release version (8.1.3). It would be nice to get some kind of response, even if it's a "yes we've looked at it, it's the vst that's at fault".
Even worse is that once live has crashed the only way to get it to run again is to reboot or wait about 10 min. The live n.n.n.exe process can not be killed using taskmanager or pskill.

I't all well and good asking customers to send bug reports, but perhaps you should get someone to respond to them when they do, they might see the point in sending more then.

I'm sorry that no one got back to you on this.

One thought for your crash: are you using a USB MIDI controller? If so, try physically detaching its cable if you can't kill the .exe in the taskmanager. This may allow the process to die.

Please let me know if this works.

best,

Sarrova-Q

Post by Sarrova-Q » Tue May 18, 2010 5:09 pm

Is it somehow possible to post an up-to-date list on the forum with vst's/AU's that crash Live?

I see Sylenth 1 is mentioned above does this plugin crash Live?

If so, why isn't it mentioned here: http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25171 (and why isn't this list up-to-date -> 8april 2009 ?!) ?

It would be handy (also for the many bug reports) to know which plugins are known to cause major problems.

twisted-space

Post by twisted-space » Tue May 18, 2010 5:20 pm

Sarrova-Q wrote:I see Sylenth 1 is mentioned above does this plugin crash Live?
Yes, confirm by 2 others.
Dragging a live device from the browser over the open sylenth 1 gui will crash live.
Checked on windows XP, Vista x32 and x64 and Windows 7 x32 and x64, not sure if it happens on OSX.

I know for a fact it was reported as early as Aug 2009.

Dennis DeSantis

Post by Dennis DeSantis » Tue May 18, 2010 5:29 pm

Hi twisted-space,

Please note that my reply about the USB controller was to another poster. This remains a bug that we're trying to fix, and it seems to affect many users.

I am looking into the issue with your support request, and I apologize for the delay.

Best,

Dennis DeSantis

Post by Dennis DeSantis » Tue May 18, 2010 5:41 pm

Hi folks,

Looking through the support records, we are able to reproduce the Sylenth crash, but we don't have an estimate for a fix.

Best,

Sarrova-Q

Post by Sarrova-Q » Tue May 18, 2010 5:43 pm

Soooo ... I'll repeat myself:
Sarrova-Q wrote:Is it somehow possible to post an up-to-date list on the forum with vst's/AU's that crash Live?

why isn't this list up-to-date -> 8april 2009 ?! http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25171

It would be handy (also for the many bug reports) to know which plugins are known to cause major problems.

HeadrickProductions

Post by HeadrickProductions » Tue May 18, 2010 6:05 pm

take it from my previous experience that you will not get this request

I can understand why ableton does not want to.

1. On one hand it might be there fault for poor programming or lack or programmer since their old programmers decided to leave them high and dry about a year ago to form a rival company - http://www.bitwig.com

Since I don't know the background story i can't really form an opinion but it sucks for all of us (ableton and the folks who are still having trouble with live)

2. On the other hand it might be the third party programmer's fault. (in my case NI)

Either way they do not want to point finger's at either themselves or others.

I do not blame them for avoiding blame in this manor but it does make it difficult for those of us who are still having troubles with ableton live 8.1.3.

The best thing I can say is download the beta and just get back to making music.....I went through a ranting MONTH a while back and it really did no good
In a K induced Haze (the old K kind not the special K kind ), but an Asian spizz can sometimes bring me out! If ya don't get it, ya never will.

Swing like your life depends on it

Dennis DeSantis

Post by Dennis DeSantis » Tue May 18, 2010 6:09 pm

Hi folks,

I've just added a note about the issues with Sylenth1 to the Known Issues post.

Also, there's a potential Live crash fix that apparently exists in the latest beta of Sylenth1, as reported here: http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php? ... 1#p1123071

Could users who are experiencing problems please try this to see if it helps?

Thanks,

cotdagoo

Post by cotdagoo » Tue May 18, 2010 6:17 pm

umm.. that sylenth1 bug was fixed in the latest version of sylenth almost a month ago.

http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php? ... 1#p1123071

edit: dennis must have been editing while i was getting the topic link! either way the new version of sylenth1 definitely fixes the issue. no need to add it to ableton's pile ;)

twisted-space

Post by twisted-space » Wed May 19, 2010 12:18 am

Yep, just tried the sylenth 1 beta and the bug is fixed.
Now would anyone like to comment on why it took so long to get this:
Dennis DeSantis wrote:Hi folks,

Looking through the support records, we are able to reproduce the Sylenth crash, but we don't have an estimate for a fix.

Best,

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Wed May 19, 2010 12:33 am

twisted-space wrote:Yep, just tried the sylenth 1 beta and the bug is fixed.
Now would anyone like to comment on why it took so long to get this:
Dennis DeSantis wrote:Hi folks,

Best,
Probably because they were able to reproduce it, unable to figure out why it was happening and hence to give any estimate on anything realting to it.
And it turns out the reason for THAT was - it was a sylenth bug, which sylenth have now obviously fixed.

At least that seems the self-evident answer to me.

twisted-space

Post by twisted-space » Wed May 19, 2010 12:51 am

Angstrom wrote: Probably because they were able to reproduce it, unable to figure out why it was happening and hence to give any estimate on anything realting to it.
And it turns out the reason for THAT was - it was a sylenth bug, which sylenth have now obviously fixed.

At least that seems the self-evident answer to me.
So would it be unreasonable to expect an email back saying something like "confirmed, we have no idea what is causing it but we're looking into it"?