iPad

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
Rave

Re: My New iPad: Daily Reports!

Post by Rave » Sat May 22, 2010 4:26 pm

I am getting a 3g ipad this Friday and plan to buy lots of music apps as a cheap way to control my gear lust. I will keep you informed.

dum

Post by dum » Sat May 22, 2010 5:27 pm

Other than controller apps and the entertaining 'toy' like apps...
what sound generating applications do you think will contribute to your studio projects?

i find iDrum a great tool for creating and moving grooves from host to host and machine (netbook) to machine (studio). so an iPad instance of iDrum would be appealing and useful to me. other than that, the iPad rebirth is kool since it can save proper rebirth files for export to a computer. But rebirth is pretty much in permanent 'toy' status for me even on my lappie.
Pasha wrote:Thanks dum for being so precise.

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Sat May 22, 2010 7:26 pm

Report #2
May 22, 2010

Safari. meh.
One of the bummers about the iPad version of Safari is that you can't scroll through a forum message after hitting reply 'quotes'. If you're trying to reply to a rather long quote, you can't scroll down to the end and Safari puts a cursor at the end of the VISIBLE part of the quote. meh. That's the same with the iPhone/iTouch. Not a big deal, but..... Talk about monopoly. There no plans to ever allow competing browsers, at least none that I've heard. I hate Safari on my MacBook, and I hate it on my iPad. Gets the job done, mind you, but I'd jump on a Firefox mobile browser in a heartbeat. If it worked, lol.

Battery life
I've not done a hardcore test or anything, but I've used the thing quite a bit over several days - including a couple hours of reading each of those nights - and the battery is at 43%. Pretty good.

The Coffee Table Factor
One of the main reasons I got the thing was to have it around in the kitchen, living room, etc so that I don't have to run up to the attic to fire up a machine to check on something. Like most folks, I wanted something that could be immediately fired up, a quick search of this or that, then set it down. In this respect the thing is fucking perfect. The processor speed is excellent no matter what I'm doing. Turning it on takes a second? Safari is quick. No wifi connection issues at all, etc etc. It's excellent to be able to just carry the thing from room to room, doing a quick browse, casual like. I know that sounds like 'duh, no shit' territory, but actually USING the thing as intended is still kind of a 'wow' moment.

SYNC YOU TOO, MOTHERFUCKER!!!!
Apples approach, or lack thereof, to create devices that can actually talk to each other wirelessly is nothing short of SHIT. I don't understand why my iPhone can't talk to my iPad. Data exchange via wifi is a no fucking brainer. I can use DropBox or some other cloud app, but honestly that's a workaround I'd like to avoid. Wouldn't it be cool if you're checking your email on the iPad and there's a phone number listed in someone's sig, and you could click that number and your iPhone would automatically start dialing? I think so. Many people prolly think so. Apple? Who the fuck knows what they think. It probably violates 586 terms of usage for any number of corporations. Who knows.

I mentioned it in another thread, but along the same lines, why the fuck can't we wirelessly sync with iTunes? All this talk about how the future is mobile devices, but I still gotta plug it in to my machine via a hard connection. meh. Fucking MEH.

Crashes
They do happen. I've been kicked out of the mail app once in about, oh I dunno, 20 visits? Safari, for all my bitching, hasn't crashed once. A few dodgy 3rd party apps have crashed. All in all, relatively few I suppose. And I don't know if you can blame Apple for the 3rd party stuff.

Screen Contrast
Like the iPhone, still no screen contrast control. Brightness of course, but no contrast. I guess I only need it really for the iBook and Kindle apps. Turning down the screen brightness is great, but INCREASING contrast after that would be better.

:D
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Sat May 22, 2010 7:37 pm

beats me wrote:How's the 3g connection? I have a first gen iphone so it's supremely hobbled from things others have been enjoying for quite some time. Whenever I get text messages from people that includes a picture I always have to respond with "I can't view text pictures on my phone!!! STILL!!" I was recently told you can on the later gen iPhones and that was news to me. :x

The 3G works flawlessly. I too have a first gen iPhone and have never used 3G before. Was pleasantly surprised at how fast and smooth it was.

One thing that's kind of shit is that the iPad will, eh, 'pleasantly' remind you that you haven't picked a data plan yet, lol.

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Sat May 22, 2010 7:54 pm

dum wrote:Other than controller apps and the entertaining 'toy' like apps...
what sound generating applications do you think will contribute to your studio projects?

i find iDrum a great tool for creating and moving grooves from host to host and machine (netbook) to machine (studio). so an iPad instance of iDrum would be appealing and useful to me. other than that, the iPad rebirth is kool since it can save proper rebirth files for export to a computer. But rebirth is pretty much in permanent 'toy' status for me even on my lappie.

Ahh, an excellent question, d. (And Tarekith asked as well I think).

I can't answer this fully quite yet because I'm still checking out the options. However I did pick up Pianist Pro because it's got OSC/MIDI out capability. It's a wicked cool app with onboard recording capability, sequencer style drum machine(only 4 samples though, meh), pitch/mod wheel, the ability to have an extended keyboard on screen, and some rather excellent piano/organ samples. However, I can't get the fucking OSC to work yet, lol. Still it's been pretty cool for laying down some chord and melody ideas. Something that I'll use ongoing, I think.

There's other synth apps that look very cool. Of course, the iElectribe is wicked but I haven't picked it up yet. I think they've just released an iDrum 808 for the iPad.

My main issue though, as I've whined about before, is lack of MIDI on most of these sound generating programs. It's a huge fail for me. I think were starting to see more because of the iPad, but still.... I don't want just an app I can noodle with. I want an app that I can noodle with AND immediately use as recording and performance tool. iElectribe is a perfect case in point. But apparently a big hurdle is the lack of MIDI clock capability on the iPad/iPhone. I bet the HP Tablet would have had that function out of the box. :P

beats me

Post by beats me » Sat May 22, 2010 8:23 pm

LoopStationZebra wrote: SYNC YOU TOO, MOTHERFUCKER!!!!
Apples approach, or lack thereof, to create devices that can actually talk to each other wirelessly is nothing short of SHIT. I don't understand why my iPhone can't talk to my iPad. Data exchange via wifi is a no fucking brainer. I can use DropBox or some other cloud app, but honestly that's a workaround I'd like to avoid. Wouldn't it be cool if you're checking your email on the iPad and there's a phone number listed in someone's sig, and you could click that number and your iPhone would automatically start dialing? I think so. Many people prolly think so. Apple? Who the fuck knows what they think. It probably violates 586 terms of usage for any number of corporations. Who knows.

I mentioned it in another thread, but along the same lines, why the fuck can't we wirelessly sync with iTunes? All this talk about how the future is mobile devices, but I still gotta plug it in to my machine via a hard connection. meh. Fucking MEH.
That's never really bothered me, or I should say it's something I've never really thought about, but I see your point. But are there any devices out on the market that do that.

I still giggle that I can control iTunes playing in another room from my iPhone so I don't have to get off my lazy ass. Is there a more extensive remote app for the iPad?

And I almost pee myself daily that we have 3 computers all sharing libraries wirelessly, no more burning CDs or swapping out external hard drives. The only issue is that while we can stream anything from any computer we can't drag media to a hard drive that is on another computer unless both computers are logged into the same Apple ID and neither me nor my roommate are willing to give the other one that kind of wizard powers.

Rave

Post by Rave » Sat May 22, 2010 10:30 pm

beats me wrote:
LoopStationZebra wrote: SYNC YOU TOO, MOTHERFUCKER!!!!

That's never really bothered me, or I should say it's something I've never really thought about, but I see your point. But are there any devices out on the market that do that.

I still giggle that I can control iTunes playing in another room from my iPhone so I don't have to get off my lazy ass. Is there a more extensive remote app for the iPad?

And I almost pee myself daily that we have 3 computers all sharing libraries wirelessly, no more burning CDs or swapping out external hard drives. The only issue is that while we can stream anything from any computer we can't drag media to a hard drive that is on another computer unless both computers are logged into the same Apple ID and neither me nor my roommate are willing to give the other one that kind of wizard powers.

Would a NAS drive fix that? :)

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Sun May 23, 2010 7:25 pm

Report #3
May 23, 2010

Multi-tasking is a MUST and it can't get here fast enough.

I wonder if the HP Slate, whenever it comes out, will be a true stand-alone unit or if you'll have to have it tethered to some parent Windows 7 app? That goes for the rest of all the future models. Prolly not. These things are never going to be serious devices (ie true alternatives to a reg. machine) until they can truly stand on their own. While Jobs & Co. May not see them that way, that's where they will inevitably end up.

Haven't been able to find one online store anywhere that sells ebooks with a true ePub extension. That sucks. Even the independent shops. Guess that's the DRM protection?

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Sun May 23, 2010 7:28 pm

Report #4
May 23, 2010

The iPad was taking fucking FOREVER to charge. After 6 hours it had only increased by 15%

That's because I was accidentally using my iPhone charger, and it doesn't put out anywhere close to the required 10W.
:lol:

mikemc

Post by mikemc » Mon May 24, 2010 3:35 am

so, are these updates still being posted via a vintage PC?
UTENZIL a tool... of the muse.

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Mon May 24, 2010 4:04 am

mikemc wrote:so, are these updates still being posted via a vintage PC?

BASTARD!!!!!!!!!!!

Gaktually, I'm typing this on my iPad. :P

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Mon May 24, 2010 12:42 pm

Report #5
May 24, 2010

meh. There's no calculator and no clock app on the iPad. Couldn't Apple have upgraded those for the iPad?

meh.

So far I've only seen one popup ad. It's a giant thing that shows up on the splash screen for the free AP news app. Gigantic thing. Promptly deleted. The app sucked anyway.

The spell check/punctuation corrector is a bit wonky. There's things it will miss that it just caught the paragraph before.

LiveControl app continues to amaze. Been using it constantly. ST8 says that he thinks a drum pad screen could be possible. Hopefully keys as well. It's the controller of my dreams and FUCK tactile. FUCK IT, I SAY!!!!! lol.

Rave

Post by Rave » Mon May 24, 2010 10:11 pm

LoopStationZebra wrote:Report #5
May 24, 2010

LiveControl app continues to amaze. Been using it constantly. ST8 says that he thinks a drum pad screen could be possible. Hopefully keys as well. It's the controller of my dreams and FUCK tactile. FUCK IT, I SAY!!!!! lol.
tis one of the reasons I am getting an ipad.

I just received a mail from apple to say that my ipad is on it's way. I hope it arrives early :D

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Mon May 24, 2010 10:40 pm

congrats dude... you've come a long way from not working outta-the-box.

it still sounds like you have Slate lust tho...
LoopStationZebra wrote:it's like a hipster commie pinko manifesto. Rambling. Angry. Nearly divorced from all reality; yet strangely compelling with a ring of truth.

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Mon May 24, 2010 11:40 pm

H20nly wrote:congrats dude... you've come a long way from not working outta-the-box.

it still sounds like you have Slate lust tho...

I have Slate Lust big time. Sue me. :lol: