Mapping Launchpad to EQ3

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
Squicker

Mapping Launchpad to EQ3

Post by Squicker » Thu May 20, 2010 10:21 am

Hi

Sorry if this has been asked before (did a forum search) but how can I map a series of Launchpad buttons to EQ3 bass gain in Live? I want to be able to incrementally manage bass gain with my User 2 buttons the same way you can manage track volume in Mixer mode.

Essentially, if I try to do this by putting Live into MIDI mapping mode, and press a Launchpad button it will save that one control mapping and I can assign a value. But when pressing the next button to try to map another value to EQ3 Low gain, say, then it overwrites the first mapping.

I can assign kills no problem but it would appear that it's a pure 1 to 1 relationship with controls. If so, how did Novation come up with the incremental volume control per track in mixer mode?

Many thanks

myxomat0515

Re: Mapping Launchpad to EQ3

Post by myxomat0515 » Thu May 20, 2010 5:42 pm

Hold down the first button, then press the second and it will assign the effect over that given range. Keep in mind that in LP user 2 mode, the buttons go in sequence from left to right (not top to bottom), so you'll have to map it horizontally.

Squicker

Post by Squicker » Thu May 20, 2010 6:24 pm

myxomat0515 wrote:Hold down the first button, then press the second and it will assign the effect over that given range. Keep in mind that in LP user 2 mode, the buttons go in sequence from left to right (not top to bottom), so you'll have to map it horizontally.
Hi, thanks for the help. Had just sussed it as it happens, it was the vertical thing that threw me.

Not impressed I have to say. The fact that they run horizonally is counter-intuitive and the fact you can't get them to light up for feedback (I realise you can if you set another button to kill the MIDI channel the signal is coming on before switching page) means you have to check the EQ on Ableton. Add to this lot the need to switch page back to mixer to deal with levels if you are mixing in tracks, and once on the Mixer page then push Volume before you can adjust levels, then probably switch back to deal with EQ in the mix, and you have a recipe for disaster if you're playing a live set in a venue.

I've still not found a better way of using Live to DJ with than a good multiport sound card hooked up to off-board mixing. I guess you can use the Launchpad purely to launch stuff but you may as well use the mouse and screen if that's all you're using the device for.

I can see this one gathering dust with all the other 'good ideas' I've had!

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Thu May 20, 2010 8:13 pm

I can think of one really F***ed up idea to make it work out quite interestingly. haha.

I'm warning in advance, this would be a very out-of-the-way useless method but it could inspire you for something much simpler :D:

In theory, lets say you are only djing with 2 channels. Channel 1 would be "Deck A" and, Channel 5 would be "Deck B".

After Channel 1, you would have 3 more channels Channel 2 = A-lo, Channel 3 = A-mid, Channel 4 = A-hi. (you would follow after 5 similarly with 7, 8 and 9)

Now you would set it so that All 4 of those channels are "Sends Only", Set Channels 2 - 4 so that they receive their audio from Channel 1. Next put an EQ3 in Channels 2-4. Mute the appropriate buttons "Lo, Mid Hi" for each channel according to their label. For example Channel 2 "A-lo" would have the mid and hi muted so that only the Low comes through.

Now leave Return channel B blank. It will act as your master. All your summed audio will end up here from both decks.

When you are in "Mixer Mode" when you go to the Sends, you can now control the EQ of "Deck A" by adjusting the levels vertically of strips 2, 3, 4 in Send B mode. (You can do the same for "Deck B" so that strips 6, 7, 8 do the same).

They will be red LEDs :P. Lastly, you can assign vertical strip 1 of Send B mode to the Volume control of Channel 1 (Deck A) so that you have volume and EQ all on one page :)

Edit: the other way to do this... would just, being in your Send B page when you are in MIDI Assign mode. Then assign each of these to your EQ3 knobs. haha

Squicker

Post by Squicker » Thu May 20, 2010 8:49 pm

yur2die4 wrote:I can think of one really F***ed up idea to make it work out quite interestingly. haha.

I'm warning in advance, this would be a very out-of-the-way useless method but it could inspire you for something much simpler :D:

In theory, lets say you are only djing with 2 channels. Channel 1 would be "Deck A" and, Channel 5 would be "Deck B".

After Channel 1, you would have 3 more channels Channel 2 = A-lo, Channel 3 = A-mid, Channel 4 = A-hi. (you would follow after 5 similarly with 7, 8 and 9)

Now you would set it so that All 4 of those channels are "Sends Only", Set Channels 2 - 4 so that they receive their audio from Channel 1. Next put an EQ3 in Channels 2-4. Mute the appropriate buttons "Lo, Mid Hi" for each channel according to their label. For example Channel 2 "A-lo" would have the mid and hi muted so that only the Low comes through.

Now leave Return channel B blank. It will act as your master. All your summed audio will end up here from both decks.

When you are in "Mixer Mode" when you go to the Sends, you can now control the EQ of "Deck A" by adjusting the levels vertically of strips 2, 3, 4 in Send B mode. (You can do the same for "Deck B" so that strips 6, 7, 8 do the same).

They will be red LEDs :P. Lastly, you can assign vertical strip 1 of Send B mode to the Volume control of Channel 1 (Deck A) so that you have volume and EQ all on one page :)

Edit: the other way to do this... would just, being in your Send B page when you are in MIDI Assign mode. Then assign each of these to your EQ3 knobs. haha
:) Gives me something to muck about with. I can see if I think creatively about it I could probably think of improvements on the original 'horizontal EQ' method, as you have inventively have!

Edit: Well, i've spent all night trying various things and it seems Launchpad is very limited as a DJ controller. It's frustrating as I read a lot of good things about this but it's too basic for Djing. I guess for 150 quid odd you can't expect too much and I have a studio full of stuff i've bought only to find it doesn't cut it for DJing. Another one on the pile!

Thanks for your input however.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Fri May 21, 2010 12:25 am

Have you played with Automap at all? its free. (though the free one is limited.. I ended up buying a Novation ReMote 24sl to get a free upgrade to Pro hahaha)

There are a lot of things you can do from Automap.. and a lot of things you can't quite do. It gives you unlimited pages of layouts to edit.

But the buttons are all red. agh.

Squicker

Post by Squicker » Fri May 21, 2010 5:58 am

yur2die4 wrote:Have you played with Automap at all? its free. (though the free one is limited.. I ended up buying a Novation ReMote 24sl to get a free upgrade to Pro hahaha)

There are a lot of things you can do from Automap.. and a lot of things you can't quite do. It gives you unlimited pages of layouts to edit.

But the buttons are all red. agh.
Yeah, my task today is to look at Automap. I did take a look at it last night but ended up scratching my head and staring at it blankly upon realising that Novation have setup guides for every device with Ableton except the Launchpad.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Fri May 21, 2010 7:46 pm

It took me a while to get it figured out to where I understood its possibilities better. I almost prefer using Automap mode than User modes. You can create lots of pages as well. If you need help, send me a message, or start an Automap for Launchpad post. haha

epjl2000

Post by epjl2000 » Sat May 22, 2010 9:08 pm

Any luck with the eq in automap?

Squicker

Post by Squicker » Mon May 24, 2010 9:34 am

epjl2000 wrote:Any luck with the eq in automap?
No, but this could be due to the very poor documentation supplied with Automap and\or my level of knowledge re. the Automap and the Launchpad device.

Even if I did get EQ assigned acceptably, the fact it's a stepped rather than smooth control is likely to mean it won't suit mixing a lot of the progressive music I play, and being as I'll still want an offboard soundcard for headphone cueing and general quality gains, I may as well continue using dual output from my soundcard into the mixer.

A DJ mixer gives good visual and tactile feedback with good sound quality, you're only going to match this with a digital device that has motorized knobs etc and that's not really something you can sling in a bag and get in and out all night when rushing from place to place.

The conclusion I have drawn is that Launchpad is certainly no panacea for the problem of DJing purely digitally. I think that it's a good device for launching clips, loops and tracks in a set, but for mixer control I'm not going to want to use it.

Still, it's always worth trying this stuff and I think I'll continue to use Launchpad in a live environment for loop launching etc as I've fucked up before now from squinting at a screen with light reflections going off on stage and killing clips or restarting them at the wrong time!

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:16 pm

I've tried my idea from this out, and I might end up using it for myself. Instead of using Sends as EQ, I use channel Volumes (-6 Utility in each channel too). Sends can still be used to send frequency range-specific feeds into the Return channels. It also leaves a 'ghost send' option for my Deck channels. This works out really well with the Mixer page too because I can hit volume resets/mutes/send resets. Actually, that last remark might be good reason to reconsider my -6 Utility :/.

So now my 'EQ channels' go to Master instead of Send Only.

As a bonus, I can load up my EQ channels with all sorts of dummy clips :D ...yet, it might still be more beneficial to have a whole-channel-dummy-clip.