Sync/timing problems with 8.0.3 and Virus TI Snow

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
Bierman

Sync/timing problems with 8.0.3 and Virus TI Snow

Post by Bierman » Thu May 28, 2009 3:47 pm

Hi, I'm getting some problems with the timing of my Virus Snow patches in Live 8.0.3. I imagine this is fairly specific to Virus TI Control software so I guess anyone who doesn't have a virus may not be experiencing this particular problem... but I could be wrong, so do tell.

Basically the arpeggiators and lfos seem to spazz out (for want of a better word) timing-wise when I'm playing around in my set.

The arpeggiator DEFINITELY suffers when I do anything to make the screen change what it is displaying... so for example if I select a different track, and the waveform display changes to show different plugins or whatever, the timing of my apreggiated instrument(s) coming from the Snow go all wobbly, lose time, whatever. Trainwrecks basically. It does recover quite quickly but it sounds shit. Also happens if I enter MIDI mapping mode, so it seems to happen when the display changes. Strange.

As for the lfos... a lot of my patches have filter and/or patch volume mapped to a 1/4 saw wave, negative amplitude, to simulate a sidechain compression pumping type of effect on my patches. (fyi I just upgraded from Live 5 to 8, and in live 5 all of this was not an problem) Anyway, the timing of these lfos seem to just go out of sync whenever they feel like it. As a result the entire rhythmic feel of all my patches is basically scuppered.

Absolutely could not possibly play live in this current situation :( it would be horrendous and embarrassing.

Is anyone experiencing anything like this? Is anyone at Ableton reading this and do they have any suggestions or solutions?

Hope someone can help!

Jon

Bierman

Re: Sync/timing problems with 8.0.3 and Virus TI Snow

Post by Bierman » Fri May 29, 2009 2:57 pm

Just FYI anyone having the same problem, I have solved it.

Turn off Remote on the output to Virus TI (Synth) in the MIDI/Sync preferences pane.

aubford

Re: Sync/timing problems with 8.0.3 and Virus TI Snow

Post by aubford » Tue May 25, 2010 4:40 am

Yeah Im definately having the same problem. I think the reason that no one else has replied is actually because this is such a common problem, as opposed to the fact that others don't have it, so I can only hope that Ableton is aware of it. Im pretty sure it is Ableton's fault as I am aware that they have had serious MIDI timing issues for a long time and don't really seem to care much about fixing them. It's pretty much ridiculous so I'd say that Im less than two months away from ditching this bullshit for Logic unless something happens... I love how ableton's weaknesses are really the things that they claim to be the best at (time shifting and MIDI). It makes no sense...