Propellerhead Day 2: BLOCKS

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
headquest

Propellerhead Day 2: BLOCKS

Post by headquest » Tue May 25, 2010 1:10 pm

Song Mode vs. Block Mode.

The new Session vs Arranger?
iMac Retina 4K 3.3Ghz i7, 16Gb RAM
Live Suite 9.7.1 + Reason 9.1 + Pianoteq 5 + Sibelius 8.5

Listen on Soundcloud

Jarvisimon

Re: Propellerhead Day 2: BLOCKS

Post by Jarvisimon » Tue May 25, 2010 1:12 pm

headquest wrote:Song Mode vs. Block Mode.

Whoever said innovation was no longer possible?

squelcht

Post by squelcht » Tue May 25, 2010 1:13 pm

You know it man. It was only a matter of time before every DAW in the business starts to incorporate this idea.

dum

Post by dum » Tue May 25, 2010 1:19 pm

headquest wrote:Song Mode vs. Block Mode.

Obviously not.
Reason 'blocks' is purely an arrangement enhancer. Session view in ableton is a performance paradigm.
Jarvisimon wrote: Whoever said innovation was no longer possible?
Interesting fact: Ableton didn't come up with the matrix paradigm on their own. They simply implemented it at a time that gave them an edge over every other DAW alternative.
squelcht wrote:You know it man. It was only a matter of time before every DAW in the business starts to incorporate this idea.
going by the promo material alone, I have no idea how anyone thinks reason 'blocks' and ableton 'session view' are even remotely alike.
Pasha wrote:Thanks dum for being so precise.

headquest

Post by headquest » Tue May 25, 2010 1:22 pm

For people shifting away from Live (e.g. because of "quality" or just to get a new groove on) towards Record/Reason it will certainly make the transition a lot easier :) I'm in that category, and can't wait to try this out.

But I agree they are not the same thing. In fact BLOCKS <TM> is more like the Cubase "Arranger Track", though it basically looks better/easier/faster to use.

Listen on Soundcloud

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Tue May 25, 2010 2:04 pm

That looks a lot like what Cubase did way back in SX3. It's handy though, I certainly would use it.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Tue May 25, 2010 2:16 pm

I'd love for Live to have the facility to handle lots of little clips as a group.
groupclips please.

tlennon

Post by tlennon » Tue May 25, 2010 5:14 pm

Angstrom wrote:I'd love for Live to have the facility to handle lots of little clips as a group.
groupclips please.
Very good thinking Ang. I could see that as well. Sounds like a good time to post it in Feature Wishlist if it hasn't been suggested b4.
Terrence Lennon

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Tue May 25, 2010 5:25 pm

heh, I made an annoying career out of it.

2005 says this
http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php? ... =metaclips

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Tue May 25, 2010 8:06 pm

headquest wrote:For people shifting away from Live (e.g. because of "quality" or just to get a new groove on) towards Record/Reason it will certainly make the transition a lot easier :) I'm in that category, and can't wait to try this out.

But I agree they are not the same thing. In fact BLOCKS <TM> is more like the Cubase "Arranger Track", though it basically looks better/easier/faster to use.
I cant imagin anyone actually moving from a regular DAW to Reason/Record - they would just miss so much if they had a half decent collection of plugins. They are however quite useful tools to have handy to go along side an existing DAW, but comp[ared to working in Live, I find arranging in Record/Reason quite painful, with one exception - that mixer in Record.

They seem to have this mindset of producing great reliable components, but then completely failing build on them enough to make them primary go-to tools. The excellent time stretch in record being a great example - absolute minimal possible feature set around the algorythm that all but cripples its usefulness.
Nothing to see here - move along!

headquest

Post by headquest » Tue May 25, 2010 8:50 pm

I cant imagin anyone actually moving from a regular DAW to Reason/Record - they would just miss so much if they had a half decent collection of plugins. They are however quite useful tools to have handy to go along side an existing DAW, but comp[ared to working in Live, I find arranging in Record/Reason quite painful, with one exception - that mixer in Record.
Well VST plugins seem to get a big share of the blame around here (and elsewhere) for the stability problems in Live 8. So a closed system such as Reason makes quite a lot of sense... I've used it since version 2 and found it very reliable.

That said, Cubase 5 is my main DAW. I have used Live since v2 and Reason also since v2 - both as scratchpads in effect. The cost of keeping both up to date, getting samples and add-ons that are increasingly locked to just one programme, etc... is high. Before Live 8 I had been planning to quietly "retire" Reason, but given the problems with Live 8 I kept it on board and have played "wait and see". The reality is that since this time last year Ableton have continued to have big problems getting Live 8 release-ready, while for their part Propellerhead have announced, beta tested and released their "Record" (which if nothing else is a great Reason upgrade) and now have Reason 5 and Record 1.5 waiting at the door. So not only the stability, but also the momentum seems to be very much with them at this point. I don't expect Live 9 for another 18 months given the current situation, by which time there will undoubtedly have been a Record 2.0 and maybe Reason 6.0 ...

Listen on Soundcloud

starving student

Post by starving student » Tue May 25, 2010 8:55 pm

good to see you again headquest, i remember when you went crazy :lol:

lapieuvre

Post by lapieuvre » Wed May 26, 2010 3:40 am

Performer had that, before it was called Digital performer... What an innovation! (1995 or so)

The Daw that is the closest to live (though still far) is Sonar 8.5 with its Matrix view.
MBP 2018, 16 GB Ram, OSX 10.15.7
MBP M1 Max 64 GB Ram, OSX 14.3.1
Live 10.1.43 Suite
Live 11.3.21
Live 12 Beta
Interface : Apollo Twin duo

dazzer

Post by dazzer » Wed May 26, 2010 4:15 am

starving student wrote:good to see you again headquest, i remember when you went crazy :lol:
True dat. However, if you want to find Headquest, just look on EVERY single thread on KVR that is critical of Ableton, you'll find him there... [which is, of course, fine and totally his right to do, just trying to help you guys link up :-)]

deva

Post by deva » Wed May 26, 2010 5:11 am

dazzer wrote:
starving student wrote:good to see you again headquest, i remember when you went crazy :lol:
True dat. However, if you want to find Headquest, just look on EVERY single thread on KVR that is critical of Ableton, you'll find him there... [which is, of course, fine and totally his right to do, just trying to help you guys link up :-)]
Oh, come on... I bet there is at least a couple threads he missed! :lol: