mastering Dj in Live question

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
andyb19844

mastering Dj in Live question

Post by andyb19844 » Tue May 25, 2010 1:42 pm

A FEW QUESTIONS HERE
1-THis is a question for expierenced people that make techno & house , preferably long DJ sets. Ok got a set and I have alot bass lines pumping hi hats different basslines snares melodys. Do you you guys
A) put a compressor on the master to put a whip on all the channels and tame the bass , and everyting else and if so what do you use,,compressor,mastering vintage,Limiter,etc etc
B), or just put whatever racks on seperate channels as i did like vintage mastering 2. ,Snare compressor,eq,etc , etc

i noticed that even though i have good studio monitors everything doesnt sounds tied together or at the right levels when theres different racks on seperate channels and maybe i was thinking a rack on the master would do this ,, keep in mind i would like so still be able to send this away to be mastered professionally ,so i still need some dynamics.

2)- ALSO i do alot of knob turning via the acp40 . In the begining of my set i have a Vintage mastering 2 rack on my kick, i do a trick where i turn the " compression gain " and it gives this fat sound to by bass like turning a decay up or sustain . but when i render it to wav and play on other speakers it doesnt sound as fat almost synthetic,doesnt hit as hard, well obviously prolly cause im turnign up the compression so its putting a squeeze on it. Just curious if there is any ableton thing in the ableton audio effect rack that you guys would recommend to give your bass a phater sound, not to just sound clearer but to give it that low sustain or like when your crank the decay up.

FEEL FREE TO GIVE YOUR FAVORTIIE RACKS ON WHAT CHANNELS FOR KICKS,SYNTHS,SNARES ETC.

danabus

Re: mastering Dj in Live question

Post by danabus » Tue May 25, 2010 2:24 pm

your going to send a DJ mix to be mastered? unless you are putting out a GU cd or something that doesn't make much sense to me. Also what you are doing in the mix sounds kinda sketchy, if you are having to do all of that to make the tracks sound good then the tracks need some work first. I would just put a limiter on the master to tame any wild peaks...

andyb19844

Post by andyb19844 » Tue May 25, 2010 3:03 pm

danabus wrote:your going to send a DJ mix to be mastered? unless you are putting out a GU cd or something that doesn't make much sense to me. Also what you are doing in the mix sounds kinda sketchy, if you are having to do all of that to make the tracks sound good then the tracks need some work first. I would just put a limiter on the master to tame any wild peaks...
I should have specified im not using acutal MP3's or wavs there sounds from ableton so the racks just give them better sound when im mixing pumping bass,,compressor snares etc etc ,, alot of people send away mmixes to profeesionaly mastered ...?? Unless i had some real mastering stuff like waves or even izotopes maybe i wouldnt but i dont right now

simonlb

Post by simonlb » Tue May 25, 2010 3:35 pm

I'm confused, are you DJing or making music?

andyb19844

Post by andyb19844 » Tue May 25, 2010 3:40 pm

simonlb wrote:I'm confused, are you DJing or making music?
Sorry man i should have specified , im making beats all in ableton ,sorry i still call in a Dj set ,,because im doin it live like a performance with Numerous drum racks ,plugins like Kontakt,massive,absynth ,battery etc.

I had and idea though. What if i make one track at a time ,.Then just start a fresh Dj set of my own beats ( just mixing my created wav files together),like a compilation of all my sepearte tracks into one set, its seems easier that way and saves space on my apc 40