I can't save anymore !!! Please help. - video inside

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Sarrova-Q

I can't save anymore !!! Please help. - video inside

Post by Sarrova-Q » Fri May 28, 2010 9:41 am

Hi. Can anybody help me please?

Sorry I already posted this here http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=143518 but I have the feeling this part of the forum is the most read and will get me the quickest answer. I wouldn't do this when I had the time to wait, but I'm in the studio and getting behind with my work.
I also mailed to Ableton support of course, but I got the standard "We're currently dealing with a lot of mails and therefore it might take us a little longer than usual to get back to you." reply.

Live crashes when I try to save a new set. This happens with Live 8.1.3 and with the latest beta 8.1.4b1
It crashes when I hit the save button and sometimes when I just do the command-s keystroke (so even before I'm browsing my folders) 8O .

The latest versions are crashing with things that worked okay before but I can't go back because I made lots of tracks in these newer versions.

I didn't change anything or didn't install something, everything is exactly the same as before and from one moment to the other I can't save any-more (and I know how stupid that sounds ...). How is this even possible ?!!!
This is starting to be a real nightmare now ...
I now have 178 (!) bug reports on my MBP, and I did send a lot of them to the ableton team.

Quote from the first reply mail I got from Ableton:
"Please note that this email account is not read by a person; it only collects these bug reports and prepares them for automated analysis."
I hope this works. It's understandable but the thing is that I like to write what happened and it seems that they just collect the bug report files.

Ableton, please get your act together this is so unprofessional and very frustrating for users.
Look at the vid in the link to see what happens every single time (in beta and in normal version).

http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/7033/a ... hmpeg4.mp4

I have work that needs to get finished and I'm loosing money because of this kind of problems.
(money that isn't compensated...)

Please, if anyone has any tips let me know, I already tried:
- rebooting everything
- deleting all my plugs from the template
- saving in other locations/maps
- quitting automap
- deleting stuff from my HD (I have 60 GB free atm)
- checking the memory but Live only goes to 300 mb in the template (so not the usual crash when it uses 2,25 GB or more)

Should I delete some Live settings/maps/whatever/ ... Which ones ? Should I do something else ?
Thank you !

Users that have a stable version should be so happy now - my advice: DON'T CHANGE ANYTHING !

. . Working on:
. . MBP, 2.66-GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
. . 4GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM
. . Serial ATA-disk 320 GB (7200 rpm
. . OSX 10.6.3 Snow Leopard
. . Macbook is ONLY used for music production - not for surfing, watching vids, pics, playing games, .....

. . RME Fireface 400

. . Maschine 1.5
. . Launchpad
. . SL49 MK2 with Automap 3.4.1
. . Live 8.1.4b1 Suite

Thanks for the help.

Sigh .. I'm desperate right now :cry:

bicarbone

Re: I can't save anymore !!! Please help. - video inside

Post by bicarbone » Fri May 28, 2010 11:02 am

Hi,

I don't have much of a clue, but did you try deleting your preferences.cfg file and your template set? Before you do that, check when your template.als was last modified. Were you able to save it after removing your template plug-ins?

Both of these files are located in user/library/preferences/ableton/live 8.1.X/

Hope someone comes up with a clearer idea of what's happening to you.
|soundcloud|

MBP 2.2 GHz i7 quad 10.7.5 8GB ram | Live9suite | Reaper | Metric Halo ULN-2 + DSP | PSI A21-M active monitors | Littlepapercones passive speakers | Studer 169 analog mixer

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Fri May 28, 2010 11:06 am

Sarrova-Q wrote:Quote from the first reply mail I got from Ableton:
"Please note that this email account is not read by a person; it only collects these bug reports and prepares them for automated analysis."
I hope this works. It's understandable but the thing is that I like to write what happened and it seems that they just collect the bug report files.
bugs@ableton collects bug reports and goes to the developers who don't interact with users.
support@ableton goes to support and their job is to interact with users and developers.

bicarbone

Post by bicarbone » Fri May 28, 2010 11:07 am

And is this happening since you installed the latest beta? If so, then maybe you should get rid of it and go back to 8.1.3 with a clean install. Do you have time machine?
|soundcloud|

MBP 2.2 GHz i7 quad 10.7.5 8GB ram | Live9suite | Reaper | Metric Halo ULN-2 + DSP | PSI A21-M active monitors | Littlepapercones passive speakers | Studer 169 analog mixer

Sarrova-Q

Post by Sarrova-Q » Fri May 28, 2010 11:33 am

Yeah I have time machine so I'm not too afraid to loose data, but the strange thing is that I'm working with the beta from the beginning and I could save my projects the past weeks with no problems.
The save-crashing started yesterday without anything changed - not on my mac, not with ableton, not with controllers,... - , all is just like it was before and when I went back to the 'normal' 8.1.3 version (because I thought it was a beta problem) I couldn't save either.

But it's a pita, because going back to 8.1.3 means I can't use macro mappings because that version doesn't save the parameters (solved in the beta).
So that's not really a good solution.

I'm reinstalling the beta now...

Sarrova-Q

Post by Sarrova-Q » Fri May 28, 2010 11:38 am

Sarrova-Q wrote: I'm reinstalling the beta now...
With no luck, still crashing.

Could it be that there is something wrong or corrupted with my library/live-settings because of a certain crash (as a result of it) ?
Because the beta is only 366 mb, so there is still a lot of "old" data that it needs access to (I'm not a programmer so maybe this is total nonsense?)

Thx already for the fast replies, really appreciate that!

bicarbone

Post by bicarbone » Fri May 28, 2010 11:41 am

Ok. But have you tried deleting preferences.cfg and template set?
|soundcloud|

bicarbone

Post by bicarbone » Fri May 28, 2010 11:43 am

You could try "repair library" in ableton preferences... It might screw it, though, if you're using 8.1.3 library with the beta.

Don't know, sorry!
|soundcloud|

Sarrova-Q

Post by Sarrova-Q » Fri May 28, 2010 1:01 pm

bicarbone wrote:Ok. But have you tried deleting preferences.cfg and template set?
MAN I owe you !!! :D

Never thought of that. I just deleted some tracks in my own template to get rid of plugins and saved that as a new template.
So I guess the template file saves other stuff that I couldn't get access to by just saving a new template.

So I deleted the Template.als file ( for other users, it's in user - Library - Preferences - Ableton - Live x.x.x ) and everything works OK for now! (tried deleting the preferences.cfg file but that wasn't even necessary).
Strange thing is that I'm able to rebuild my template the same way it was without crashing now, and that I didn't change anything before to my template, it just began crashing suddenly. Really strange stuff. I guess there's still a lot of work for the Ableton code-programmers...

Thank you again, this is great !

Ha I even enjoy saying "back to work" now ;)

Cheers !
:D

bicarbone

Post by bicarbone » Fri May 28, 2010 1:07 pm

Glad to hear that! Yeah, obviously your template.als got corrupt in some way. Go figure why...

Cheers
|soundcloud|

Sarrova-Q

Post by Sarrova-Q » Fri May 28, 2010 5:38 pm

Okay for anyone who's interested what happened:

My template file got corrupted and live started crashing like nuts after I deleted a project in Finder (stupid not to do this from inside Live's browser, I know).
I don't get it what the template.als has to do with this, but I tried it and got the same result as before (crashing all over the place).
This could be important for users with lots of crashes.

So 3 things I learned:

1. When it's possible, never do a Live related action in Finder, use Ableton Live's browser instead.
2. Make sure live doesn't use more than 2.25 GB of memory
3. When you experience lots of crashes try deleting the preferences.cfg and/or template.als files (user - Library - Preferences - Ableton - Live x.x.x )

Curious if my other crashes are also less or even gone now ...

Thx for the help !