Which version of Ableton should I use?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
addicted2fiction

Which version of Ableton should I use?

Post by addicted2fiction » Sat May 29, 2010 12:13 am

I just purchased a used Mac Pro 2 X 3GHz dual-core Xeon with 12GB of RAM, running Snow Leopard 10.6. Been saving up for quite some time, this is quite a lot of money for me. My previous computer was an old Powerbook 1.67Ghz with 2GB of RAM, I just couldn't finish projects with such limited power. I don't perform much anymore; just wanted a nice, stable computer to produce music with.

My question is, do I go ahead and install Ableton Live Suite 8.1.3? I tend to prefer to stay on older versions that I know are stable but I am certainly open to installing the latest update if it runs smoothly. If this latest version is glitchy, how do I go about finding older version downloads on the Ableton site? Does this even exist? Any advice is greatly appreciated!
Powerbook G4 1.67GHz/2 GB RAM
Ableton Live Suite 8.0.2
Novation ReMOTE 25 SL

addicted2fiction

Re: Which version of Ableton should I use?

Post by addicted2fiction » Sat May 29, 2010 2:18 am

My intention in posting this question was not necessarily to follow the leader but more to see if anyone out there has had any issues. Thank you for reporting that you have not, it all helps.
Powerbook G4 1.67GHz/2 GB RAM
Ableton Live Suite 8.0.2
Novation ReMOTE 25 SL

Akshara

Post by Akshara » Sat May 29, 2010 6:48 pm

Considering your system and it being so new, I would install 8.1.3 and simply enjoy driving your new Audi. In all seriousness, 8.1.3 has been a very stable version for me, the best one since 8.0.9 and 7.0.18. The projects I'm working with are resource intensive and would sometimes crash 8.1.1.
If this latest version is glitchy, how do I go about finding older version downloads on the Ableton site? Does this even exist?
Older versions aren't available for download through the site, so you would need to contact Ableton support. Some users archive older versions, and may be willing to share.

HeadrickProductions

Post by HeadrickProductions » Sat May 29, 2010 6:52 pm

addicted2fiction wrote:I just purchased a used Mac Pro 2 X 3GHz dual-core Xeon with 12GB of RAM, running Snow Leopard 10.6. Been saving up for quite some time, this is quite a lot of money for me. My previous computer was an old Powerbook 1.67Ghz with 2GB of RAM, I just couldn't finish projects with such limited power. I don't perform much anymore; just wanted a nice, stable computer to produce music with.

My question is, do I go ahead and install Ableton Live Suite 8.1.3? I tend to prefer to stay on older versions that I know are stable but I am certainly open to installing the latest update if it runs smoothly. If this latest version is glitchy, how do I go about finding older version downloads on the Ableton site? Does this even exist? Any advice is greatly appreciated!

There are alot of "ableton forums" out there. This one gets a lot of folks who are in the marketing department so you are going to get a lot of the fan boy mentality here.

I'd post in multiple places to get a variety of responses.

since I'm not on mac my responses will not help.

I've heard great things about live 7
In a K induced Haze (the old K kind not the special K kind ), but an Asian spizz can sometimes bring me out! If ya don't get it, ya never will.

Swing like your life depends on it

Akshara

Post by Akshara » Sat May 29, 2010 7:53 pm

I've heard great things about live 7
Both 7.0.16 and 7.0.18 were very stable for me on Leopard 10.5.6 and 10.5.8.

Frankly, if stability is the main concern, you may find greater stability by downgrading to OS X 10.5.8, if your system is able to install it. I know this from direct experience, having gone through all three versions of 10.6 while struggling to keep this system rock solid for live performance, and am now back on 10.5.8 again, and am much happier.

Which is all irrelevant if your hardware requires 10.6.3. If it does, then you are already surfing the bleeding edge anyway, so I say go ahead and give Live 8.1.3 a try.

gerard

Post by gerard » Sat May 29, 2010 11:57 pm

MBP 2,5ghz
Live8
Maschine - AK1

http://www.myspace.com/milestoperdition

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sun May 30, 2010 9:06 am

Think dudes talking about 8 specifically, his sig has 8.02 listed.
From what I hear 8.1.3 is as stable as your 8.0.2. If you own a copy of Live 7 too, then its up to you.

I'm still on 7, as money is tight, and a show is pending.

supamonsta

Post by supamonsta » Sun May 30, 2010 10:07 am

Lots of people have great experience with Live 8 and Snow leopard

lots have problems too

What I'm sure, is that 10.5.8 + live 7.0.18 is rock solid.

I won't comment for other systems / version ;)

good luck!