Post your set up and your sexy cat...

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Cowlash

Re: Post your set up and your sexy cat...

Post by Cowlash » Thu May 27, 2010 12:19 pm

SubFunk wrote:^^^ smart

and how much of a sonic improvement is it?

When I clap now, I hear the echo next door :lol:

The room sounds really good now. It didnt fix it 'dead', theres still a bit of a light 'ting' in the air, but its so much better than it was. What I am finding strange is when I type, the keyboard sounds different lol

One thing I am curious about is, on the back of the speakers, shall I still keep the -4db switch going, or can I run them without the high pass now the room has all this treatment?

I tried it earlier and noticed a little bit of resonance on certain tones, but only very little. I'm just wondering if its better to keep them rolled off or put up with the slight problem to gain a fuller lower end (as I wont be adding a sub to such a small room)

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Thu May 27, 2010 12:27 pm

the high pass is a matter of try and error, i really can't tell how much the treatment 'solved' the issue or not.
*** Image GAFM ***

tlennon

Post by tlennon » Thu May 27, 2010 7:03 pm

@Inch-You did an excellent job man. :D
Terrence Lennon

madhattared

Post by madhattared » Fri May 28, 2010 2:04 am

Beautiful work IL
Live 7 hackintosh 10.5.2 q6600 raptor 4gig x3d pk FW410 bcr2k xboard49 Ultrasone DJ1 BM5a

heavensdaw

Post by heavensdaw » Fri May 28, 2010 8:09 am

madhattared wrote:Beautiful work IL
Aye tis tru dat!

v nice!!

How long did it take you to put all them traps together?

Hd

Furland

Post by Furland » Sat May 29, 2010 7:09 am

Fantastic Job Inch Lo! I'm just happy you could use the advice and you get massive thumbs up with the result! :D
It's a pain in the royal ... to make those holes, and I'm going through a similar process, albeit with a slightly different design overall, but your patience with doing all that is Padawan-Worthy!!!

You make do with what you have, and i'm sure the things you have done will contribute positively to your listening experience. Then go to step 2 and buy a new house ;-)

As an Idea, you can actually make the missing corner panel as a "gobo" thereby getting better symmetry in your lower rear corner, as that doorway might skew your sound perception slightly. Did you make the upper rear corner as a stradling panel or as superchunk-style basstraps? Remember if possible, to space them from the walls as that will add greatly to the absorptive result.

Regards,
Thomas

33tetragammon

Post by 33tetragammon » Sun May 30, 2010 12:19 pm

Inch Lo wrote:Thanks for all the comments everyone, I finally finished this little project for now.

I uploaded a couple of pics last night for those that were interested in the project.

I still have to clean up the mess :D

8O 8O

awesome job,Inch Lo!!!!!

i already have acoustic treatment,which makes my studio sound good,but it looks absolutely horrible(their color is black).
this truly inspires me to do something like you did!

thanks very much!!!

jesso

Post by jesso » Sun May 30, 2010 8:23 pm

Great job! Looks swanky. Fair play to you.

kev4407

Post by kev4407 » Mon May 31, 2010 3:28 am

my cat pickle groovin' hard like usual. 8)
kevin

tlennon

Post by tlennon » Mon May 31, 2010 5:26 am

:lol:
Terrence Lennon

djsynchro

Post by djsynchro » Mon May 31, 2010 7:29 am

djsynchro

Post by djsynchro » Mon May 31, 2010 7:53 am

cherry-k

Post by cherry-k » Mon May 31, 2010 8:02 am

very nice stetup djsynchro.
what bass and guitar are the ones on the last picture.
and what music do you produce with it?

cheeers, michael
cheers, michael

*MacOS 10.8*iMac-i7*32GB*motu ultralite mk1*
*Live 3-9 suite*AD*AK*AmpegSVX*
*tubeamps*guild-guitars+basses*and myself*

need real guitar- or bass-trax??? send PM!

Cowlash

Post by Cowlash » Mon May 31, 2010 10:20 am

SubFunk wrote:the high pass is a matter of try and error, i really can't tell how much the treatment 'solved' the issue or not.
Thanks again for all the kind words everyone. It was quite a bit more of a job than I thought it would be when I first started, so I'm happy it came out ok in the end :)

SubFunk I set the speakers to -2db roll off and it sounds great now. No resonance issues and a great sound, the best I've heard from the Genelecs so far. Happy days!

Heavensdaw Building the traps didn't take that long. It was all the prep work before hand that took the time. The holes took the longest, and were the biggest pain in the ass. I did all the work over a few days, but it took over a week of organising things - I had to buy some tools as well before I started.

Furland I thought about cutting full-length panels out of the sides of the frames to make it easier, but once I got the first long strip finished I realised they wouldn't be strong enough to hold the trap together. With the holes, they are weak, but strong enough to keep the structure secure. If you notice I didn't make the holes all the way down, I left space at the ends for connecting everything securely. Something you might want to consider when you do yours.

I just moved in with the girlfriend, so buying a better house might be a bit far off yet - but I'll be keeping all of this in mind for the next move :D

I have them all a few cm's off the walls, but as I'm limited for space, that's all I could do. The left-rear corner trap is the same, but there is a shelf that holds a printer etc in there, so it goes on top of it and to the ceiling.

The other issue I had with the room was I was told not to make a load of holes in the walls and furniture because we're not planning on staying. So the majority of the project was done without damaging the room. Which also meant I couldnt remove the fitted dressing table to the left, or the wardrobe at the back of the room. A pain, but nothing to complain too much about :)

33tetragammon I chose the bright red because I thought the rest of the room was very clinical (although I liked how clean it was). It needed something bright to change the atmosphere. Its really cosy now and feels like a creative space without feeling overcrowded. Maybe you could pick up some material and cover your existing traps to breathe some new life in there?

:)

Furland

Post by Furland » Mon May 31, 2010 10:50 am

Inch Lo wrote:Something you might want to consider when you do yours.
I have been procrastinating my own build for years now, so believe me any possible angle and design has been thoroughly tried and tested, which leaves me with the same experience as yours. Currently working on getting my mind around a QRD diffusor for the rear wall, and that's not even very hard!
WIll show when done :-)