iPad

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
Slightlydelic

Re: My New iPad: Daily Reports!

Post by Slightlydelic » Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:47 am

LoopStationZebra wrote:Report #8
May 31, 2010

ST8 has added drumpads and keys to his LiveControl app; which just raised the value of the iPad 10fold.

Latency isn't noticeable at all.

Oh, and there's no IM app on this thing. Fail.

i just loaded the Livecontrol up on the ipod touch, fuckinell its amaising even on the little screen, the ipad must be a serious game changer, and i gota get me one. soon i hope.

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:07 am

Ja.

Having trouble though getting the new pads/ keys to work on a consistent basis. Have you had better luck?
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:21 pm

LoopStationZebra wrote:Report #8
May 31, 2010

ST8 has added drumpads and keys to his LiveControl app; which just raised the value of the iPad 10fold.

Latency isn't noticeable at all.
You've been giving this app a lot of press time on the forum, and although it looks cool, I fail to get that excited about it. I used TouchOSC on the iPhone and the fun was over for me in about 2 days, neat that it could be done but nothing that I couldn't do just as well with a hardware controller, especially with the dawn of grid matrix controllers.

So what's the big dealio, yo?

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:39 pm

The Big Dealio is that the app also gives you secret Life Lessons in the form of smart little pop-up messages during a set that will very quickly make you into a better person. I can't tell you what those messages are because, um, they're a secret. But believe-you-me, they are LIFE CHANGING. Okay, one of them was "SIDE CHAINING IS A HORRID CRUTCH FOR PEOPLE THAT HAVE NO SOUL". 8O

:lol:

Okay, well, seriously now (and you know I'm going to say this, don't you?), a big part of the excitement is the extra screen real estate that the iPad affords. I too played around with the iPhone as a control and gave up on it in far less time than you...lol. About 2 hours of finger fiddling *insert dum joke here* and I was like, "wow. fucking horrid little thing."

The other thing, and equally as important, is that there hasn't been a touch controller app as comprehensive as LiveControl. Now it's got drum pads AND keys. I still haven't seen a Lemur controller template that incorporates those 2 items as part of a comprehensive package. :lol: If it's out there, I'd be curious to see it. In fact, the much touted (but still not released) midipad app doesn't appear to have drum pads as of yet.

The exciting thing for me is that I'm trying to get down to ONE controller, and this is going to do that for me. All I want on stage is my laptop and iPad and Sticks. In and out, baby. BAM! Dragging a bunch of other shit around is just not what I want to be doing at this point, lol. And, dare I say it, I actually PREFER the smoothness of the glass in terms of controllers and pads. People complain about 'lack of tactile interface' with touchscreen, but I'd argue that the smooth surface IS a new form of tactile interface that actually allows for SMOOTHER wipes and fades and transitions. Well, at least it FEELS smoother anyway, lololol.

So, that's it beatsie. It's really about getting down to one controller.

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:53 pm

LoopStationZebra wrote:The Big Dealio is that the app also gives you secret Life Lessons in the form of smart little pop-up messages during a set that will very quickly make you into a better person. I can't tell you what those messages are because, um, they're a secret. But believe-you-me, they are LIFE CHANGING. Okay, one of them was "SIDE CHAINING IS A HORRID CRUTCH FOR PEOPLE THAT HAVE NO SOUL". 8O

Okay, well, seriously now (and you know I'm going to say this, don't you?), a big part of the excitement is the extra screen real estate that the iPad affords. I too played around with the iPhone as a control and gave up on it in far less time than you...lol. About 2 hours of finger fiddling *insert dum joke here* and I was like, "wow. fucking horrid little thing."

The other thing, and equally as important, is that there hasn't been a touch controller app as comprehensive as LiveControl. Now it's got drum pads AND keys. I still haven't seen a Lemur controller template that incorporates those 2 items as part of a comprehensive package. :lol: If it's out there, I'd be curious to see it. In fact, the much touted (but still not released) midipad app doesn't appear to have drum pads as of yet.

The exciting thing for me is that I'm trying to get down to ONE controller, and this is going to do that for me. All I want on stage is my laptop and iPad and Sticks. In and out, baby. BAM! Dragging a bunch of other shit around is just not what I want to be doing at this point, lol. And, dare I say it, I actually PREFER the smoothness of the glass in terms of controllers and pads. People complain about 'lack of tactile interface' with touchscreen, but I'd argue that the smooth surface IS a new form of tactile interface that actually allows for SMOOTHER wipes and fades and transitions. Well, at least it FEELS smoother anyway, lololol.

So, that's it beatsie. It's really about getting down to one controller.
Got ya. Can you design your own layout or are you stuck with a handful stock layouts? I won't get excited unless you can fully design whatever layout pops into your head, complete with resizable elements.

Really I think somebody (some company?) needs to take a full look at the lemur and what it can do instead of just delivering a basket full of the obvious, but I'm sure the coding would be much more extensive.

I'm still laughing that there's a mixer app being sold for $100, the balls of the company for selling it for that much and the idiocy of the people buying it.

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:01 pm

beats me wrote: Can you design your own layout or are you stuck with a handful stock layouts?

Excellent question, and one that I've wondered myself but haven't as of yet fully looked into.....

From what I gather you absolutely can design your own, but that *and here's where things get sketchy in my understanding* it's more than just moving graphics around a template to change layouts and add cool new colors or new kinds of controllers and such. I believe it's much more like MAX of M4L; where you have this impossibly obtuse schematic diagram and you have to make all your 'connections' by hand and really have a firm understanding of a whole bunch of Live API shit that I absolutely don't care about. :lol:

I'm totally open to being wrong on this point, and hope I am. Gotta do more research. :|

Right now I've got no serious issues with the LiveControl layout. There's little bugs that are of concern (and I did managed to find a method to always get a stable connection), and minor features that could be added (pitchbend on the keys page), but other than that I'm good to go. I mean, it's not like I can change the layout of my other controllers anyway. :)

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:31 pm

LoopStationZebra wrote:
beats me wrote: Can you design your own layout or are you stuck with a handful stock layouts?

Excellent question, and one that I've wondered myself but haven't as of yet fully looked into.....

From what I gather you absolutely can design your own, but that *and here's where things get sketchy in my understanding* it's more than just moving graphics around a template to change layouts and add cool new colors or new kinds of controllers and such. I believe it's much more like MAX of M4L; where you have this impossibly obtuse schematic diagram and you have to make all your 'connections' by hand and really have a firm understanding of a whole bunch of Live API shit that I absolutely don't care about. :lol:

I'm totally open to being wrong on this point, and hope I am. Gotta do more research. :|

Right now I've got no serious issues with the LiveControl layout. There's little bugs that are of concern (and I did managed to find a method to always get a stable connection), and minor features that could be added (pitchbend on the keys page), but other than that I'm good to go. I mean, it's not like I can change the layout of my other controllers anyway. :)
Yeah, an M4L option is something I wouldn't be interested in. I haven't seen 1 M4L device or even a collection of M4L devices that makes it worth the price of admission for me, especially if there's a "tweak to your needs" disclaimer. I have no interest in working under the hood.

I'm hoping there will be some kind of Logic Main Stage interface being released for the iPad because Main Stage let's you design your own layout sort of like a more extensive and open Kore, so I would think an iPad app would have similar possibilities and then you could implement it with other programs.

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:37 pm

beats me wrote: Yeah, an M4L option is something I wouldn't be interested in. I haven't seen 1 M4L device or even a collection of M4L devices that makes it worth the price of admission for me, especially if there's a "tweak to your needs" disclaimer. I have no interest in working under the hood.
Sorry, you might have misunderstood me. The creation of a new OSC template is, I believe, a SIMILAR process to creating M4L patches. There isn't an 'M4L option', so to speak.

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:04 pm

LoopStationZebra wrote:
beats me wrote: Yeah, an M4L option is something I wouldn't be interested in. I haven't seen 1 M4L device or even a collection of M4L devices that makes it worth the price of admission for me, especially if there's a "tweak to your needs" disclaimer. I have no interest in working under the hood.
Sorry, you might have misunderstood me. The creation of a new OSC template is, I believe, a SIMILAR process to creating M4L patches. There isn't an 'M4L option', so to speak.
Well then that decidedly cancels out the revolutionary and magical factors of the iPad and the user recommendation rating would have to be changed from the usual "4+" to "25+ an engineering degree".

8O

Post by 8O » Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:51 pm

Hi,

It can't be charged via a laptop's USB port; need to always use the supplied power supply, right?

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:04 pm

beats me wrote:
LoopStationZebra wrote:
Well then that decidedly cancels out the revolutionary and magical factors of the iPad and the user recommendation rating would have to be changed from the usual "4+" to "25+ an engineering degree".

*I'm laughing but actually have no clue as to your point. But it sure as shit SEEMS funny!*

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:11 pm

8O wrote:Hi,

It can't be charged via a laptop's USB port; need to always use the supplied power supply, right?

That's right. Needs at least 10w of power; which all computers except those very recently released can provide at the USB ports.

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:16 pm

LoopStationZebra wrote:
8O wrote:Hi,

That's right. Needs at least 10w of power; which all computers except those very recently released can provide at the USB ports.
Hmm, so it will charge from a 2008 MBP but not a 2009 MBP? I'm pretty sure it has charged from my 2008.
Unsound Designer

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:31 pm

LoopStationZebra wrote: :lol:

*I'm laughing but actually have no clue as to your point. But it sure as shit SEEMS funny!*
My point is, if nothing else, the iPad is supposed to be user friendly which is part of the "magical and revolutionary" package. Anything that involves some Max type under the hood programming wouldn't fit into that usability standard.

But I'm also somewhat surprised there aren't more apps with some kind of middle man application where doing some of work or design by the user would be better performed on your computer. Maybe Apple makes this extremely difficult to implement, but I vaguely remember Jobs mentioning something about a "test on your computer" part of the development kit. I don't see why they couldn't release a "runtime" lolwtfbff version where the developer could lock down most of the coding but give the end user control over certain elements. Maybe this is already being done. Clues: I'm short many.

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:22 pm

beats me wrote:
LoopStationZebra wrote: :lol:

My point is, if nothing else, the iPad is supposed to be user friendly which is part of the "magical and revolutionary" package. Anything that involves some Max type under the hood programming wouldn't fit into that usability standard.

But I'm also somewhat surprised there aren't more apps with some kind of middle man application where doing some of work or design by the user would be better performed on your computer. Maybe Apple makes this extremely difficult to implement, but I vaguely remember Jobs mentioning something about a "test on your computer" part of the development kit. I don't see why they couldn't release a "runtime" lolwtfbff version where the developer could lock down most of the coding but give the end user control over certain elements. Maybe this is already being done. Clues: I'm short many.

Ayuh. Got ya.

Don't think Apple has any say really because the TouchOSC editor is a separate piece of software not connected with iTunes and not loaded on your device.

Check this out. I think I was correct in my assumption:

http://www.gadgetcracker.com/2009/06/ho ... eton-live/

It's the same sort of MAX type diagramming that you must use in order to get a custom layout working. What's needed is for somebody to develop a layout tool for Live and a touch device that is 100% intuitive - where you need not bother with those mind-numbing schematic diagrams.

Well, the Lemur actually offers that kind of 'quick layout' option, but it's...ya know....$2000. :lol:

But I certainly agree. The real goal here is an app that also has a beautiful desktop piece that would allow you unlimited yet easy control over designing your own layouts. I think we'll see it sooner rather than later.