reverse drum samples

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
lozoz

reverse drum samples

Post by lozoz » Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:20 am

hi there, i've created a drum pattern in drum racks and for the last bar in a 16 bar pattern i'd like to alter the pattern slightly and also reverse the drum samples to add some tension before the drop. is this possible within drum racks and how best would i do it? thanks

Isturite-

Re: reverse drum samples

Post by Isturite- » Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:49 am

by default, all of your samples in drum rack are loaded into a simpler for each one... hence the name sample player...

if you want to just reverse the beat, and not each individual sample, then u can record the drum loop and reverse inside the clip editor

unless you have Live Suite... then you have to do it the long way..... if you have suite, then just drag a sampler onto each simpler, this is because sampler has a reverse function, whereas simpler does not...

if you don't have suite and are stuck with using just simpler then what you are going to have to do (unless somebody can correct me with an easier way) is take each sample that is in the drum kit and put it into arrangement or session window into an audio track, then dbl click the sample's clip and press the Rev. button next to the clip's volume and transpose

your best bet is to create a 2nd drum rack specifically for the reversed samples.... whether you have suite or not... you are reversing audio so each sample is going to need it's own area, because switching back and forth from reverse to regular will be much more work and maybe not even possible
Kevin Welch
[Isturite]

http://www.soundcloud.com/isturite

Bee Dub

Post by Bee Dub » Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:54 am

Isturite- wrote:by default, all of your samples in drum rack are loaded into a simpler for each one... hence the name sample player...

if you want to just reverse the beat, and not each individual sample, then u can record the drum loop and reverse inside the clip editor

unless you have Live Suite... then you have to do it the long way..... if you have suite, then just drag a sampler onto each simpler, this is because sampler has a reverse function, whereas simpler does not...

if you don't have suite and are stuck with using just simpler then what you are going to have to do (unless somebody can correct me with an easier way) is take each sample that is in the drum kit and put it into arrangement or session window into an audio track, then dbl click the sample's clip and press the Rev. button next to the clip's volume and transpose

your best bet is to create a 2nd drum rack specifically for the reversed samples.... whether you have suite or not... you are reversing audio so each sample is going to need it's own area, because switching back and forth from reverse to regular will be much more work and maybe not even possible
he nailed it, if you don't have sampler, take the individual sample and put it in a audio track and then double click and hit 'Rev'; drag the sample back into drum kit or impulse.

lozoz

Post by lozoz » Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:26 am

thanks guys, that's great. i have sampler so can do it that way but any ideas on the quickest way to do it?

would you simply rebuild the kit from scratch on a new midi track using samplers or can i duplicate the track and then switch the simplers for samplers?

Isturite, when i drag a sampler on to the simpler it erases the sample, is there any way round this? cheers!

jonathan harker

Post by jonathan harker » Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:04 am

right click on simpler and choose simpler-sampler . that´s it! cheers!

lozoz

Post by lozoz » Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:34 pm

genius! thank you!

Isturite-

Post by Isturite- » Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:24 am

right click on simpler and choose simpler-sampler . that´s it! cheers!
ah sweet man! didn't actually know about this, very useful
Kevin Welch
[Isturite]

http://www.soundcloud.com/isturite

jasper

Post by jasper » Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:06 pm

Actually, he didn't "nail it"...
you can't drag samples from drum rack to an audio track.

Do "show in broswer" then put the sample into an audio track, then reverse it, then put it into drum rack again.